Home General Discussion

Quake Wars Character Models

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
Some cool models... I think I like some of these better than many of the Q4 models.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=33650&mode=thread&order=0

Replies

• rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    hmmmm pepi? did you have anything to do with this? wink.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i always thought the human ones don't have any neck. does anybody else sees this?
    the art direction is boring i must say, if it's not id software it usually turns out more same ol' and less artistic. meh

they're all really well done though
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    That sure is miles away from what we saw in Quake 4. I'm digging the spec map usage in those renders.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    im happy they don't looks overly plastic as in previous screenshots. Hopefully, there will be a demo soon.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    very good models there, if a little boring and RTS
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    My main critique ... "Holy Dr. Who SFX, Batman.!"

Instead of a definite feeling of flesh and metal coarsely melded, the Strogg come off (to me) like actors in latex foam rubber monster suits.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    While everything is well done...
    I never liked any of the player models in Q4.
    Everything is so Counter-Strike.
    No hot females, no cyborgs. Just the same old Tom Clancy looking peice'o crap.
    For being a continuation of Q2 it is so NOT a continuation of Q2.
    And I'm still bored with the whole thing and I hate that frown.gif
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My main critique ... "Holy Dr. Who SFX, Batman.!"

Instead of a definite feeling of flesh and metal coarsely melded, the Strogg come off (to me) like actors in latex foam rubber monster suits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing....they just aren't grisly enough.

They are well done though, and it's nice to see a nextgen model not looking like somebody dropped a plastic filter over them.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    the base character for each race was recycled too much, more noticeable on the humans than the strogg, though
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Dukester ... I think the time period for the game is PRE-Quake 2, when the Strogg are launching their first attacks on Earth.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    I think these are great models. They actually feel like military, unlike the space marines of all the other Quake games.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I echo the "ho-hum" on the designs, I think even our near-future army uniforms look a bit cooler than some of the stuff in these screens. They are very well pulled off no doubt. I'm looking forward to the game!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I gotta say, I like what the Splash Damage team is doing with the franchise more than most of what Id has been doing the last few years.

Looking at the characters seperate from the environments in which they belong doesnt really tell the whole story but rather it highlights their strength over the previous Quake games because the characters don't stand up as well on their own.

My point is that the characters and the environments gel perfectly together into a consistent and cohesive overal design.

Previous quake games have always had these amazingly detailed hero characters that hold up very well on their own but dont blend well with the environment in which they belong.

Essentially, I'm saying that previous quake games have single hero assets that are very well done , but this new quake game has something most of the Quake games don't, a consistent and disciplined art direction which is a rarity in FPS games wink.gif

It comes down to what you like perhaps, but my opinion is that anyone can pull off a 'wow' impact hero character or environment asset, its far harder to maintain the discipline required to not try to hit a home run with each individual asset and instead aim to hit a home run with the set of assets as a whole.

Art direction, consisten and well disciplined art direction is what people who are not artists pick up on and feel immersed more by I think so I feel the lads at Splash damage are doing a great job and I'm looking forward to seeing their E3 stuff.

r.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hm i have to agree, that the humans are a bit too generic.. but i like the stroggs!
    And yes: the models need the environment but than they realy rock (my opinion bla bla)

however.. "stupid" posed models on a black bg are always looking a bit silly
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i gotta agree with ror here, alone these look kind of boring but if you've seen the screenshots it all fits together very well.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I couldn't agree more with the last few posts. There was never anything that infuriated me more than production coming along and going 'yeah we need some renders' and you rip these characters out of their intended world and present them in a way that just doesn't make sense. Just leave it at screenshots already. These are very well made.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Personally I think these look great. Only thing that bothers me a little are the strogg heads. The last two share the same head/texture...which is kinda lame.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Meh, i'd rather the humans be more discernable and unique honestly. Not every fookin soldier has the same body and face type. Where are the heavy set guys, the girls etc?

The strogg look better, but still just humans with wrinkly skin, like every other zombie/alien model out these days.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Well if it is the "Army" as it were, young soldiers do tend to look all alike, other than skin tone variations and hair color. They all tend to be fit, and within a narrow range of heights.

But we get to the Uniforms, they are so last year. The cammo is 3 color, without the digitalization. The distribution of their gear is odd, and the MOLLE style equipment looks base contemporary items. While I thought the usual "Space Marine " look was laughable, it's like now the designs look too much as Newsweek,and Time photos, rather than the DOD studies for ARMY2010 specs. ( full head helmets, weird molded boots, and the possibility of a hand nmounted weapon).

Still, the restraint is admirable and makes them look more like "people" than caricatures.

The Stroggs, look appropriately creepy, but I think they need to work on the testure maps just a little more to remove the foam latex problem. Still the use of spec maps is otherwise really good.

Scott
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen the concepts and replicas of the 2010 soldier getup at trade shows here at the Pentagon. It's not really impressive at all, and considering it's 2006, and they have nothing even close in production for the grunt now, i highly doubt they will meet thier 2010 transformation date.

The GRAW example is dead on to what they intend it to be. The more I look at quake wars the more I'm dissapointed. I'm expecting the next Battlezone 2 upgrade, and i'm getting team fortress in new clothes.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    I do like the strogg with the exposed brain and the vents/wings/antenna? coming off his back. I hope that's supposed to be a communications officer or something. I suppose near-future-human requirements might have stiffled the creativity on the humans a bit.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    The artists did a good job here. I like.