Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Buncha Textures - Crits please?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
Hey, these are a bunch of textures done for my UV Mapping/texturing class. I'm not doing so great, I've got C's on everything so far, so I was hoping for some critiques. smile.gif

-

This was done for an in class test. We had 4 hours to texture a cottage. (I actually ran my time down to 3 cause I had to run home to get my Waccom pen. :P)
shot30hq.th.jpg
cottageuvs1np.th.jpg
grass1gf.th.jpg
-
For this one we just had to texture a concrete barrier. Were supposed to make a plain texture then sort of dirty it up a little bit. This is my dirty one.
barrier3ra.th.jpg
concretebarrieruvs3zf.th.jpg
-
We had to texture one part of a brewery room in this one. Either the wall, floor, or barrel. I decided to texture it all for practice. Also all of the textures were tiling.
brewery348fq.th.jpg
barreltopuvlayout3pd.th.jpg
barreluvlayoutcopy8qq.th.jpg
floortile2aw.th.jpg
wallrepeath6ei.th.jpg
-
That's it for now, there's two more, but I forgot them on the school server. Anyways, some critiques would be great. Of those the barrier is the only one which had been marked so far, and I had thought I did decently on it, but my mark proved otherwise so I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. (My teacher only said that I didn't define the edge going up to the slope enough. Which shouldn't account for that much of a dock in marks, there's gotta be other stuff).

Anyways, thanks for any comment or critiques you'll give. smile.gif

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    they look a bit "airbrushed and they lack "credibiliy" , the dirt is inexistent, thye seem a tad organic ...not enough sharpness.

ill write more but im slightly sleepy, forgive me.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I like the barrier best by far. I would paint slightly brighter highlights to pick out the edges on all of these, and more dirt, and on some of them dark single pixel shodows to pick out the shapes.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, alright, so I more or less have to try to up the contrast on the highlights and some of the shadows? And for the dirt, I had actually thought I was making them dirty (Well, the barrier and the cottage, the brewery room is another story), but it apparently didn't work out as planned, so how should I go about making it look more credible and less airbrushy?

And I realize that it's a lot to ask, but do you think you could do a quick paint over to show some of this stuff? Nothing major, just like take a bit of one of the textures to show how to make it better? I'm a pretty shitty painter, but I think that seeing some of the stuff I'm doing wrong would help.

Thanks a bunch! smile.gif
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I would agree they look way too air brushed. Try some sharpen, noise, or even some textures that you can use as diffrent blend modes ontop of what you already have.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Well, first of all we need to know if you're going for a cartoon look or a realistic look? If you're going for cartoon look, you're right on track to making some superb textures. They need some more loving, however: Add more contrast to the colours, right now theres a lack of saturation in the colours and its making everything looked washed out. Try using harder shadows to emphasise lighting.

If you're going for something more realistic, photosource. Don't be afraid to check on the internet for some material samples - like concrete - and source that right on to your concrete barrier. If you do this though, you cannot rely on the photo to do the model justice, you still have to go in and paint high and low lights, damage, burn marks, chips, etc.

Keep it at, you're off to a good start.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    I think I had similar problem with my textures for a while - they looked airbrushed, because I used airbrush a lot. I figured for inorganic textures the best way to go around is to use some texture brushes, like the ones Dave Nagel makes. I made my own set of texture brushes and you can check them out - I think with those you can get some believable results in matter of few strokes, because the brush tips are made of modified fractions of photographic textures and have other textures combined, and on top of that you should still have great control over the strokes, for instance you can always adjust the ammount of brightness/hue/saturation jitter to get a variety appropriate for the kind of texture you are working on.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff - Those sound like good idea's, I'll give em a shot. smile.gif

Adam - For the cottage and the brewery I was going for a bit cartoony, our teacher wanted them fully hand painted and as examples she showed WoW screenshots. So I pretty much figured that a bit cartoony was what she wanted. The barrier I tried to make a bit less cartoony. (It does have some photosourcing done on it). And that all makes sense, I might go in and try to rework them a bit doing what you said there.

Thank you very much. smile.gif Haha, good to hear that I'm not completely off track. smile.gif

Fogmann - Haha, they look airbrushed cause I used the airbrush a lot, I love it. smile.gif It does make perfect sense, and is so damn obvious I don't know what I didn't think "Hey! Why don't I try to use something OTHER than the airbrush to make it look less Airbrushy!". Ahh well, those brushes you posted look awesome, thank you very much, I'm deffinatly going to download them and test them out.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    You made me look for those David Nagel texture brushes I mentioned, and I realized there's whole bunch more than what I previously had, and some of them are just plain awesome for quick inorganic texture painting. Not all the brushes are good for texture work, but there's really wide variety of them that you can modify to your heart's content.
    And here's the link.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow, he's got a whole hell of a lot, thanks a bunch Fogmann. I'm gonna have to grab a bunch and start testing em out. laugh.gif

(I tested out some of yours by the way... they're awesome! I wish I'd have known how nice different brushes could be.)
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, did a new texture for the same class on a scroll and feather. Hopefully I can get a critique or two before I have class tonight. smile.gif

scroll2sg.jpg

Thanks. smile.gif
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    For one thing you could change the writing to look like something that someone would actually write insted of type. It really throws the whole piece off. smile.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, haha, good point, completely forgot about that.

Thanks man. smile.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this any better?

scroll22uy.jpg
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    Not what you did to the feather. It's too solid now. Know what kind of feather you're doing and get some good reference.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crap, leave it to me to screw up with only 5 minutes before class to fix it. frown.gif Thanks man, hopefully I can get make it a bit more feathery.

And yea, it was a bit of a rush job, I really didn't get a good enough reference. frown.gif I'll try to remember to on future projects.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i like the change to the feather blush.gif