Home General Discussion

New Toy ---- Wacom Cintiq

LHurtado
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
LHurtado polycounter lvl 17
New Toy. Wacom Cintiq. It's amazing. Wondering if anyone else has one, any tips and tricks?

556368449_l.jpg

Replies

• ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Supposidly mine is on backorder
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Looks amazing.

How much is it? and can it be used as a screen replacement?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    While I would love one, I do not currently have the funds to get one. Because correct me if I'm wrong they run from like $800 to $1000+?

At this moment I'm still using a grapphire 2, and I would like to get a new tablet soon, most likely an intuos this time round.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    The 21" version is $2500 and the 17" version is $1800.
    Yes, they can be used as a screen replacement.
    My eagerly awaited unit is supposidly the 21UX. Sweeeeeeeet!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    That is a very cool toy indeed.

Not to rain on your parade but are there any huge benefits to drawing directly on the screen versus looking up at a screen with a tablet on your desk (or in your lap, like me with my Intuos 2) that justifies the price?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    how's it compare to actually drawing on paper? That's my biggest problem with my tablet, If I want to sketch something I have to do it on paper, I don't know what it is, maybe actually seeing where my pen is or the fact that I can rotate the paper at different angles.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i'm using a 21ux and i LOVE it, if you lay it down flat (its on a lil adjustable swivel stand) you can actualy spin it around like apiec of paper, i do it all the time, i could not go back to a normal tablet now. one cool thing, is that you can actualy use rulers and circle templates and such on it, where it would be troublesome, since a wacom you can not see where you are placeing them
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    I had the model before that one (no button and touch strips on the side) at the last place I worked. It was very nice, especially for cell animation. It's worth the price difference. I have an intuos2, it's great but I miss the Cintique.

Only clean it with a damp paper towel, no chemical wipes or anything. Also, you should mail it to me immediately so I can uhhh... properly calibrate it for you. I'll send it back, I promise.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    my only issue is the size, I had an intuos 12x12 but it was too large to use and I sold it. I'd like to spend a day with one before putting all that money down.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    You bastard. I am green with envy.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Wow. I'd sure like to have one of those...or at least play with one a bit. I wonder how good it is as a stand alone monitor... Perhaps if it makes for a quality monitor, the price would seem less intimidating.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    its pretty much the best thing in the know universe. when the concept artist at mythic got a new 21 incher i stole his old 18 one. it rocked so hard. the difference between a cintiq and intuos for me was the same as going from a mouse to an intuos. it was the hardest thing in world for me to go back to alien voodoo drawing on one surface while looking at another and never being able to turn my canvas in realtime in photoshop like i would if it was paper, or like in painter. oh and dont even get me started on how awesome it was in zbrush.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    At that price the Origami sounds like an option. Provided it can handle Photoshop, that is.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    And provided you don't mind working on a 7 inch screen.

One of the guys at work has the previous version and let me have a play with it. I think I prefer my intuos to be honest. It'd likely be useful for people who are big on drawing in traditional media but I've never been much good with a pencil so I don't really feel the benefit.

As a monitor its not bad, but the view angle isn't all that wide and you do pretty much have to be sitting directly over it otherwise you get colour distortion.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    At that price the Origami sounds like an option. Provided it can handle Photoshop, that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously doubt that the touchscreen of the Origami, which is ment for normal input, is precise enough for real drawing.

The price of the Cintiq is kind of shocking for a student like me though ooo.gif
  • LHurtado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LHurtado polycounter lvl 17
    Hey guys,
    Sorry for not replying sooner, I've been really busy workin' on AOTS.

Anwyay, I use it as my screen replacement. You can rotate it like a piece of paper and lay it down flat or stand it up almost to 90 degrees.

I have developed 3 styles of working with it. The first style is using it as just a monitor. It has little wheels in the back so that its easy to bring the monitor up and down. So what I'll do is pick up its lil front feet and push it back so I can leave my keyboard in front of it.

Then there's the hybrid version where I put my keyboard inbetween the lil legs in the stand and move it out to the left a tad so I can hit V, B and all other such things one can do in Photoshop and Flash.

Lastly there's the fully drawing version where I've mapped pan to a sticky key. I have another sticky key setup to 100% zoom and I use the sliders for zooming in and out and making my paint brush bigger and smaller, if i hit shift and move the little slider it makes my brushes "feathered" or "harder".

I've found it to be incredibly beneficial in all the programs I use. Photoshop, Flash, After Effects, 3D Studio Max & I'm going to see what it's like with zBrush later on.

The only thing that upsets me is that I can't seem to find an option like in the intuos 3 setup that allows the sliders to only work if you put your pen on it.

Another issue is that it loses its accuracy around the edges of the screen, but not bad enough where it doesn't warrant a purchase. I was able to find it retail for 2400 bucks. Considering it looks like an Apple Cinema Display AND its got amazing brush sensitivity. I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of getting one and can think of ways to apply it to their art.

I'm thinking of buying one for home and hooking it up to a laptop and using painter in a figure drawing class.

The digital canvas is finally here, and this technology is only going to get better and cheaper, I foresee all artists will be moving towards this kind of input method. Especially because using the mouse or sylus is so easy to switch between.

The screen is very crisp and it has amazing color representation. My one note is that at 1600x1200 resolution, it drops down to 60hz, so if you're using it for a long time and you're staring at detail work for a while your eyes tend to get a bit tired.

It's TOTALLY worth the physical harm to your retinas though!

I hope to start painting with it more often once I get one for home. I'm going to try to produce one painting a day a la Tim Biskup --- 100 paintings in 100 days.

Lastly, this has really revolutionized the way I interact with the computer. It actually feels fun and energetic to be working with the same ol' programs I've been using since I was 12.

I had to comp out some railings in after effects for this skit we shot airing next week. Usually I would've loathed going in and masking out some tedious railings. But with the Cintiq it's actually fun to go in and path out the video.

I'm out.

_lou
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's TOTALLY worth the physical harm to your retinas

[/ QUOTE ]

Wacom should put that quote in their customer testimonials for the Cintiq!