• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    What are your exporting options?
  • CopperHaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question about baking vertex color. I will explain my process. I am using Faogen to bake the vertex color onto a high rez model. I export from Faogen (after I get the vertex AO bake) as an obj and import that into Xnormal. From there I make sure I uncheck Ignore per- vertex color under the high poly options in Xnormal and try to bake highpoly vertex color to a texture to a low poly model that is uv'd. It is a no go. Any one able to get this to work or know what I am doing wrong? One thing I do notice is that when exporting the obj from Faogen, I do not see a .mtl file associated with it. Should I be seeing one?

Thanks for any help!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    There are a few ways of storing vertex colour data in obj format. If you export a an obj from maya with vert colours it would show up in xNormal, whereas a mesh with polypaint directly from zbrush will work.

So I'm not sure if xNormal supports the way Faogen encodes vertex data.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    just wondering if anyone's had an issue, where exporting both a mesh and a cage as .obj from 3ds max has xNormal throwing up an error that their vertex counts do not match?

it works if i export as .3ds, but then there are some annoying seam issues due to 3ds splitting along verts uvw seams.

I don't use max, but I have heard of it's default obj exprter causing issues for some (missing faces, detached verts, wrong smoothing etc...). I remember an alternative obj exporter being recommended, but xNormal supports the fbx format better now, so maybe that's an option.
  • CopperHaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah. I am not sure how Faogen exports the vert color either. I have definitively baked vert color from polypaint no problem at all before in Xnormal, so I am almost sure that both xnormal and maya are unable to read what Faogen exports. If anyone has experience with this I would love to know how this works with Faogen exports. Thanks!
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Vrav wrote: »
    Can't seem to load an fbx from Blender. Says memory is protected when trying to bake.
    Using the latest build from the xN site. Before updating today, this sort of fbx worked...

Otherwise, happy new year for xNormal, hope eveything is going well. :)

Has anyone managed to fix this? Would be great to know how to make it work. :poly142:
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    I view in 3ds max (with Y changed to ' - '). Does it mean I will never get good results with max ?

So the side is a separate UV island AND a different smoothing group? That should render out fine. I've done it before with far less of a seam than you have there. It looks like there may not be much padding on the UV islands?
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah different smoothing groups for different uv islands. In xNormal I use about 8 pixels of padding. I thought it may be issue casued by something that oXYnary is talking about here :

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1169198&postcount=1984

Since you got better results maybe its not that.

Thx for trying to help ;p I thought my post was left for dead ;p
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    just wondering if anyone's had an issue, where exporting both a mesh and a cage as .obj from 3ds max has xNormal throwing up an error that their vertex counts do not match?

it works if i export as .3ds, but then there are some annoying seam issues due to 3ds splitting along verts uvw seams.
    Which version of xNormal are you using? Make sure that "Shortest Diagonal" is unchecked in the Plugins> Default Triangulator. Also, It can help if you pre-triangulate the mesh before export (save memory in xN too :))
    Frankie wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to fix this? Would be great to know how to make it work. :poly142:
    Sounds like a bug in the Blender export. Might be worth reporting it in the Blender bug tracker.
    Yeah different smoothing groups for different uv islands. In xNormal I use about 8 pixels of padding. I thought it may be issue casued by something that oXYnary is talking about here :

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1169198&postcount=1984

Since you got better results maybe its not that.

Thx for trying to help ;p I thought my post was left for dead ;p

Yea, Joshua is correct...This should bake without any major issue. For the padding, 8px might be ok, but it really depends on the texture size you are using. I usually use 8px per 1k of map (so 2k would be 16).
    Can you post the normal map, UV's and the objects (obj/fbx please) that you are trying to bake?...I would be happy to try and bake them here to see if I can find out what the issue is :)
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6144823/thomp.zip

Here you go. I hope I exported those right. Since I deleted example from which I made those screenshots I had to prepare this model again. It should give the same result. Thanks for trying to help.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Sounds like a bug in the Blender export. Might be worth reporting it in the Blender bug tracker.

I think the error come in with an xnormal update but haven't tracked it down as I don't want pre Normal 3.17.7 without the "- The FBX mesh importer has been completely rewritten. Now it can load the tangent basis from the files which is specially good if you use the Unity engine."

FWIW I did have it working at one point ages ago with blender 2.49.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    metalliandy - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6144823/thomp.zip

Here you go. I hope I exported those right. Since I deleted example from which I made those screenshots I had to prepare this model again. It should give the same result. Thanks for trying to help.
    Ok! I baked the new normal map and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary when everything was viewed in Marmoset.
    I imported the meshes into Blender so that I could make a cage and then set the UV islands borders to sharp (smoothing groups), exported into xNormal and baked with 16px edge padding.

Normal_results.jpg

There are a few sharp edges that show up when you are really close, but nothing that I wouldn't expect when the camera is zoomed in to such an extent and when the tangent basis of applications don't match.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2057427/Polycount/thomp.zip

Hope that helps :)

@Frankie, Ahh ok. Might be worth me running a few tests later... I will keep my eye open for the error.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Just wondering any more info about xNormal 4?
    Really like this tool, so would be nice to hear something more about the next version.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Just wondering any more info about xNormal 4?
    Really like this tool, so would be nice to hear something more about the next version.
    Still working on it :p
    We had to completely rewrite the UI system from wxWidgets to Qt so we got a small delay but we'll post an update soon :p
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    jogshy: Sounds sweet :)
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    hello all I'm getting the current error.
    errorvx.jpg
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikonane polycounter lvl 7
    Why does xNormal crash at the end of every render I do?

This is the first time I use xNormal in Windows 7 (32bit).

I get this problem signature:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: xNormal.exe
    Application Version: 3.17.9.0
    Application Timestamp: 4f4a5e1e
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_5bce
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b60
    Exception Code: c0000374
    Exception Offset: 000c380b
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1053
    Additional Information 1: 5bce
    Additional Information 2: 5bce71d8d54da5b419fecfd05c0cc915
    Additional Information 3: b2ed
    Additional Information 4: b2eda8bb034772ca34666c187a029a58

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    It does not save my settings after the crash as it usually did in XP when it crashed there.

I am using the latest xnormal version.

Any ideas? Thanks
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    jogshy wrote: »
    Still working on it :p
    We had to completely rewrite the UI system from wxWidgets to Qt so we got a small delay but we'll post an update soon :p

Will a Max-like "Match Material ID" baking option will be included?

Looking forward to more updates, this is a great tool.
  • spider2544
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2544 polycounter lvl 11
    Does anyone know how to make inward-facing AO maps similar to the ones here

http://colinbarrebrisebois.com/category/subsurface-scattering/

I cant figure out how to do it in Xnormal, and so far the only program that i know that can do it is max.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    spider2544 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to make inward-facing AO maps similar to the ones here

http://colinbarrebrisebois.com/category/subsurface-scattering/

I cant figure out how to do it in Xnormal, and so far the only program that i know that can do it is max.

xNormal can render out a thickness map which is exactly that as far as i can tell.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm getting some weird artifacts when baking. This image sums it up pretty well, although in reverse order. You can see on the left what the model with the normal looks like, the middle of the normal map itself, and the right is the low-poly and high-poly with the cage clearly covering it.

xNormalError.jpg

EDIT: Okay it was the smoothing groups affecting the bake.
  • Blind Boy Grunt
    does anybody have any good AO settings for characters? i keep getting washed out, undetailed AO's and no matter how i change the settings, it only gets more washed out or stays the same. im so confused??? and also, do you have to have a floor plane whenever you are using a cage?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Read the Help file, setting it to cosine, 128 rays should get your started.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having an odd problem with xNormal not baking the correct high-poly geo.

xNormalError02.jpg

On the left I've got the xNormal view with some low-poly geo's cage covering the high-poly (ignore the stuff above it, there's no low for that yet). But the bake in the middle is clearly baking some random stuff from above... the bake on the right is how it's baked within Max.

I've tried collapsing everything and resetting the xForms of everything, I've exported everything via different methods (using the plugin, objs for everything, including cages) and even baked without using a cage.

I'm lost for ideas!
  • danfitchie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been having problems with bleeding around my uv islands and came across xnormal dilation filter as a potential solution. I have done a test texture but am unsure whether the result I am seeing is normal/ desired.
    Below is the image.

http://flic.kr/p/bsbPJN (sorry about the link, my images aren't embedding)

At number 1 is what I was expecting to happen with the dilation effect extending the solid colour by the desired pixel amount. At 2 however the dilation effect isn't really close to the original sample; I can't see the effect solving my problems in those areas.

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Nope, you're right, that shouldn't be happening, which version of XN do you have?

OK, just tested with the pre-latest release, and it seems like the plugin has an issue, bummer, will check the latest version and go hunting for the old version and see which one works.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Is it possible to use the xNormal 3D viewer to view a height map, I tried loading the height map on to my low poly model, but it doesn't show up. Am I missing something, I would just do this in Maya, but the height map looks banded in the high quality viewport mode.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm wrote: »
    Is it possible to use the xNormal 3D viewer to view a height map

The height map texture slot can be only used in combination with a normal map in order to produce parallax normal mapping. You cannot use it alone.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great, thanks jogshy, that makes sense now.
  • Cycero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi guys I have some weird artifacts on my model:
    normalmapproblem.png
    I made this in softimage and xnormal. Changing geo approximatin don't solve it.
    Can you tell my what it is? (I hope it's correct place for this question ;))
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Double checked your low poly mesh?
    Might be doubled polies or unwelded verts. Throw a turbosmooth on the low and check if its clean.
    If it is clean, play with the "maximum ray distance" settings.
  • Cycero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's something wrong with exporting from Softimage...
    I imported this model into Modo, removed vertex normals then applied material with 180 smoothing and it looks good now ;)
    correctx.png
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    hello... baking vertex AO with Xnormal...damn its fast.... but it always softens the normals(normalising them) wich i dont want... anyway around this...
  • goldenamy70
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Double checked your low poly mesh
    luoying1.jpg
    luoying2.jpg
    luoying3.jpg
    luoying5.jpg
  • Bloodstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, I am having a problem with my normal map that is getting baked out of xnormal. The one out of maya is coming out perfect but baking out of maya is very difficult as it doesn't handle zbrush files very well.

Can anyone explain what is going on here?

pillar.jpg
    problem.jpg

thx!
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Show the vertex normals on your low-poly inside maya. Are they locked in a strange way/direction ?
    Have you tried the average normal of xNormal during the baking ?
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any chance for max 2013 compatible version ?
  • Bloodstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my tests of the averaged normals in all possibilities. I've added some obj's for testing. The low poly and a level 3 zbrush subdiv file.

OBJs

http://www.dizzydish.com/concretepillar.rar

pillar02.jpg
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Dave, I don't think it was anything to do with xNormal the low poly model appeared to be corrupt in some way. It bakes fine out of xNormal now. I combined it with a cube and it went all crazy in Maya and lost it's material assignment so I deleted history and then reapplied the lambert1 shader and reexported the .obj, works fine now. I also triangulated the mesh and remapped the uv's, I doubt either of those things helped though.
    slautinpillar.jpg
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait I take it back, the model seems to be fine. I think I've figured it out for real this time though.

1. The mesh needs to be triangulated first before going to xNormal, the triangulated mesh then needs to be used to render correctly in the Maya viewport.

2. There appears to be a bug in viewport 2.0 where the normal map displays incorrectly sometimes, restarting Maya often fixed some weird shading that was appearing.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any chance for max 2013 compatible version ?
    3.17.10 available.

- Fixed some crashes in the FBX mesh importer.
    - Added 3dsmax/Maya 2013 support.
    - Added preliminary support for Photoshop CS6.
    - Fixed a problem that was avoiding the OpenCTM mesh importer plug-in to load properly.
    - Fixed a memory leak releasing shaders in the OpenGL graphics driver.
    - Solved a problem with Growl ( GNTP-send ) which was causing some crashes.
    - Fixed a problem with color dialogs in the OpenGL graphics driver.
    - Now you can use derivative maps in the 3D viewport ( with parallax effect based on Morten Mikkelsen's blog entry )
    - Optimized the de-indexing phase for all the graphics drivers.
    - Optimized the DX9 graphics driver and dropped support for ps1/2.
    - Recompiled using the latest libraries ( Crosswalk 2012.5, FBXSDK 2012.2, Ogre3D 1.7.4 ).
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HIGH FIVE jogshy !
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Exactly what part of xNormal uses Ogre3D, the viewer?
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    Exactly what part of xNormal uses Ogre3D, the viewer?
    The mesh importer for Ogre ( btw, which only works in x86 mode ).
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    now include Ptex support and fix the batch baking stuff and you shall deservedly obtain rights to my firstborn child!

thanks for the new version :)
  • Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    Have a model where half of it is unwrapped, duplicated flipped and combined/verts merged and uv's offset by -1. I am getting a seam with an xnormal bake but not with maya, is there anyway to get xnormal baking without the seam like maya's bake?

xnormalerror.png

I've reproduced the error with a simple beveled cube and provided a download with the obj's I used, a maya file from which they were exported and the two bakes I have. Have tried many things such as triangulating the mesh, using a cage in xnormal, etc but no luck.

Files:
    http://www.2shared.com/file/TziADikh/bakingError_xNormal.html
  • mmikkelsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did u try viewing it in xNormals viewer? Also which version of xNormal are you using? The errors on the side look exactly like the software used to view it isn't using the same quad triangulation as the baker did.

It's a funny thing really. Everyone knows that quad triangulation heavily affects gouraud shading but since tangent space is a hidden vertex attribute no one considers that the same thing is true for the interpolated tangent space.
  • Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    I did say that I had tried triangulating the low for baking, but it didn't change the results. It looks the same in xNormals viewer, can download the files and try it yourself. The seam is where the mesh is mirrored.

For version, I used 3.17.5 initially then updated to 3.17.13.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Pola wrote: »
    Have a model where half of it is unwrapped, duplicated flipped and combined/verts merged and uv's offset by -1. I am getting a seam with an xnormal bake but not with maya, is there anyway to get xnormal baking without the seam like maya's bake?

xnormalerror.png

I've reproduced the error with a simple beveled cube and provided a download with the obj's I used, a maya file from which they were exported and the two bakes I have. Have tried many things such as triangulating the mesh, using a cage in xnormal, etc but no luck.

Files:
    http://www.2shared.com/file/TziADikh/bakingError_xNormal.html

Everything baked and displayed fine for me in xNormal 3.17.13.
    I loaded the objs, made a cage in the 3d viewer and then baked. Not really sure why it's going wrong for you :(
    Bake_no_seam.jpg
  • Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    For my cage I loaded the low obj as its cage. In Maya the envelope was exactly the same as the low so figured that might have worked.

Did you still get the seam in xNormal viewer with the xNormal bake I included? I'm wondering what I am doing wrong, I haven't made a cage in the 3D viewer before.