Home General Discussion

Fast Ambient Occlusion Generator

Black_Dog
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Black_Dog polycounter lvl 17
http://www.rusteddreams.net/faogen.html

I'm a long time lurker here, just thought I'd drop in and point out what might be a very useful app. Faogen is a free ambient occlusion baker that takes a uvmapped mesh in .obj or .lwo format and bakes results to a texture or vertex colours. Vertex colours are unfortunately output as the U channel of the texture coordinates making that feature less useful, but hopefully that will change.

The interface is straightforward and clean, the AO rendering is hardware accelerated and blazingly fast, and the app is free for trial. Check it out.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad. The result looks very impressive, but when you have to pay $50 for a single user license, I think I'll stick with xNormal, which is free and also has a powerful 3d viewer and normal-map renderer.
    The AO result may not be as good, but hey, it's free - and the programmer who's working on it is forever improving it... Check out the 2d/3d forum to find more info on xNormal.

Thanks for bringing this up though, I'm sure some people will find it very useful!
  • Black_Dog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Black_Dog polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, actually when I posted this I had dled and installed it without looking at the site in detail and was under the impression it was freeware. Stupid. confused.gif Instead of deleting the thread I just edited in "free for trial" and figured someone might find it useful for a few days.

xNormal, eh? I will look at that.