Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

xB yourself

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
Started this evening on this. Gonna try for a final polycount of around 1500 or so, something PSP ready (along with a few 64's for the texture).

Trying something different from what I normally do for vehicle models: normally I would start out with either curves / nurbs and convert them to poly, or start out with a cube and cut / shape it as I want. For some reason I was having a difficult time cutting this thing to the shape I wanted (it's a friggin cube... but whatever), so I started making the model in chunks... it's working so far, and a neat new way to try out.

If this turns out nicely I may just release an SDK for it, if anyone's interested (would be kinda neat to have a showroom full of 'em).

wip1.jpg

Replies

• Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    god how I love that car... really want to get one...
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Honda Element?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Honda Ugly POS

(model can still be bitchin, I just don't like the car's design style)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, it's the Scion version of the Honda Element. The Element is a horribly ugly vehicle (apparently they didn't learn from GM's plastic/cladding mistake on the Aztec). The Scion version improves it, but still ugly IMO. Box with small wheels
  • MetalMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MetalMan polycounter lvl 18
    I'd love to have a try at texturing it! I'm practicing texturing, and trying to find all the SDKs I can. A showroom (or even better, a racing game!) full of customized scion bricks would be great!
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Come on, didn't you guys notice the "bubble" dome trend of the ninties? I got so tired of it so fast, and here comes something that proudly declares, "I AM A BOX! I GET YOU FROM POINT-A TO POINT-B!", how can you not breath a sigh of relief?!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Cars haven't looke ddecent since 1973. Notice how Porsche hasn't messed with their styling, other than minor details since. 1950 - 1973 the golden Age of cars.

Scott
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i couldn't agree w/you more scott. it's no wonder everybody is going back to the old styles. my dad has a boss 302 mustang...72 i think. and man, it's super sweet!!!!

can't wait for an update flaagan!!!
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Nice start!

You think the xB is boxy? You should see my 88' Volvo 740.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a minor update today, by time I'd sat down to work on it tonight my wrist had already been hurting like crazy for the previous few hours.

wip2.jpg

As for the car itself...
    My buddy just got himself a brand new one, and while I expected I'd be railin on him for it, I ended up suprising him (and myself) and complimenting him on it. Extremely comfortable ride and really spacious inside; I like the style, and the customizability culture is something I really dig. All this and some killer gas mileage for a great price... I plan on getting one should I land a full-time job.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    wow, I wouldnt think of you as the type of person who would consider buying a car that looked like that...

also, hurry up and finish the model!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    neat choice of car. I see them everyday, very popular over here
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    xB's are my favourite frown.gif
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    I own an xA, the xB dash turned me away. Both are terrible IMO. I regret buying mine. MPG is great, but the power seems to have decreased since I bought it, no idea why. The sound system in 2005 models was terrible. Great head unit, but the speakers are junk. The sub is'nt worth the extra money and you would be better buying after market. The scion alarm system did'nt use roaming codes, so the dealer had to put in an after market system. This system is temperature sensitive, and goes off every cold night...

Bah. I hope you have better luck with the 2006 models. You do know the xA/B/C is just a tercel frame and engine with a different body right?

Now you know why i'm always angry. I drive a mini pregnant rollerskate.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Eww...Tercel... How come the tC seems so unpopular, it's the only decent looking one :P
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'nother small update... need to stop workin on this when i'm already tired...
    wip3.jpg

Interesting range of commentary from everyone.

Hawken - any photos / websites of customized xB's over there?

Aesir - it's kinda funny, the vehicle just kinda met all my areas of interest in what I'm lookin for in a 'next car'. Don't worry, I won't be ditchin the vette (even if / when I get an xB)... still need something to tear up highway 9 and go crazy with on the weekend!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha, normally I'd say, just give you me your vette and you can have the xb, but since it cost me 3.70 a gallon for regular at the pump today... I'd have to change my mind.

I need a fuckin vespa.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They make hybrid vespas now... but hey, the vette's great for gas mileage.. I cruise to work at about 85-90 and get mid-to-high 20's for mpg... it only gets bad gas mileage when I'm stuck behind some slow-ass in a hybrid. tongue.gif
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    lol
    Flaag: That's a thing I also love about vettes, (and other decent sports cars for that matter), I remember cruising at 90 on I70 Through vail in a borrowed vette and still getting 25mpg.

The xB is looking good so far. Though I still think the design team for those vehicles had a deadline to meet, and no ideas, so they swiped a 5 year-old's crayon drawing of a "car".
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Keep it coming man, looking forward to the final result.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    side note: got to drive my buddy's xB this evening for a good ways around town... holy hell that thing scoots, and stops on a friggin dime... and I didn't know until he told me after driving it that the damn thing's a front wheel drive... impressive. (my previous experiences with front wheel drive have been the newer caddy's and taurus SHO's...)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The newer/newest(starting last few years) caddies are rear-wheel drive (except the DTS).
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Uhm... Most cars are front wheel drive now. And was the xB you drove 2006? Because the one I drove was more sluggish than the xA and stopping power was about average.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GM has been returning to the rear wheel drive cars on anything where they want to create 'excitement'. The CTS was the first Cadillac to get rear wheel, then the STS. The DTS was just redesigned and I'm surprised it didn't get the rear end treatment. Their XLR is rear wheel drive also, but it's shares the chassis with the Corvette. The GTO was also rear wheel drive.

Just some tid bits... not sure if your FWD statement was pointed towards me or flaagan. I assume me though wink.gif