Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

little tutorial thingy

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
shotgun polycounter lvl 19
Did this for friends to show them how I (casually) go at skinning,
although this may change by tomorrow tongue.gif

Okay I hope some of you will find this interesting or enlightening hmm?
I feel there's tons of stuff I don't mention, if there are any questions - go for it.

the crap-
h_headfinal.jpg

tenticleskin.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff, personally I think its a touch outdated and over saturated but it gets the job done for a tutorial. You might want to bump up the size of ALL your images to match the last one. It makes it hard to tell what is changing when they are that small. You even touch on that "final touches..." Is there Even a differance?"

Recap, good stuff might want to turn down the shadows as the simulated lighting you are painting might not match most engines.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You could probably skip half of those steps - nothing changes really.

As for technique, it's pretty good, but the material definition is well off - the flesh looks more like some sort of metal.

I think if you just expanded the first 4 steps and maybe did some different heads to show different skintones and hair types, maybe other materials, that'd be more useful.

The effort is appreciated but I think you could refine this a LOT more, you and I both know you're capable of much better texture work.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Ya, I agree with Mop there. OMG I SIDE WITH MOP WHAT!

YUS
    still is an interesting piece.

b1ll
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol thanks guys

bear in mind this is more of a working technique for people who never approached low-res before, the subject matter and functional aspects of it as a "skin" aren't really adressed. I know it doesn't look like flesh.. it's just not really the point. I figuered i'd share it here for what it is don't kill me!

jesus!!!!

nah just kid wink.gif
    i'll tighten it up, anyways.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure your friends learned a lot from it smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i'm a little confused though--if you're teaching your friend the tricks of the trade, why approach it from an abstracted stance instead of a proper, low-poly skin...? surely, having a little low-poly head, unwrapping it, and then skinning it "for real" wouldn't have taken much longer but would be more illustrative?

though i guess it's a pretty helpful tutorial if your friend is looking to get a job doing textures in 1997. laugh.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol

haha ye I'm oldschool, what can I say tongue.gif

All the people whom I made this for don't use photoshop beyond single color dodge/overlay paint.
    This small demo focuses on the aspects I think they need to push since I know them personally and know their weak spots. More specifically - working the form and thinking rather than just planting highlights and checking to see if it looks cool. I tried to keep things fairly simple and obvious, just as an example in rendering "flat" form.

For this community it's probably redundant, but I wish people wouldn't dismiss it so much for not being what it's not supposed to be in the first place. You can't crit it for what it isn't, and if there's nothing for you to learn from this than that's cool also.

I would teach them 3d if I knew any and if they wanted to learn, but most just want to feel more comfortable when approaching low-res digital paint and in general.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for knocking this up buddy. I learned something, and that makes it a successful tutorial in my book. I think anytime someone puts together training material, unless it is completely worthless and wrong (which this is niether) it's good to encourage the person, because they made an effort, and you want them to keep making more.

Too many people withhold their knowledge because they either think they can't put together a good tutorial, don't know enough, or they are selfish. It's always nice to see someone make the effort, and for that I give you the Ol Jew Salute. 8-)

poop.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    words between each picture might be nice (you know... for your friends... ) smile.gif
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know why, but it makes me think of Turrican. Thanks!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir: everything I wrote, albiet bried. was for this community, I can speak to my friends verbally.
    It didn't seem that anyone cared for what the text was actually saying though so I removed it on the updated version to save some file size.

I'll put it back later.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    I think the information given in this tutorial leaves enough space, esspecially for a skilled artist that is just touching this materia, to take the whole process onto a much more individual path.

It is not fair to discredit effort made because of a missunderstanding.

For myself, I learned from it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're such a pixel whore!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message