Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Matt's Portfolio Site!! [C/C Please]

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Empty polycounter lvl 18
www.matt-taylor.net

I think all the links work. The images on each models page arnt sized correctly with this build of the site. I'll get on that tomorrow. Im gonna get some more media up there and add the animation page tomorrow as well, but I just wanted to get your opinion on the design so far. Give it hell Everybody:)

Thanks Poop for all the advice.

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I gave you my comments on MSN, but good job pushing this out. R.I.C. represent!

poop.gif
  • Straws
    Offline / Send Message
    Straws polycounter lvl 18
    What's R.I.C. mean?
  • jimiyo
    Offline / Send Message
    jimiyo polycounter lvl 17
    although arts important... your resume has negative tones in it... 'was contracted...never existed' 'short lived'

youre discounting your experience.

have the resume available without download... in html possibly.

nice knight warrior.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    What's R.I.C. mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Duhhh, Richmond?

poop.gif
  • Empty
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Jim - I'll look over the resume and try to come up with a better way to phrase that. Its just that the creative director of Realms of Valhallon falsified some companies. We had to take up legal counsel to protect our work. Just pretty big mess. PC gamer UK is actually writing an arcticle about it and where the team has gone from the incident to Atharon. ( www.atharonmod.com )

Im not sure how I should cite that whole thing.

804 Represent ;P
  • noritsune
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    hey matt,

the soliders on the site look great! very cool and realistic, love that chainmail texture. couple suggestions -

- with the main soldier, the textured one, I'd put the tasty textured render up front. Right now the first thing the viewer sees is the untextured view, which although useful, isn't the most spectacular of everything you have to show.

- I wouldnt bother showing the normal and spec maps at the bottom of the page. They look a bit "generated" right now... to me normal and spec maps are never worth showing. The normal map should be shown through a high-poly detail model, and the spec map should speak for itself in lit renders.

- last, the shots of the unhelmeted soldier include one showing the body wires - but the colors are so dark it's too hard to see what's going on. Also with that many polygons in the body, he needs some upper eyelids. maybe they're there already, but they could be a bit more pronounced.

hope that helps - cool stuff though! your little 2D character concept is awesome too, should have some more stuff like that in there!
  • fogmann
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Hello from the neighborhood! So you're majoring Kinetic, eh? smile.gif I graduated from Kinetic two years ago, and I hope it doesn't distract you much from realtime CG as it happened to me confused.gif
    As for your website, I agree what noritsune said about displaying your work. In addition, I believe it would be better if you don't have the 3D gallery page open in new window, but just have it in the main, and stick a button to go back to main page on top and bottom. Also, your fantasy knight model and Rhinish Army don't have page title, you might want to add that. And I'd recommend changing the triangle back and forward arrows to something more interesting and in tune with your main page design, which is nice and could be expanded to the rest of the site.

Resume could benefit from some formatting and having a serif font (easier to read), make the layout more interesting, perhaps with tables and some lines. Right now it looks like it's been just typed out without much consideration how it is presented. Agreed on having a html version of resume as well and then PDF or Word as downloadable for printing.

Hope this helped a little. Good work!
  • Empty
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Okie dokie. Made a few of those corrections already I'll get to the rest of them later. Need to do some work smile.gif

-Norit- Thanks, (3d.sk ftw) Your definately right about the normal and spec maps. I actually need to find someone help me generate the normal map for the girl. My main computer is down for the time being so I dont have any way to adjust the cage on my backup. If anyones willing to help me out with that really quick i'd be grateful. I also brightened up the Knights screenshots. My monitor has always been a bit bright so lemme know if where its at now is alright.

-Fog- Sweet another 804'er. Kinetic Imagery has been kind of trying to push us into video more and more. Which does get anoying when I want to work in 3d, but I'd like to think its making me a more well rounded artist. Im trying to take more illustration courses. Personally I like how it opens in a new window, but not the way I have it now. My experience with this sort of thing is fairly limited though. Im definately going to fix that bio page too. I was actually just thinking about having a link to the resume show up on every page where my contact information is.

Thanks for the help so far guys, I'll keep updating the site as quickly as I can.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Matt, sorry it took me a while. I'm gonna intentionally not read the other comments so as to be as impartial as possible! Good stuff! Some crits:

Imperial Heavy model:
    hands feel small and feminine, texture looks decent (although a little too obviously photosourced for my tastes), although I think it could have been more efficient in its UV's. Not enough differences in the 2 hands there to warrant having unique UV space. Try mapping the eyeball seperately sometime to achieve a sharper eye.

Female model:
    Shoulders feel a tad bulky and wide, connection of shoulder to tricep at the back of the model seems too pronounced, cheekbone seems to have a kind of a dent in it.

Fantasy Knight:
    Probably your best work up there. He's looking good. Take a look at the back of the arm/armpit where the shoulder meets the tricep. Feels wrong. Overall the torso feels long and the crotch a little low.

Good work overall mate. I see big, constant improvements in your stuff, and that's what it's all about!