Home Technical Talk

Quick Maya batch render question

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
The answer may be staring me in the face (it usually is) but is there a way to set up a batch render in Maya so that it does a "show batch render" after each frame. I know this'd slow things down a tad but it'll use less time than rendering out the entire animation and finding I've forgotten some tiny little aspect.

I can't see any reference in the help and Highend3d doesn't appear to have what I want.

Any clues?

Replies

• Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    A tad confused by what you mean by 'show batch render' sorry? You mean actually render to the render buffer so that you can view each frame?
    I'm not understanding why you wouldn't just kick off mayabatch , then check the frames in fcheck or something else as they're spat out? Also, closing maya after kicking off mayabatch will free up some memory and speed up a render. Just a tip.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Believe me, we're even more confused. We've got a super tight deadline to make a movie and none of us really know how to use any of these higher end Maya features.

What I'd like to do is view each frame after its rendered. I could open FCheck each time a frame is rendered but it'd be nicer if they were shown automatically.

I didn't realise Mayabatch was a different program to Maya proper. I'm going to have to do a little more research I guess. Any more tips you've got that'd make this process go more smoothly would be appreciated.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, mayabatch is for batch rendering. You can kick it off from within maya, or use a command line, but that's getting a bit more harcore. Either way, you dont need maya running once its going. But you may aswell leave it running. Im probably just confusing matters.

I actually dont know how you can use the renderbuffer for an animation. Im not sure you even can. I dont think you have much choice but to start a render, and then take a look at the frames in the directory they're being spat out to. But my point is, that's not any different from looking at a frame using the render buffer really. Know what I mean?