Home Technical Talk

xNormal - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hi jogshy!..neat tool and I'm planning on installing it in near future (I know, probably I'm the only one who haven't use it..lol). But I notice that you frequently update this tool, about the installer should I uninstall the old version and re install the new one?..or can just double click the setup and it automatically updates the content without having to do uninstall-reinstall process manually?..

Sorry but I just had to make sure things up before I do and install of every software on my system..thanks in advance!

_Revel
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No need to uninstall old versions, unless you need space.

Different versions of xNormal will install side by side in their own separate folders.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Thanks for the fast reply Ben Apuna!
    I see, that should clear things up. Well personally I prefer to clear the previous version though, cus its like months or weekly basis updates based on the user feedback. Even better to add a "Check for update" buttons in the interface, just a thought of a non-programming dude, dunno if that possible or not heheh..

Will try this tool for my next model!
    Cheers.

_Revel
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    Hi guys,

this is my first post here even though I have signed up a while ago (actually forgot I had an account). I have looked around and did a few searches but couldn't find this, but can xNormal make vector displacement maps? my apologies if this has been answered.
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    TeZzy wrote: »
    but can xNormal make vector displacement maps?

Yep. Btw, two advices:
    1. Use the MatchUV to get better results.
    2. Caution with FP formats. xNormal normalizes the heights all into range [0,1] and many programs using FP displacements expect real FP signed data.
    Is there a way to have a supersampling like Hammersley in 3dsmax?
    I'm afraid xn3 uses brute-force supersampling and a box filter.
    xn4 will use more advanced AA.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Just wanted to say thanks for this awesome program! It's been incredibly useful.
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    I wander if it is possible to autofill ray distance fiedls in the low poly tab?
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman wrote: »
    I wander if it is possible to autofill ray distance fiedls in the low poly tab?
    I can put a button to auto-assign the distances once you execute the distance tool.

To auto-compute them when the meshes are loaded it's not possible atm.
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    :poly003:
    That's great! I always wanted to economy my time on that. Thank you!
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    jogshy wrote: »
    Yep. Btw, two advices:
    1. Use the MatchUV to get better results.
    2. Caution with FP formats. xNormal normalizes the heights all into range [0,1] and many programs using FP displacements expect real FP signed data.

I'm afraid xn3 uses brute-force supersampling and a box filter.
    xn4 will use more advanced AA.

Thanks for the answer and the tip! cheers
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh just noticed th thread here for xnormal questions :)

Hey jogshy!

I'm using xnormal to bake my diff,ao etc map for the usage in cry engine2.

But if I want to use normal maps in ce2 without having seams in the normal map where the uv seams are, I need to use a feature from the 3dsmax RTT.
    It's called output as normal bump and is a checkbox at the pretty much end of the render to texture dialog.

The problem is I can't find such an option in xnormal.

Is such a feature in xnormal?
    If not could you integrate such a feature?

Then I wouldn't need to bake the normal map in 3dsmax extra if I want to use seamless normal maps in ce2 :)

cheers

sebi3110
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebi3110 wrote: »

But if I want to use normal maps in ce2 without having seams in the normal map where the uv seams are, I need to use a feature from the 3dsmax RTT.
    It's called output as normal bump and is a checkbox at the pretty much end of the render to texture dialog.
    AFAIK that "output as normal bump" just assigns the result to the DX viewport shader.

The problem is I can't find such an option in xnormal.
    Is such a feature in xnormal?
    If not could you integrate such a feature?
    I really don't know how 3dsmax smooths the seams. It's black magic.
    AFAIK, if there is an UV seam the light simply cannot be continous.
    I bet 3dsmax is making something with the normals but I'm not sure if that will work for hard-edges surfaces. Black magic.
  • sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mhm I will ask my technical director for that, maybe he knows what 3dsmax does with output as normal bump.

Fact is that it's fixing the seam in ce2.

Cheers
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebi: I'd be very curious about that as well, because as far as I know Jogshy is right and that shouldn't make any difference to your normalmaps.
  • sebi3110
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebi3110 wrote: »
    But it does. Try it with Cryengine2. Especially if it comes to mirrored UVWs.
    Hmmmm.... maybe it's because when you enable that option, as the normal map enables the DX viewport shader, DX9 computes the tangents...
    Let me make some investigations.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Hey everyone.
    I ran into some problems today when playing around with curvature studies.

An image is worth more than a couple of words or something:
    sbmvertcolorerrors.jpg

Anyone know what's going on? Am I doing anything wrong? At one point I managed to export a SBM which had less of these errors, but still not completely free from them.

My idea here is to use the xNormal "Bake highpoly's vertex colors" feature with my highpoly that has stored vertex colors and output this according to my lowpoly model uv layout.

Thanks.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you rendered the curvature map with a cage setup in a way that covers completely the highpoly mesh? How looks your normal map?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Jogshy he used a script for maya to generate the curvature map, exported it as SBM and reimported it, if i´m not mistaken.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Jogshy what SpeCter says is correct.

That is the highpoly you see. The curvature data is generated with rebb's r7_vertCurvature script and stored in vertex colors.

All I did was export this in the SBM format, and then import the very same file right afterwards. Unfortunately with these errors. :(

If you want I can share the highpoly when I get to work tomorrow.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I think I figured this out.

Rebb's curvature script will write vertex colors out of the 0.0-1.0 color range. I think the SBM format doesn't handle this case?

I haven't been able to confirm this. Trying to write a Maya script to clamp the vertex colors. But 65k tris is giving my computers memory a hard time ;)

Will get back on this later today.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I think I figured this out.

Rebb's curvature script will write vertex colors out of the 0.0-1.0 color range. I think the SBM format doesn't handle this case?

I haven't been able to confirm this. Trying to write a Maya script to clamp the vertex colors. But 65k tris is giving my computers memory a hard time ;)

Will get back on this later today.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Yep, I'm pretty certain this is it.
    Managed to confirm it just now by manually clamping a few vertices colors. Exported this. Imported it. Seems fine on the areas I clamped.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The SBM exporter for Maya needs the vertex colors in range [0,1], yep.

Btw, I'm delaying the 3.17.3 Beta 3 on purpose because I'm waiting a NDA to expire to HW-accelerate ray tracing... you'll see why soon :poly124:
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May we ask when this NDA will expire? :D
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    May we ask when this NDA will expire? :D
    Two weeks !
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward to it, i bet this will be amazing.
    Already marked it on my calendar, hope i will be able to mark it again for Xn4 :)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Sounds exciting indeed!
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've just uploaded the 3.17.3 final.
    And.. bah! The NDA was extended :(
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot :)
    And typical hope it dosnt get extended once more then :P
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What a pity, which date is it now?
    PS: Website seems to have problems(or is it just me?)
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    I'm a bit late to this thread, I won't lie... But the GUI. Is it going to see a revision any time soon? Because honestly, I feel like it really doesn't do xNormal justice.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    PatrickL wrote: »
    I'm a bit late to this thread, I won't lie... But the GUI. Is it going to see a revision any time soon? Because honestly, I feel like it really doesn't do xNormal justice.
    xNormal 4 was going to have a new GUI, though it might have changed from the vids posted.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSdEMzLhJTI&playnext=1[/ame]
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    yeah, no more full screen installer either. it's too much of an artifact leftover from the 90s, and i don't expect software to do that anymore.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In those videos I was using wxWidgets. Now I'm using Qt for xn4. Expect an update soon.
    And yep, I know, xn3's UI sux :p
  • Mypeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know if this is normal?

Bricks_normals.png

I have some bricks from zbrush and when i bake the edges are super sharp, i have 4x anti aliasing on, i dont know why everything is nice and smooth inside the brick but outside the shape its extremly crisp?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like the you might be getting some raycast misses. Try increase the two ray distances in the Low definition meshes section, then re-bake the normal map.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, this experience was a bit wierd. Anyone know why this happened?

I was having some problems rendering in Xnormal. Xnormal would just freeze up when "analyzing mesh" and then nothing happened.
    I know I had a similar issue with xnormal when I tried baking a zbrush model with polypaint information without assigning a file as base texture but this higpoly model was done in Maya and I had;

- triangulated the mesh
    - fixed any face normals (not that it should matter)
    - cleared history and transform
    - exported is as .obj without anything checked (this usually fixes stuff)

None of these things fixed the errror.. But then I tried renaming the model inside maya and now it works.
  • Tyrone70
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I've been stalking this thread off and on for about a year and decided to finally make an account just so I can ask about this really wierd error I'm getting.
    When I bake my normals, I'm getting a weird, almost tileable texture across it. My vertex color map comes out perfect, and normally, I don't get any errors that I can't fix, but this one baffles me.
    I'm used to using Xnormal, but any suggestions will help.
    Hippy_normals%20copy.jpg

*edit* Nevermind. I didn't realize that a fine detail texture was left in there. My bad.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker wrote: »
    I know I had a similar issue with xnormal when I tried baking a zbrush model with polypaint information without assigning a file as base texture but this higpoly model was done in Maya and I had;

- triangulated the mesh
    - fixed any face normals (not that it should matter)
    - cleared history and transform
    - exported is as .obj without anything checked (this usually fixes stuff)

None of these things fixed the errror.. But then I tried renaming the model inside maya and now it works.
    If you use non-ASCII characters for the name ( as Japanese Kanji or Cyrillic letters ) you might have problems.
    Can you compress the mesh with 7zip-ultra and send me the model for debugging, pls?
    Nevermind. I didn't realize that a fine detail texture was left in there. My bad.
    Yep hehe :poly136:
    The fine texture is usually a grayscale image that is blended on the top of the normal map to add micro detail. See the Smiley example for more info.
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any chance you will have ansio direction map capabilities?
  • tcogbogu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello. This is my first time being on this site. Found it by simply googling Xnormal crashes, and so I guess that explains why I'm here. I'm currently using v3.17.14... and it works fine, just till today. Tried generaating Normal and AO maps from a 3 mill poly mesh from zbrush but it chrashes giving the error: "Out of memory by 9556317 bytes"
    I use the Match uvs feature, and also initially used the tool for calculating ray distance, but whenever I click "Go", it gives the above error.
    I'm on win vista, 3gb ram, 1.66ghz dual core. The high rez obj file is 523MB large. could this be the matter?? or could it also be that I'm simply trying to render out just 2k by 2k maps??

Thank you for such a wonderful program. Xnormal remains the best.
    Cheers
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    womball wrote: »
    Pardon? I don't understand. What ansio?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    jogshy wrote: »
    Pardon? I don't understand. What ansio?
    It's not Aniso ? For anisotropy ?
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74848&page=11

Scoll to about midpoint of the page.

Its for ansiotropy direction. Which is how subpixel fibers affect the overall specual direction. Very apparent on hair, brushed steel and cds. Its what causes the stretched out highlights.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, anispotropic filtering in the viewer 3D? I can add it to the viewer3d for the next release, yep.

If you are referring to the U/V tangent map like it's used in the UE3 engine... then I need to investigate it a bit :poly124:
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That´s not what he meant jogshy ;)
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is he requesting just to output the binormal/tangent per-vertex vectors to an image then?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    womball wrote: »

The request here for Santiago to implement this is pretty misguided. You can't simply "bake" this, you need a full-fledged tool to "paint" the direction on top of the model. Its not something that you can just tick on a feature and bake. =P

As you want to define a direction counter to the normal direction, the user must define this, its not "bake-able" data.