Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

fariz

yeluis
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
yeluis polycounter lvl 17
heres a lighthouse im trying to do somewhat quickly to imporve my speed and get used to maya again as well as exploring mayas new features. Im aimimng at medium sized mesh, not low poly but not overly detailed.

wip1.jpg
wip2.jpg

Replies

• Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Looks as if there are some texture stretching problems at the upper part of the lighthouse. Also, the bricks looks sideways on the bottom part, so I assume it is just for visualisation, not a proper unwrap. The mesh is looking quite clean, how many polys atm?
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i barely started the texture and only unwaped the walls on the little house, everything else isnt unwraped yet. btw anyone kno why im getting the blur on the render? tri count is around 1600, some stuff needs to be added though
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Blur: I would first suspect the texture filtering settings.
    Nice lighthouse though, the bricks on the house part look quite believeable.

What new features are you checking out in particular?
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    pretty nice start there.

I would go in and make the rails and the other detail on the actual lighthouse a bit thinner/smaller.

Right now it feels a bit massive imo, takes away some of scale of the object.

othrwise keep up the good job! and oh, is the tiles flipped 90 degrees on the bottom part of the tower?
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailas: thanks ill check the material settings. i am trying the loop and ring tools, some of the features liek camera map in uv editor among other stuff. nothing too advanced i guess.

moitves: i agree the rails are a it too thick. and not a lot is uv maped yet so there are uvs flpped and stetched all over the palce
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    What renderer are you using, maya software or mentalray? In mentalray try production quality filter width 2 and make sure to turn your texture node to mip map instead of quadratic. You can turn the filter width down to get a sharper render and also turn down the max sample levels.
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i got it fixed it was the render quality on the renderer.