Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Body model

Krisonrik
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Krisonrik polycounter lvl 17
Just think change the subject of my model might refresh my brain a little. I just made this model today. I feel something is off... but I can't quite figure out where. And one question for Daz. When make those models, do you model your cloth using cloth of Maya or you model them as seperate polygon object?
Body1.jpg

Replies

• retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    There's plenty of off parts, but it is really hard to give a good crit with this screen shot. You'd get more out of this post if you could post a full body shot, and a non-smoothed version, or a smooth version with wires, not the proxy cage.
    Right off the bat I would say the nipples shouldn't be dead center of the breasts. A generic way to go about it is to place them at a 45 degree angle from the center at the clavicle. Also the breasts don't sit *litterally* on top of the rib cage, they lay on it, don't know how to explain this better, but right now it looks like you have arms, then breasts, then a rib cage. This also gives her an unusually long torso. Pull the upper body down a bit, and make the breasts lay over the rib cage, and then apply gravity.
    You've got a lot of edges there for the rib cage, but they aren't defining anything at the moment, so you can get rid of them, or use them to better shape the ribs. The poly flow is another issue. It looks like you are trying to model based on the skeleton atm, but really what gives us deffinition is our muscles, they usually go at a slight downward angle around the rib cage. The pelvic bone doesn't form a v, it forms something more like a U in the front. If you are using reference, try to be as observant as possible. If you aren't using reference, maybe do a google search or 3d.sk. I'd post more, but I'd like to see more. Keep it up!

Edit: No typey with ciggy!
  • Krisonrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the update on the model. Well, I think I tried to changed all the problems that you have commented on. But I really am noob in this department. I guess will just need to waste more of everyone's time helping learn. ><;;
    Body2.jpg
    Body3.jpg
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    Don't ever say it's a waste of time learning. If noone learned anything on these forums, then there wouldn't be much of a point to having them. I'll try and do an over paint for you when I get the time, though my painting skills sux.
  • Krisonrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here some updates on my model.
    Body4.jpg
    Body5.jpg
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    collar bone needs come back and meet the top of the deltoid.
    The hips need some reworking and that crease in the abs should probably be more subtle. Just a few minor things that a good look at anatomy refs could fix.
  • Krisonrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone mind show me an example of good topology around hips and crotch? I have been twicking that part for a long time, still haven't get a good result.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Im not sure how good my girl is but it might help. This was my first girl model.
    http://www.matt-taylor.net/3d/girl/girl.html
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    here' how i did one of mine.

girl7uk.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    pretty bad form posting your work in someone elses thread, even for purposes of example. would have been nicer to do a drawover on his meshflow...
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    not really bad form at all if it helps the guy

maybe you should quit worrying about fckin "form" and post a crit if you're gonna bother saying anything

here's a site I recently was linked to... it's a big database of all knds of art ref... hopefully it helps.

http://qbranch.cottages.polycount.com/ref_links.shtml
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    the dude asked for an example of typology. a couple of us gave it to him cause he ASKED!!!
  • Krisonrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for everyone's help. It really helps. I was wondering, how come the lines looks so curvy and smooth in your model? Is it a Nurbs model instead of polygon?
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    He used a smooth algorithm. Meshsmooth what have you.
  • Krisonrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't smooth going to increate the poly count and subdivid the faces? But the lines on his models are all curvy... compare to smoothed model, the lines are still straight, just very short and form a big curve.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You're talking about the fact that the actual edges displayed on fritz's model are curves and not straight lines? Don't be too confused by it. Fritz's model is a subdivision model, just like yours is. Only Max and XSI have far better visual display cues when it comes to subdivision modeling than Maya. If you use true Subdivs in Maya as opposed to polysmooth you could achieve a similiar look, but that'll probably confuse you. Like I said, don't worry about it. It's just display.
  • Krisonrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes Sir! Lol was just wondering, I know it's a minor things.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    yes...just like daz said. i probably should have put that in there myself. feelin' loggie today...late night. here's the model w/o subD surface:
    girllow7gi.jpg

also, this tutorial i know has helped a lot of people get started...including me.
    http://www.secondreality.ch/

my advice is to not follow the tutorial vert for vert...that may drive you crazy. haha. but it is valuable for getting started. also, be very observant about various parts of the body. there are little things to look for in the human body. so look at tons of pictures on the internet(tasteful...haha.) and really train your eye to notice the little things....just like how you fixed the way the breasts lay on the ribcage. stuff like that is very important. and be patient...ask lots of questions....i sure do. haha.

hope this helps...my model is not perfect by any means...