7. Credits: me and 3D progs
8. Download:

Cheers + SkinCity dl link: Vaness

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ahhhh too much shaders !! still looks good, you covered in my opinion too much area with the shaders , but blarp...
  • Manic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manic polycounter lvl 18
    the skin looks a bit garish... and 512 just for the visor seems a bit excessive, you could have used a 64* and got similar results
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oliver polycounter lvl 17
    It could be cool if u could post ur general feeling about the character but not only comments about the technical part.

.Johny: u talked about the shader, but the shader is not the problem u know. Perhaps u think there is too much specular on her body texture but its not up to the shader but to the specular map and the specular mask i used. U can create a shader without specular if u want ... anyway i love specular but its just imo.

Manic: i agree for the texture size and garish: its what i wanted.

Any comments welcome smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, god, no. Not another u-guy! Rockstar and Bill are enough for one forum.
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi KDR smile.gif what do u mean by u-guy, i dont understand ?

For informations, i've a look at these forums since a long time (1st in 2003 if i remember good), i've created an account since 10/2005 and posted 8 messages. Dont worry, i dont like to post a lot, i just have a look often and i often keep comments for me (bad or good, intelligent or stupid). And i am working professionnaly in the 3D industry (not the game industry) since 3 years now in France. Sometimes also, its hard for me to explain things in english since i am french. To finish, i am not a kevin, i am 31 old and i am married...

PS: PM discussion with KDR,i accepted his apologies, he's a real man, 10x...:)
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10x for ur comments all...

New dl link at SkinCity, see 1st post

Cheers +
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    what do u mean by u-guy

[/ QUOTE ]
    hahah smile.gif
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    what do u mean by u-guy

[/ QUOTE ]
    hahah smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

10x for this constructive comment, muchly appreciated since i had an explanation with KDR...strange to see how some accomodate some others on these boards. (i hope "accomodate" is the good word, i am not sure).
    I am not going to use "you" instead of "u" cos some dont like this. Its very practical for me and shorter and i think everybody can understand. If i begin to speak french, i am sure not a lot of people here will understand my words. So, stay polite and never forget, ...never forget , theres a man behind every computer here in these forums.

Regards
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaja, nur kann ja nicht jeder hier seine eigene Sprache erfinden, ne?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I couldn't care less how you type, it was just a funny sentence.. I wasn't giving you an insult. For constructive criticism, I like the shape of your model, but I agree with others that theres a bit much of the swooshy effect. Some more material definition would be cool
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanx for ur comment rooster smile.gif

Et oui effectivement, beaucoup de gens parlent des langues diff
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ys, i mn, u cn rd diz, rite? its sooooo cnvnient 2 wrt lk diz. tks 4evr 2 rd bt dats nt my prblm, rite? ys, btchrng te nglsh lngage iz fun.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    honestly, I think the way you "pimped" your model doesn't make people want to post, maybe have a little look, but no more.(lits like thing, etc)
    now if you don't make the effort to write correctly, why should people make the effort to read you and write a correct post for you ? this is a two-ways effort.

then on the critics side :

proportions are off, even if stylized, some stuff looks wrong.
    The texture needs more work, looks like a base color with some fancy gold shader, make it look detailed and noble, even more as your design seems to be inspired from roman/greek civilizations (check the work some people did on imperator for instance)
    don't stop where you think your skills may stop, because they don't, if you push them, you will be able to see that you can do way better, look at some tuts, like on poopster's site (poopinmymouth.com), etc.

you have a nice base idea man, you need to work it better to make it more appealing.

keep up the good work man, cool to see more ppms around smile.gif

KDR : mate, sometimes, you frighten me, one second, I though Earthquake posted this with your username...
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    garish is what you wanted? "Nah man, I wanted the model to look bad, it's part of the design. I designed the model to look bad." (I love it when people respond to crits that way)

here's my honest crit:

The design is very generic and uninspired. A skinny chick with big armor boots and a form-fitting outfit... I don't think there's any design that's been done to death so much.

The texture is lacking in several areas:
    - there's almost no detail painted in. You've outlined some basic shapes and filled them in with bland shaders and left it at that.
    - there doesnt seem to be any functional design. How does her helmet stay on? How does she move in the armor? It looks like a bunch of big angular hard edges that would be really uncomfortable to even stand still in, much less fight in.
    - I agree that you don't need a 512 just for the visor
    - the artistic design of the armor is very basic. It's just a bunch of simple shapes stuck together.

The face could use some work, the main thing that I see wrong with it is the chin. It's way too sharp. Otherwise it looks decent.

Mostly it looks like you just need more practice. Keep making models and you will get better. I'd recommend studying the classic player models (quake 3, ut2k4) and see how the artists unified the design of armor with the character's peronsality and attitude.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wtf vahl, you dirty frenchman. HOW DARE YOU INSULT ME IN PUBLIC!
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    what the hell does 10x means? ten times? I dont get it..
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    it means that you have to say "banana hamoc" 10 times faster ! i think ...
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    He is no Kevin. 10x.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Haha well call me dumb but I really didn't get it either at first. I bet it stands for 'thanks' ? Like, 'ten-X'? Seems like I'm having difficulties understanding French these days laugh.gif

But anyway.

Olivier, I belive you can't really avoid technical crits on such a model simply because the subject matter you choosed is so clich
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg: i agree for the texture.

Pior: i've baked a lighting map on her. For the specular mask on her armor, its just a grey 127 on all the surface armor, its wanted, perhaps it was not a good idea. I could have use more variations for this.

EarthQuake: what the hell does "wtf" means?

PS: 10x=thanx

THANX for some good comments, muchly appreciated...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, but a lightbake will only give you lighting that is derived from the lowpoly information. What I was talking about is faking even more shape information by actually painting it on, faking light flowing on them.

Ex: left is the lightbake I used as a base, right is the detailling built on top of it.

bake.jpg

Hope this helps.
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes Pior, i've understood what you meant. On the vaness face, i've painted some extra shadows,not as much as your example for sure but i did it a little smile.gif (nose, neck, cheeks: with the dodge and burn tool. Le tout plus du maquillage violet sur les joues aussi).
    On the other hand, it's only a character for UT2004. What i mean is there's no "normal map" yet. I had a look at your "head bunny texture" and it wasnt as much detailed too.

Anyway, thanx for your advices..i've already visited your website for yours tips (i've even let a comment a few months ago:-->10th of november 2005:raz).
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    mhhh false...pior's bunny has a lot of skin detail on the fleshy areas, don't want to enter in a flame thing or anything but pior's comment is really to take in account, have a look at the original ut2004 faces, they are really well shaded and all.
    and there's something I think you got wrong, if you're doing normal mapped characters, you don't need those shadows and highlights ( although it can help), this is a really different process.
    as I told you in PM, maybe posting the face texture could make it easier for people to show you how to improve your texturing...
    also look at some quake 3 character skins, the rendering engine is way less elaboraded ( although still very good) and you really have to paint shading and all on your textures ( i.e: the gladiator thread)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i've painted some extra shadows... with the dodge and burn tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd advise against using Dodge and Burn for skin and flesh tones. These tools just don't create very natural shades, for human flesh - it'd probably be better to use the paintbrush and pick colours to paint with - that way you have total control over your values and colours. Dodge and Burn tools are fairly inaccurate when it comes to that (however they are useful for doing metal highlights and shadows).

The model looks pretty good but I agree with Pior and Vahl - there needs to be something which is more interesting than just a "girl in a space suit"... and Vahl is right, to get more detailed crits, you could post a wireframe screenshot, and some flat textures so we can see the artwork better smile.gif

Keep it up!
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx Mop for your comments

Ok, here is the body:
    Body

And here the head:
    Head

Wireframe (quickrender): 3166 tris
    Wireframe

Dont forget, it's for UT2004 so no normal mapping yet...max 3000-4000 tris for a character.

Regards+

PS: i changed "cheers+" by "regards+"
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's an awful lot of sides on that thing on the front of her boots. Those could have given the arms some muscle definition.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    10xcheers+Kevin = Oliver.
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR: yes this small thing has too much tris i guess.Sometimes, it's hard to find the right balance between the different parts.Next time i'll experiment the muscle definition as u say, i've already made some test but didnt put the time here to do it.

Matabus: please to meet u. Didnt know "cheers" was not a good word too. I dont even exactly know what it means exactly and i thought it was a good way to talk, perhaps "Regards" is best, please tell me. Anyway i wont forget your comment. I had a look at your folio, some good and bad things in it. Keep it up man smile.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Oli ,

I'm not Pro as Mop, Vahl and Pior but here's my opinion -

body skin - the gold color doesn't work for me. There's something strange.
    The rest needs more "relief".

head skin - needs more details and deeper colors.

wireframes -
    on the body - wireframes are little bit basic ( You could work more her arms , torso ... and hand's proportions - size.

on the head - I don't see clean , but seems to me a little bit mess - disordre.

Follow the advices of big brothers - polycounters Mop, Vahl and Pior - and Your next character will be better ; I'm sure. wink.gif
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    there's a group of 4 tris on each of her thigh that can be replaced by a quad. (Two tris)

Seriously? 10x = thanks? I guess maybe if i apply english phonetics to it. still sound more like "tanks" to me tho.. It annoys me to have to ask about things like that before i can understand a sentence. I guess thats the price to pay for hanging in an english-speaking forum with lazy users, without english being your first language. :P

(i still remember the ridicule i went through the first time i asked what "u" meant..:))
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    one thing I'd suggest for your texture work is to rely less heavily (or less obviously) on stock Photoshop Layer Effects - those being Outer Glow, Drop Shadow, Bevel & Emboss, etc. Or, if you're not using PS, the equivalent. I did a quick paintover and pointed out the areas where they strike me most obviously.... here.

the monotony of the outline, drop shadow, and glows make the texture look "generated", and prevent each pixel from working to its best effect.

dont get me wrong - I use Layer Effects all the time. But usually I split them up afterwards into individual layers and go back and mask out or interrupt the highlight/shadow/outline in a way that seems natural to the situation.

just my two cents.
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx for crits all smile.gif