Home Technical Talk

Brushes?

FEMTO
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
HI all,

probably this may sound a little cheeky, but was wondering if anyone had any cool photoshop brushes they would like to share with me?

Also, i am having trouble trying to paint hair. Maybe i am using my wacomn tablet pen tool incorrectly, but i can never get it right, how do you guys and girls normally paint your hair,i.e. achieving two fine ends with a thick centre, rather than one continuous thickness...is there a brush you use specifically for painting your hairs?

If you can help, thank you kindly, and if not then thank you kindly for taking the time to read my post!

Replies

• CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    One pixel hard and soft brush.
    Three pixel hard and soft brush.
    Master the brush options(opacity,tipshape,texture and scattering).
    I need nothing else.
  • Manic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manic polycounter lvl 18
    i was going to post my hair brushes for you, but then i found i have no idea where PS saves them...

i made a custom brush head out of a few randomly placed pixels, then on the brush styles, set the opacity to fade away.

there used to be an adobe tutorial on this that was really good, but i can't find it at all now.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The the first set of natural brushes work quite well for laying down the main mass of hair as long as you're not working on anything really really small (Handheld game textures and whatnot). You'll probably want to get your single pixel brush out once you're done to neaten things up a bit.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some awesome brushes here, great use of PS dynamics.
    http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=26889

And that's only one set, they offer something like 20 more sets... skin, hair, scales, skies, etc. Try 'em, you won't be disappointed.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Just make your own brushes, it is quite easy. On a white background, paint a little image in black. (Or copy a bit from another image.) Gray will give you feathering. Make sure the image is flattened, and rectangular select around it. Edit Menu > Define Brush Preset.

The brush will now be available as one of the defaults. Activate whatever tool you want to use, select the new brush, then go into the Brushes Palette, fuss around with the dynamics, scattering, etc. Once you are happy with the setting, close out, and create a new brush preset based off of the current brush and settings.

For hair, a row of dots, with the angle being controlled by pen tilt could be a good option.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ryno: I find that angle controlled by direction works better than pen tilt, for hair brushes. That might just be me, though. Also I don't think Graphires and some non-Wacom tablets don't have a Tilt function... so Direction is the way to go for that. Also good for natural media brushes.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, yeah, that direction option might be better for hair. Anyway, my point is that rather than always hunting around for just the right brush, you can make your own in a few minutes. Making the shape is easy, then you've just got to get comfortable with the dynamics options.