Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Biker guy

Dubb
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Dubb polycounter lvl 17
First time posting work here. This is also my first ever game character. Definitly learning a TON on this project. Here is the high rez sculpt used to bake out normals with Ultimapper in XSI.
rebel25thumb.jpg
and here is the low rez guy (5760 tris) with normal+diffuse:
rebel23thumb.jpg
The diffuse map I'm not quite happy with. Need to make his belt buckle shiny and just overall polish off the textures more. Also pull the shirt mesh into the torso more so that it's not too bulged out and give him a few loops more in the head to round out the silhouette a bit more. I'll spend a couple more days or so on it tops. I really need to get more stuff done up for the demo reel so I can land that dream job in the video game industry. Any crits, suggestions, texture painting tutorial links, clues or cookies you can toss my way would be greatly appreciated!
-W-

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    That looks great Dubb! Welcome. Some stuff in here has been really nicely executed. I love how the jeans fit around the boots in the hi poly.
    Minor crit: The wifebeater just doesn't seem flush enough to his body. It seems like it's hovering on top of him in places.

Good stuff.
  • Dubb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubb polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Daz,
    Thanks for the crit! Yeah, it is hovering and I'm thinking that's what may be causing some issues on the fringes of the shirts normal map when baking it out. I might try and go back into Z and pull the high rez into place a bit better and see if that fixes things. I visited your site......you're texture skills made me quiver. With that high poly tut you have, is that the same process you use for low poly texture painting pretty much?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    For the most part yeah, but tbh I'd tend to put more form into the textures for an in game model versus a pre-rendered model, even If it's normal mapped. It just kinda makes it pop a bit more.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, very impressive work. I think I've seen that guy around Bartell's Harley Davidson in Marina Del Rey. Really nice individuality on this. Solid skills, man.

Scott
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I thibnk yuo need to have soem sharper edges in your high res model. looks a bit 'ghosty'at the moment and when you apply the textures they are tending to obscure the normal map.
    For the jeans for example yuo could start off with a flat blue texture, overlay a denim pattern , then add a deaturated version of the normal map as an overlay to pick out some detail.
    Right now it looks as though you hasve painted all the highlights/lowlights in to the diffuse map

I think some harsher creases in the tshirt would help too
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like the dad from American Chopper on Discovery! smile.gif
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    nice model dubb, welcome to polycount.
  • Dubb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubb polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys. Yeah, Paulie Sr. was my reference for this one. That guy looks to be one tough nugget. Ruz, thanks for the suggestions. I will definitly try to implement the pants technique!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    nice site dub...
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jub like it a lot!!.. but for the lowpoly you should try to push the diff-texture a bit more..

i think its too clean at the moment
    (don´t know.. is this blurrynes bc of the texturesice, the render or the txture?)

the boots are stunning.. don´t touch them wink.gif and the skin is nice too, maybe it could be also pushed a bit more ?!?!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    trousers texture looks a little low quality, tattoo is a strange colour. I think you could have got away with a much lower polycount by making the t-shirt just a texture / normal map, instead of modelling it.

tattoos age with a blue tint, not brown smile.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Turned out great dubb. smile.gif Welcome to polycount!
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    This is some sweet work,
    like others have pointed out and I agree with them - that the textures could be pushed a little further. His clothes would defiantely benefit from some generic dirt being selectively applied to them. I'd also desaturate the pants a little and change the tattoo colour.

I'd also check his head size - the size of his hands and body suggest to me that his head is currently a little too small for his body!
    Keep posting!