Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modern highpoly flying dutchman [WIP]

LordScottish
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
I started this one a few months ago but due to exams I wasn't able to complete it. Now I finally found time to work on it again and decided to open a thread for it. My idea is to create a modern flying dutchman, instead of the sea I was going for the sea of sand of north africa. Instead of a ship it's a jeep and instead of pirates I'll have something else.
As soon as I have the browning and some equipment done, I'll start on the driver.
I'm still thinking about making the jeep more ghost like, but haven't figured out how so far. Any suggestions are welcome.

jeep3.jpg

Detail of the Twin Vickers K, it's not totally accurate but it should be a good representation of the real gun.

twinv.jpg

Replies

• Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hedhunta polycounter lvl 18
    not to nitpick too much, but from a combat standpoint, the forward firing gun would be on the passenger side wouldnt it? i dont imagine the driver would be able to shoot that while driving, sand is very difficult to drive in as it is..
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Make it look older, maybe more rusty or bend/crashed something like that.

But otherwise really nice work.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    not to nitpick too much, but from a combat standpoint, the forward firing gun would be on the passenger side wouldnt it? i dont imagine the driver would be able to shoot that while driving, sand is very difficult to drive in as it is..

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's a historical design, the SAS version of the willy jeep was equiped like that. The 0.5 browning on the passenger side is still missing, I'm working on that one atm. I imagine they used both guns while they were not driving. Ambush tactics were common among the north african SAS unit. I wanted that design because it looks so improvisational smile.gif

Thanks JKMakowka, I think I'll do that and add a bunch of dents here and there. And I'll make the texture very dirty, sandy and rusty.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    The concept behind your model certainly is a cool one, even if a Jeep may be a bit small to be the new Flying Dutchman.

I'd also say you should put it in a way worse condition. The Dutchman always looks ragged because it was in a storm. I don't know what a desert storm can do to a Jeep, but it may be a good thing to look into. Rusty holes and such could really add character.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really keen to see where this goes LS. I recognised it immediately as a Willys jeeps as used by the SAS in North Africa. Sweet model. Yeah, I agree it'd be nice to see it really battered.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right ComradeJ, the rugged look is something I am aiming for and a characteristic part of the dutchman.

Thanks Daz! I just finished the browning and now it's time to make some signs of wear onto this jeep.

jeep4.jpg
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet! That's a great ammount of detail.

Are you planning on using some crazy shaders to convey the whole ghost thing? If real-time isn't a necessity maybe composite a double image with overly cranked motion blur, or use a particle to generate a compound blur. You could also exploit the old headlights-as-eyes gag with a night scene.

Nothing says "dead car" like a hole punched out of the hood from an ejected piston.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    why did you make the steering wheel so low poly compared to everything else?
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's meshsmoothed and will display with 2 iterations when rendered. For smooth viewpoint rendering the meshsmoothing is not displayed in the viewpoint.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    some sweet sub-d modelling there LS, nj!

I think the seat cushions could use some extra attention, they look a bit too stiff/rigid atm. Try go more organic on them as i think it would break it up real nice form all the hardsurface stuff. Something like this maybe: http://www.willys-mb.co.uk/images/pics/jeep-cat.jpg

Note: the cat might be a bit too much on the organic side tongue.gif

Keep up the good work laugh.gif
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the cool ref motives! smile.gif haven't found any good image of the seat cushions
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    LordScottish:
    it looks fantastic man, nice modeling work.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and is the tayers would actually bend a bit on the bottom, due to the weight, it would proabably add a lot to the realism.

Edit: duh, only if that is for a still picture of course confused.gif
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks kp!
    Good idea JKMakowka, this is on my to do list. Right now I'm working on the jerrycan. Their shape is so weird, I somehow can't get it right.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated the seat cushions according to motives ref, made the tires a bit flat at the bottom and rotated the whole jeep by 2 degrees to make the back look a bit heavier.
    Some of the jerrycans are not properly attached yet, I'll do that soon. I wan't to start on the driver now, those SAS jeeps have so much equipment, I could spend weeks on the equipment 0_o
    sorry for the bright render. It takes quite some time to render now.
    jeep5.jpg
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Nice attention to detail. Looks good.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the wheels are only bend vertically so far, right?
    Make them also bulge sideways.
    And I think it could well be a even more flatter, to add to the old rusty look you are planning to go for (and it adds more traction, which is often done in the desert to avoid getting stuck).

Oh and another cool thing to do would be to make it look virtually 'filtered' by bullets (hmm that doesn't translate to well from German frown.gif but I can't think of another way to express it right now). And have sand comming out of the bullet holes of the gas/water tanks smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    LordScottish it's always a pleasure to see your vehicle work, especially this high poly detail business. been great watching this one develop! keep us posted smile.gif
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea JKMakowka, that's now on my to do list. I'll also make a bullethole into the water jerrycan on the side.
    The tires are already bent vertically, but only a small amount. I think I could add a bit more, this would propably fit the idea of a ghost jeep well.

Thanks Gauss and Ninjas! smile.gif
  • chico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chico polycounter lvl 17
    that's getting pretty good here - nice believability feel to it. Dont overwork it now - I like how this is detailed but still feels realistic (details that make sense)
    Nice work
    Keep it up

chico
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh and another cool thing to do would be to make it look virtually 'filtered' by bullets (hmm that doesn't translate to well from German frown.gif but I can't think of another way to express it right now).

[/ QUOTE ]

The vernacular for English is "Riddled" by bullets, or 'swiss cheesed', or the like. laugh.gif
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    I dub that jeep "Explosion".
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the last update before I move to the driver. I changed one tire for a more improvisational feel, added some more details like the backpack and the water bottle and added 3 bulletholes. I might add some more details to make it more rugged, but I want to move on and work on the driver now.
    Any criticism or tips are still welcome smile.gif

jeep6.jpg

jeep7.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    holy shit that's a lot of gas onboard wink.gif I'd hate to get shot at in that ride blush.gif

Love the vehicle though. Not sure if I'm sold on the different tire since I think even the spares had the same tread.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    A few minor nits.

1.) The Jerry Cans should probably be the UK variety, rather than the U.S. type. These were identical to the German variety, including the narrow mouth.

2.)Rather than a U.S. Style M1938 Musette Bag off the top bows , why not a British Pattern 37 Large Pack, or Small Pack with an enameled Tin cup in the straps, and a Ground Sheet rolled under the flap?

As for the Driver and passenger. Khakhi Dril Shorts and Shirt, with slip on shoulder flashes. Pullover Sweater. RAF Goggles, and either a Beret, or an Arab Keffiya, Also Ammunition boots, short desert putees, or anklets and nearly knee high desert Hosetops, or long KD trousers tied off at the ankles around the boots. Oh and if this is WW2, everyone should have a cigarette in their mouths if they aren't in combat. Maybe Mk II helmet strapped somewhere,but as I recall they werent big fans of helmets in the LRDG. Also a few Enfiled No.I Mk. III* 's or No.4 MkI 's after January of 1943, Even a Sten or two.

Scott
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    bomb on wheels!!
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the hint Scott! I'll get back to the jeep once the driver is done.

A small update, I started on the driver. It was hard, because I only had a very small ref of this guy. I worked partially with photograph of him as an adult and tried to make him look like a kid.
    I'm no sure about the ears, they seem quite big to me. Criticism is very welcome.
    driver.jpg

driver2.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    EARS! I think right now the connection of the ear is a bit weak. You should probably grab Manu and really examine how the ear connects, especially at the top, bottom, and back portions. Right now it looks like it was grafted on, and doesn't really feel connected.

There is some nice subtleties in the face, but his chin looks a bit flat at the moment, it should probably have a little jut or roundness to it, even when opened like that.

TOO ALSO AS WELL!!!

Thanks again so much for playing host, and hope to see you in NC this summer! muuaahahahahahhahaahahahahahahah

schweiz_strawberry.jpg

poop.gif
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHAHAHA thanks Ben, it was awesome to have you here!!1 smile.gif I'll have a look at ears. The connection was driving me crazy, I had nowhere near the same amount of detail in the ear and in the ear connection area of the head and I had troubles connecting it.
    Also (too/as well) the chin isn't supposed to be that flat. It is supposed to be a bit angular(?) since he's stretching his face, but I didn't even notice how odd it looks right now, thx!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think the ears are large, but a little too low. If the guy faces forward, the top of his ear is even with his brows, and the earlope, is even with the bottom of his nose.

Scott
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good so far. Along with stuff already mentioned, I would take another look at the brow LS. The formation of the wrinkles right now doesn't seem too convincing. Try here:

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/scream.html

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/shout.html
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments Scott and Daz, they are very helpful!