Home General Discussion

Ditch the applications?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
An interesting project towards using the web for (almost) all applications, and not installing anything:

http://itredux.com/blog/2006/01/25/rules-for-office-20/

Certainly at this stage it is not entirely feasible, but I've found myself following the route in some respects.

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer to have my computer be more than a dumb terminal and have it remain operational when the internet is down.
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah this has been 'the next thing' for quite some time already, and Google seems to be one of the pushing forces.

But to be honest: From a pure logical point of view it doesn't make sense at all, only from a disorted business (windows centric) point of view.
    You can have all the benefits of this system with a proper package manager like apt-get (from Debian/Linux) that automaticly keeps all your production software (and the entire OS) at a working and up to date state (and an added web-harddrive for failsave storage), without the disadvantages of the web only system, I think.
    But it is harder to make money with that smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Hell, in a company you could just have such a server locally, mount via NFS and you're good to go.