Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ying Jao

ill_logic
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ill_logic polycounter lvl 17
hey all, first time posting on polycount, but i've been lurking forever here. this is a project i started on the weekend & have been working on & off on since.

yjwip001.jpg
yjwip002.jpg

the model's intended as an npc for a final fantasy style game but done in a style like the korean game artist xcloud with samurai champloo proportions. right now he's standing at 3080 triangles & that work in progess color map is 512x512. Just looking for thoughts. Thanks in advance!

-J

Replies

• StrangeFate
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    hmm i like the concept better so far.
    The model looks like a rather well suited up person, while the concept has a more baggy overall feel which makes the old man itself look even thinner in comparison and out place (in a good way).

I'd make the jacket arms like in the concept, they look worn and washed 100 times making it hang more, and have the pants match that look too.

I'm assuming you're not modeling the shirt and will just paint it, so the shirt lines in the model wont be how the actual shirt will look like (?)
  • ill_logic
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, strangefate! i tried to make his costume baggier & adjust as you suggested. as for the undershirt, i was thinking about trying to texture it off center but i just started laying down the base colors there & started detailing other parts. this is where i'm at now:

yjwip003.jpg

i want to give the tracksuit a unique design. something 'avian' as his name translates into 'eagle claw' after a martial arts style. i tried just chucking a simple firebird (like the car) type ensignia on the back but it wasn't jumping out at me. so i need to mess with it some more. thoughts?

-J
  • ill_logic
    Offline / Send Message
    yjwip004.jpg

more texture work. still can't find a design i'm happy with, seeing as the one i wanted to do didn't look so hot when i tried it. did have another idea though:

yjex1.jpg

i'm thicking about giving his suit that embroidered, chinese sort of silk where you get subtle designs in the textile in the different light? in that picture from tekken 5, it looks like they cheat & kind of use a color map, but does anyone know of a way to do it with a spec or diffuse map? i've tried before on other models with no real luck.

thanks

-J
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    its in the spec map.
  • ill_logic
    Offline / Send Message
    yjwip005.jpg
    thanks thegodzero. i added the spec with some other details. i guess it might have been shader settings on the previous models. it worked like a charm but exposed a bit of stretching so i toned them down. i'm thinking i'm ready to move onto rigging. thoughts? thanks!

-J
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hm...the texture lacks colors , mainly in the face, i know he might be the old chinese geezer but he should even have more colors ahaha. the texture of his clothing lacks definition, perhaps some more folds near the joint deformation area, more belieavable in my opinion.

good luck and keep it up !