Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Swordswoman

KDR_11k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
swoman_pimp.jpg

Since so many people complained about me pimping anime stuff all the time this one is a bit more realistic.

She's aimed at Quake 4 and this time I even managed to hit the proper polycount.

The UVs are nowhere near final. I just wanted to see how the normalmap would come out. Still has a few flaws but nothing a little tweaking can't fix. Her ponytail will use alpha. She'll have a few strands of hair going over her face, I've already planned what trickery to use for that (I'll paint the strands on the face and blend the face normalmap with a hair normalmap accordingly).

Hm, now I notice that her shoulders need more polies for deformation. But it's late already so I'll hit the sack for now and see about that tomorrow.

Hands and feet are recycled (except for the feet on the lowpoly model). Ears will get an overlay that adds the proper ear structure.

The concept was the generic swordswoman that pops up in various animes (Motoko from Love Hina, Tsubaki from Kage Kara Mamoru, etc), perhaps influenced a bit by the suits the soul reapers wear in Bleach. The hair is kept short because long hair is just annoying when you're using default anims.

Replies

• Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    Well... it's not bad for 1300 polies... But most game characters should have about 3k. Continue the great work...

Etienne
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know about that, the tactical transfers in Q4 are less than 1200 and the default marine is 1892.

Great show, KDR. Maybe emphasize the front of the cheekbones, thicken the back of the hand just before the wrist. Maybe widen the nose. She actually looks like someone I know, so props on the life-likeness.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    The legs are really odd, it reminds me of a kangaroo. I legs are just too straight and with the huge ogre feet it just looks animal-ish. Nice work though. It isn't anime but its still japanese/chinese/whatever - why not do a western person?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    whats going on in the crotch area??

Take a look at Hakama (pleated samurai slacks):

hakama-m02-7805.jpg
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    You are cheating smile.gif

Last time the knees and elbows sucked, so this time you modeled something that doesn't really have knees and elbows tongue.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne: As Zergxes said, the polygon numbers in Quake 4 are much lower than what you are used to seeing in UT2004.

thnom: Not much I can do with that, I made the feet smaller but the legs have to look like that.

hawken: You did mean I should prevent the top part from overlapping the pants, right?

JK: Of course. I'm always cheating. Just now I found out that you can input up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A into Blender to reveal the secret Make Art button.
    Actually I didn't think about that at all when deciding on what to model...

The updates are minor at best, I've added colors as well. Trimmed the top part a bit, added the collar of the undercloth, did some poking on the cheeks, smaller feet, sharper definition on the pants. I wouldn't even post it if I wasn't going away for a few days.
    render15.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    It's a minor detail but the were no left handed swordsmen or women.

If you were a lefty, they would tie your hand to the side of your body when you were a kid, until you became a righty.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cloth folds need a lot more lovin
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    head looks too tall, perhaps bring the hair down or round out the front top of her head...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh, after taking a few days off the face looks all wrong to me... Let's see.

EQ: I know. I just don't know how to handle cloth folds. All tutorials I've ever seen on the subject just say "add cloth folds".

Jerome: Hm, I think the eyebrows are way too far up.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR: just find reference of cloth folds and study. Pay attention to the way they flow, and why they flow that way.