Home General Discussion

Buying behind the curve...64-bit AMD or dual Intel

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
I'm throwing together a temporary workstation for around $800, but I'm stumped as to which processor to get: Athlon 64 3000+ or a Intel 805 (2.66Ghz) Dual Core LGA775.

Obviously it's a setup for game art. Just got tired of making do with a PIII. I'll be using Maya 4.5 and Photoshop 7 mostly.

Alos, are there any sites that compare benchmark results of any two CPU's?

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    i have a 64bit dual core amd athlon x2, i say go with intel. this thing is cool, it works well for everything i need, but it is not very stable for some reason, the factory default voltage settings are off so i had to bump up the voltage on the cpu manually to make it more stable, otherwise i get random reboots every once in awhile when the cpu gets undervolted, kind of annoying, i always had intel before this and it worked really well, all my pcs until this one were super stable, my laptop has a p4 in it and its solid as a rock.

for benchmarks try http://www.tomshardware.com
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Alos, are there any sites that compare benchmark results of any two CPU's?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

Select two CPUs to compare, select a benchmark, and the CPUs you selected will show as red bars on the chart.
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'm going with the Pentium D since it's both 64-bit and dual core, and I don't like the sound of stability problems on a workstation. Since I'm going to be using this computer for only a few months on a tight deadline, I want the experience to be as headache free as possible. Now I'm wondering if my software supports dual core at all...anyway, I'm off to get the computer.
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    my a64 3200 is working without any hitches with a 450w psu. (good for me, yeah, but the only excessively unstable amd i've ever had was the thunderbird-c 1ghz. memtest86 spewed up like 500 pages of red errors unless i underclocked it to 950mhz, and the reason behind this was actually the cheap CompUSA brand powersupply)
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it. smile.gif The thing is being delivered to my apartment tomorrow afternoon.

I spent an hour talking with the guys at the shop and the consensus was if I'm building a workstation, go for the efficient processor, not the powerhouse. Of course some will disagree, but I'm building PS2 type game content. This is all I need.

Pentium D 2.66
    Intel motherboard
    PCI-e 6800GS 512MB DDR3 RAM
    1GB PC533 DDR2 RAM
    80GB SATA HDD
    19" flat CRT (1600 x 1200, 75mhz)
    500W power supply

With these specs, I'd have felt like a bigshot 2 years ago. But I'm spending $820 to make several thousands so it's all good. laugh.gif
  • PaK
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Good to see you have some work Snowfly. You're stuff is solid and I love your work, you deserve it. Congradulations smile.gif

-R
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I want a 75 MHz display, too.