Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Poopgun

LordScottish
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
My first try on a non realistic gun. I wanted to try it for the past months and then Poopinmymouth came up with a gundesign for his general here .

He was kind enough to send me the model so I could give it a try. The last parts were kind of a rush job, but I'm running out of time.

THANKS for the model BEN! smile.gif

600 polys and a 512x512+ 256x256 map
poopgun2.jpg
poopgun3.jpg
poopgun1.jpg

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    if it could shoot real poop ( like brown shit all around the barrel and a poop o metter ) i would be awed !

looking nice, could you some more detailing, but :P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice lighting and texture work (as usual), but I think the lack of detail is really bringing the quality down - some pieces just look like giant solid lumps of metal with no design or function... the handle looks like it could use some textured grip or non-metal surface.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Johny and Mop
    I think you pointed the main issue out Mop. The gunmesh itsself reminded me of a eighties sci-fi prop and I was trying to create a realistic and function oriented texture for it, which doesn't suit the model that well. This is why I didn't add any pretty detail without purpose. I think a star trekish, more clean look with some futuristic details would propably be the better choice for this model.
    I'm going to add a better grip and a safety switch as additional details this weekend to see what it adds the the overall impression. Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm thinking about adding a clip below the green grip to move it a bit towards the warhammer 40k style. Similar to a tek 9 mp.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think adding a clip is necessary, but I think you're right about the grip and safety switch, that should add a lot to improve it - maybe even just some more bevelled lines on the flat metal surfaces just to break them up would help, to make it look like it's been assembled out of some slightly smaller, less blocky parts?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    well think of why you are making such things, the gun does not look like a slide action gun, but you have the verticle grip bars textured near the front so it can be gripped to slide the slide back to cock it,, but sliding the barrel from the front really seems weird, ,,

think of (if its a standard amo gun, with a cool style) where the shells go in at, how the gun cocks, where teh shell cassing is expelled from. stuff like that.

crazy sci fi lazer/plasma guns are not that importand, just make up a function of how it works, and go with that,

i think a cool design for this gun, would be have the back brace (big chunky angled piece on the back, be the cocking mech, dtexture a swivel bolf on the bottom of it near where it connects teh triggure guard, this is grasped at the back of it, and pushed foreward, where it swivels up and over the barrel of the gun, which in turn, slides back the barrel slide (wher eyou have the verticle grips textured) backwards, cocking the gun.. not sure if thats clear, but seems like it would work
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    I really like this one, great job!
  • Manic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manic polycounter lvl 18
    it might be the time of day, giving me loads of glare on my screen, but it seems really dark, i can't see much on it
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rhinokey : I kind of tried to do that, that's why I added a shell ejector and a slide + grip on it. But I agree that the front part as a slide is a weird conecept smile.gif I didn't totaly understand your suggestion

@Manic: It's possible that it's darker than my other textures. I just got a TFT screen and it's so much brighter and has a way better contrast than my old CRT. Was anybody else not able to see the texture properly?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I can see the texture just fine. I do have some crits though. I think it's just a bit too monotonous and flat. The quality of the texture is outstanding, but it's just too drab I think.
    Granted, it's a gun, but for something with this style, I think it could use a bit of color.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Vassago smile.gif I agree with you, I tried to make some changes according to what you guys mentioned. Here what I have at the moment. I think the detail I copied from handguns (mainly the microuzi)make the whole thing look less clumsy which was one of my mainconcerns. I'm ot sure about the color. More color could be interesting, but I still want to keep it on the realistic side.

gun4.jpg

guntex2.jpg
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    Reminds me a great deal of the pistol from Quake 4, the color scheme is almost spot on. That said, I loved the color scheme in Quake 4 for the Marine guns, so good job!
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice. I think it could use a touch more fine details and a bit more sharpening up of the detail there to really make it pop, but it really does look damn nice the way it is.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    There is a VERY obvious texture seam visiable on one side, and it is because of the unwrap. Its just annoying the pants off me. A quick paintover.
    gun4_paintover.JPG