Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Baroque room

noritsune
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
noritsune polycounter lvl 17
hey there

here's a few shots of my finished baroque room... also two screen caps from maya showing the scene without lighting, here and here. Also, a third screen capture showing the wires.

rococo_room_01_01_th.jpg
rococo_room_01_02_th.jpg
rococo_room_01_03_th.jpg

comments and suggestions are all welcome. enjoy! smile.gif

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    wow, very nice!
  • egoncalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    egoncalo polycounter lvl 17
    It looks great, you must have put alot of time into that, and it shows! The lightning is awesome as well! Nice work!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    For as low count as it is, that's really nice. I see some funky mesh flow in places, but overall it looks good. As far as your lighting goes - is that a lightmap? If so, you might want to toss some slight blur on it. Light is never that crisp, even coming through the cleanest window.

I just spotted some UV issues on some of those wall sconce-like things, on the sides of the clock. On the edge of the alpha, it looks like it's mapped too far, and it's pulling 1-2 pixels from the opposite side of the texture.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    very nice!

would you mind rendering a quicktime walkthrough of the room? Doesn't have to be very long or comprehensive... just curious how it looks when you're moving around it with all the lighting and alpha maps

once again, great work
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice indeed. This might seem like a strange crit, but I worry that you are using rendering and lighting techniques that are far more sophisticated than would normally apply. i.e the environment is clearly made for realtime use, yet you seem to be rendering it with FG and HDR and other bells and whistles that don't seem to be appropriate for how the environment would normally be viewed. Am I making any sense, or smoking crack? Also, in line with what Vassago said, in the top pic, I think the light coming in through the window on the ground (not the reflection, but the projected light) is way too opaque.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys,

thanks for the feedback! much appreciated.

as far as the lighting, I totally hear vassago and daz that rendering a still or three out of mental ray with FG and all the rest might be cheating a bit. smile.gif However, I don't think lightmaps of this quality are very far away for realtime... I know the recently released Crysis trailer showed lighting of this quality, realtime. if that was ACTUAL realtime or """realtime""" remains to be seen, I guess.

vassago, sharp eyes spotting the alpha artifacts on those frames. I'm getting out my photoshop brush now... also would you mind specifying where the mesh flow is funky, or looked funky?

thanks guys.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Makes me want to play a Louise XVI court intrigue game.

Looks really awesome!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Daz you are smoking crack, we used final gather on ssx3 and 4, for the ps2.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looks really nice. The attention to detail is great! Is this a portfolio project? or just for fun smile.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looks really nice. The odd thing to me is how the lighting is higher end but some of the geometry (chairs) are rather low poly. If you're going for higher end lighting, then use some higher res geometry. You should look into using Mental Ray to do some light maps. It has really good quality as malcolm is saying.
  • Manic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manic polycounter lvl 18
    shit the bed! that's good!
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys,

thanks again for the positive feedback.

Ninjas: me too, especially if my player character gets a pompadour

Malcom: that's what I'm talkin about (a la Kip)

Lee3dee: Kinda both.

jeffro: I definitely agree with you that I should make some lightmaps with Mental Ray. Don't have any experience doing that though - any good tutorials you could point me towards? As for the geometry/lighting relationship, I made the geometry with an eye toward realtime environment, so that's why it's low-poly. And like a couple of theother guys have said, I dont think that high-end lighting features like this are out of the reach of realtime environments anymore. So it seems like the one doesnt have to exclude the other. yeah?
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol jeffro, was just poking around on your site and saw your mr lightmaps tutorial. nevermind about my question then. smile.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The thing is that if you're aiming towards a game that would use that type of lighting you would still shape the silhouette of objects out a bit more. Basically, it's next gen-ish lighting and PS2 geometry. You can use MR lightmaps and such on current gen, but it's still not gonna look like that.

If you're using Maya this should work: http://jeffparrott.com/mentalray_01.html
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    is it just me or is this scene begging for some subtle shadows baked into the ornamentation on the walls ?

other than that i think it looks very sharp
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    I like the seen overall real nice piece. the thing that pops to me i sthe floor, I cant really make out whats going on. and maybe the saturation of the red int he table since i dont see that same material anywhere else. just small things though, and i agree with Fuse seems liek some shadows in the ornaments and stuff would give it more depths. Also those sahdows from the walls are way to crisp. THUMBS UP DUDE!!
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys,

well the textures could all really use normal maps, especially those heavily molded trims. there's a lot of implied geometry there which isn't making it to the render... I think that would provide the extra shadow detail that Fuse was missing. just haven't gotten around to generating them yet.

yeluis the reddish wood table was supposed to complete the yellow/blue/red color palette with the rest of the room. I'll look at it some more and if it seems too isolated, I might end up making the urns around the room a red base instead of black.

and jeffro you're probably right about throwing a few more polys into the props. The whole room is only 15K so far, so there's no reason to be stingy right. thanks for your link.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have a specular map on this?

- Looks pretty darn good.