Home General Discussion

Is it necessary to call it Next Gen anymore?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
Because isn't it now more or less current gen? Or will it remain next gen until the other 2 consoles are out?

Because I see people call normal mapped models Next Gen. Sorry, but Normal maps are now almost the norm(no pun intended) and they've been used for close to 2 years now in games, and I hardly consider that "next Gen".

Though I guess Next gen might just be a buzz word, and not a descriptive word.

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Of course it's a buzzword first and foremost but I don't think we should call the XC, PS3 and Rev current gen yet because two out of three aren't available yet.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    'Next gen' usually refers to the next generation of consoles. Seeing as nobody yet has a PS3 in their lounge, and only very few have a 360, I wouldn't quite say that 'next gen' has arrived yet.

With the exception of a few xbox titles, normal mapped models actually aren't the norm yet in games in your living room. ( Im not talking pc here ).

I do think its a stupid buzzword, and that it needs to go away, but yeah, what KDR said. Technically speaking 'next gen' isn't actually quite here yet.
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I guess normal maps arn't too common just yet, since I play games on PC the most, I see it more often than one who predominently plays on consoles.
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    People also still call it next-gen because we have no other next-gen to refer to. Until companies start announcing the next round of consoles or some new graphics breakthrough it is hard to define what the next generation will be.
  • Spoon_of_death
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    It'll probably fade out automatically, i remember people calling 2000 poly models next-gen back in the Q3 days laugh.gif
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    boy it sure sounds like somebody isn't ready to take things to the next level. i don't even know if you're going to be invited to the HD Era with that kind of talk, Neo God.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    its going to stick forever and people will start applying it to everything.

hmm i need to get me some of those new next gen shoes...
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You dont have any? pffft. I had me some next gen sex last night.
  • Mishra
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i would have had some next gen sex but all i could find was some last gen. pre-owned too.
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    "next gen" sex sounds pretty illegal laugh.gif
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    boy it sure sounds like somebody isn't ready to take things to the next level. i don't even know if you're going to be invited to the HD Era with that kind of talk, Neo God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah! I was one of the first people on these message boards to even tackle normal mapping! With this ugly little guy here!
    Pic1.jpg
    Yes it is bad looking which is why I revamped it sometime ago, but it was the 2nd normal mapped model to grace these message boards (and I mean old message boards) (first being a normal mapped cave troll for the mythical creatures contest)

So if anything Guass, my friend, I'll be at the forefront of this HD era, haha
  • Kevin Albers
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I use the phrase less and less. I've been making normal maps for the last three years, so to me pixel-shader tech is not super new, and certainly not something that will happen in the future.