Home› General Discussion

Unreal 2007 Mods "Nuts"?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
I know this is a month old, but this is the first time I read it.

"We're going to go nuts with mods once 'Unreal Tournament [2007]' (another Unreal Engine 3 title) ships," he said. "The developer tools are much, much easier to use. In fact, now we have the potential to offer mods via the PS3."

Link

Interesting considering the debate on the future of custom game content.

Replies

• Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    What was the debate?

Scott
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Developing for U3, besides some bugs, has been a breeze. It's insanely easy to get your stuff into the game and have it looking GREAT.

EDIT:"While Epic will continue enhancing and improving Unreal Engine 3 for the next four or five years, work has already begun on Unreal Engine 4, which the company sees as a powering force for the fourth PlayStation and third Xbox machines."

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott:

There was some doubts in the Polycount web design thread about the continued vitality of custom game content. Specifically about whether the front page should continue putting PPMs front and center.

While PPMs may seem "old hat" to jaded PC gamers, I'm sure they will seem fresh and new to console gamers. Also, it seems to me that it would be harder to cheat if you were running the game on a game console.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, Well I would vociferously champion the cause of PPMs, as that is what sets this place apart from CGCHat, and Conceptart. The fact that visitors can download souvenirs of their visit. Also the ease of the UT format has produced more PPMs that Q3 has, and speaking as one with a little experience with Unreal 3, that is even easier still, though not quite as easy as, say Quake 2 was to make PPM's for. Note that I have both q2, and UT2K4 PPMs up. and expect to finish maybe 2 more before UT2K7 comes out.

Scott
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, so they perfected the "create super cool million poly model" button, did they?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh, so they perfected the "create super cool million poly model" button, did they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Did I miss something?

Ahh well, I can't wait for UT2k7 and the U3 engine. laugh.gif Sounds so freakin awesome.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I think dfacto's point is that while a highly modifiable game engine is swell, it takes more time and skill than ever before to create art assets that push those engines. Five years ago, you made a 1000-poly model with a texture map. Today, you make a 10,000 poly model with diffuse, specular and normal maps. Looking at the UT2007/UE3 demo footage, it seems that none but the very best amateurs will be able to produce professional results.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    " Looking at the UT2007/UE3 demo footage, it seems that none but the very best amateurs will be able to produce professional results. "

Over 5000 maps were made for UT99(nali city), don't know how many were made for UT2k3/4 but I have I feeling that it was a fraction of that. So, with all that work involved I don't see too much coming from the mod community for 2k7.

Could be wrong, hope so. Personally I'm looking forward to the new engine. Sure won't miss the last one.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they did, but for some reason, everything looks like a tea pot. normal mapped, high tech tea pots with glowy bits, but still tea pots.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Hey, don't put down on the mighty teapot!
    We like our teapots here.

r.
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think dfacto's point is that while a highly modifiable game engine is swell, it takes more time and skill than ever before to create art assets that push those engines. Five years ago, you made a 1000-poly model with a texture map. Today, you make a 10,000 poly model with diffuse, specular and normal maps. Looking at the UT2007/UE3 demo footage, it seems that none but the very best amateurs will be able to produce professional results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this is one thing the I disagree with. Yes next gen is coming and if you want to produce a fps that looks next get you have to suffer through the long hours of producing that art but who says you have to. Some of the most influencial games of the later 3 years have been games that use rather low poly counts and go more for playability, storyline, and style. For instance Psyconaughts, World of Warcraft, and Katamari Damacy. Each of these games have sold very well in an age of high poly counts and multiple texture maps.

Its actually a hope that more mods will start to take this same approach and stop trying to compete graphic wise with big name companies. If a mod team can use the limited polycount as World of Warcraft did with the new Unreal Engine3 then they can make huge games that do not hang on whether they are next gen looking.

Games should be purely about story, art style, and playability. Not this over grown obsession with realism because as we have seen when big companies do this, the games tend to be very boring because it seems that all they wasted time on were the graphics.

Just my two cents.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is ultimately no "create art" button, but that doesn't mean things can't be made easier. Here are a couple of ideas:

Isn't it about time that an online deathmatch game had a built in "create your player" option (like an MMORPG, or Oblivion)?

How about a lego-like player creation system that lets you snap custom segmented meshes to a skeleton. Then people could customize just a head, and not ever have to worry about animation, etc.

Maybe these wouldn't look as good as trained artist's models, but it would be nice if there was some kind of middle ground so that the learning curve wasn't so steep for people interested in customizing their game.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I think that's the path that they'll start to take Ninjas, I don't think it would be bad either. Because Most likely they'd have an option (or someone would make some plugins) to import in your own parts. WHich would be pretty fun actually. But I think more and more games (apart from sports titles) will start to put in character customization.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still of the opinion that too much character customization is not nessesarily good. A lot of people (most I think) really just want to play the game, not take an hour preparing to play the game. Some customization is good, too much, not so.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    Particularly if the end result of customization is bland and artless character content akin to the TES:Oblivion stuff. Choosing from a variety of skins and accessory items is one thing, but dynamic nostril size is a waste of time and in effect often the antithesis of consistant visual style.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this is one thing the I disagree with. Yes next gen is coming and if you want to produce a fps that looks next get you have to suffer through the long hours of producing that art but who says you have to. Some of the most influencial games of the later 3 years have been games that use rather low poly counts and go more for playability, storyline, and style. For instance Psyconaughts, World of Warcraft, and Katamari Damacy. Each of these games have sold very well in an age of high poly counts and multiple texture maps.

Its actually a hope that more mods will start to take this same approach and stop trying to compete graphic wise with big name companies. If a mod team can use the limited polycount as World of Warcraft did with the new Unreal Engine3 then they can make huge games that do not hang on whether they are next gen looking.

Games should be purely about story, art style, and playability. Not this over grown obsession with realism because as we have seen when big companies do this, the games tend to be very boring because it seems that all they wasted time on were the graphics.

Just my two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

My two cents would be that we probably shouldn't come at it with a perspective that "Games should be purely about..." anything. I've played great games with lousy art. I've played great games with no story. It's all relative to the goals of a given game design, yeah?

Anyway, my point wasn't anything about how game development in the future can or should go. To push the capabilities of new 3D game engines requires far more time and skill than it did five years ago, hence the "make art button" comment. I don't think anyone would argue that isn't so.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey, don't put down on the mighty teapot!
    We like our teapots here.

r.

[/ QUOTE ]

but where are the tea cups?! are we supposed to be barbarians and drink our tea from the spout?
  • KRakarth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KRakarth polycounter lvl 18
    Ive just seen the quality of work that epic is putting into gears and UT2007. The quality of the work is astounding - by their own reckoning it takes seveal weeks to do model a character from scratch - tharts several full time weeks by some of the best artists in the industry. The quality is AWSOME!!!!! Ive just started something to try and squeeze into the engine and I tell you, im scared as well as excited at the work that ive got to do.

It will be a very dedicated set of amateurs that pull off a good stuff for this engine.

it is brilliant. The tools are good to use too
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, you can try for the gold, but the thing is, with the right sort of shaders/art direction, you don't have to. U3 does a really nice cel shade. Or you can put together realy simple items. Psychonauts is a possible direction, but there are others as well. Imagine if Pior was able to put together a bunch of nicely stylized characters in a toon shade, with some decent animation? It could look great!

Scott
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Woooo can't wait to get a license then tongue.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing to bear in mind also is that you dont need to take as long as we do, you don't need to make characters as detailed as we do.

We are selling technology as well as games.

The way the new lighting engine works in UE3 ensures that you can make simplistic sections of environment or character assets and combine them ad hoc in game however you please and they look like a new custom made object.

By making proper use of this, people have the chance to makes things faster than they did before because it eliminates a lot of the need for custom assets being created for everything.

r.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully examples of that will be provided eventually, yes?

Scott
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to be making tutorials for UDN on how I build stuff from start to finish and make things modular.
    I don't anticipate doing more community stuff though.

Certainly not in the short term.

r.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UDN is fine, but, you are missed. :-)

Scott