Home Technical Talk

Wacom Graphire 6x8

Laheen
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Laheen polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys!

I'm looking into buying myself a Wacom, but the Graphire 6x8 is really the only one I can afford at the moment..

Has anyone tried it out? Is it any good for drawing? I could really use some advice and help on getting a good tablet that isn't too expensive, so yeah.

crazy.gif

Replies

• ebit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebit polycounter lvl 17
    Gaphires only have 512 levels of sensitivity but I've heard from some that you can't really tell the difference between 512 and 1024.

I personally have an Intuos2 4x5 for space reasons. It set me back $150, but it could be a little cheaper now as that was about two years ago. I'd say it was an excellent buy at the time, but my stroke does feel a bit cramped at times and am looking to upgrade to an Intuos2 6x8 myself. I just don't think I'll use the extra features (thumb strips) of the Intuos3.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Graphires are nice and the larger space shouyld make drawing easier provided you have enough space on your desk. I upgrade from a Graphire 4x5 to an intous 4x5. wink.gif I'm not sure it was worth it but I like my Intous. If I could do it over I would of upgraded to an Intous 2 6x8 instead.

Alex
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I used to have one of these, works fine for drawing. Obviously the bigger the wacom the more flexibility you're gonna get.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    6x8 is my favorite size, Graphire 3 6x8 was my first tablet, and i still like it smile.gif I'm using an Intuos 3 6x8 now. it all depends on how you're used to drawing, big or small. i also model with the tablet, so that size is perfect, its big enough for details but not too big where it becomes cumbersome. smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've used my roomates graphire and i have a intous and the 1024 levels of sensitivity thing is just marketing BS, opacity only goes from 1 to 100% anyway and if you find yourself needing to get to 37.3% as aposed to 37.4% opacity you are an extremely anal fuck, hahaha. Something that you may actually notice is that the intous tablets tan sense the angle of the stylus, atleast the newer ones can. Im not sure if my intous 2 does or not, but you'll only see this in programs like painter which actually take advantage of it.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    graphire4 stacks up pretty well next to intuos3. i use both, and the biggest difference is the feel of the hardware, the graphire feeling more toylike, imbalanced and flimsy.

if you're pressed for cash and need to go with a graphire3 instead, those are ok too, but are more prone to leaving jagged strokes if you move the pen too fast.
  • Laheen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laheen polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I've just ordered a graphire4 6x8 from harvey norman, so it should be here soon! laugh.gif

Is there any tablet related websites with lots of tutorial's I could use? Thanks for the advice also guys smile.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I still use my graphire 2 at home which I can work with fine, but have an intuous 2 at work.
    I suppose there is a noticeable difference,butt that may just be because my pc at work is so much faster.