Home Technical Talk

Does anyone use Z axis as 'up' in Maya?

PaK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
PaK polycounter lvl 18
Has anyone here had their axis constraints changed to refelct 3DMax where Z is up instead of Y?

If you have, have you noticed any problems/crashes with native or 3rd party tools?

If so; do let me know.

-R

Replies

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Yes, the entire world pipeline for ssx1 to ssx4 had to use Z up in Maya. Does not cause any problems I know of but it is a hassle trying to think in Z up and default planer mappings are reversed from what you are used to.
  • Vito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vito polycounter lvl 18
    These differences are interesting, and show you a little about the backgrounds of the developers. Maybe.

I'd wager that systems where Y is up and Z is depth come from an illustrative background: page layouts, 2D illustrations, where the screen itself is X and Y and adding a new dimension of depth adds Z.

I'd also wager that systems where Z is up and Y is depth come from a physical modeling background, foam models, architecture, etc. X and Y are 2D as you look from the top-down, as on a map. Adding height is what adds Z.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Vito I heard the same thing.

Autodesk's Autocad is a drafting too. They have top down orthographic view right? only need 2 axis X and Y.

-R