Home Technical Talk

MAX 8 service pack 2

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
serive pack 2 is out go get it. it also contains all the fixes in service pack one, so if you didnt get SP1 its all good.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=6845920&linkID=5573636

Issues addressed by this Service Pack:

3RD PARTY
· Crash when performing a File/Reset on a scene with Brazil materials (SP 2).

BATCH RENDER
· Pixel aspect ratio is now saved properly with the file (SP 1).

BIPED
· Issues with retaining Figure Mode have been resolved (SP 1).
· Pasting an animated pose onto a track with no keys now functions properly (SP 1).
· Footstep Mode issues with the walk cycle have been corrected (SP 1).
· You can now set Quaternion keys for the neck of the biped (SP 1).
· A crash related to changing tracks to Euler and then exiting figure mode (SP 1).
· An issue relating to Physique and Twist links whereby the skin is corrupted after saving then re-opening scene. This has been resolved (SP 1).
· Biped problem in pelvis while in figure mode (SP 2).
· Fixed keyframe interpolation changes (SP 2).
· Crash when using Clear Animation on bipeds from previous versions of max (SP 2).
· Crash when performing create collection, copy posture, undo, redo all. (SP 2).
· Hand transforms transfer into figure mode. (SP 2).

CLOTH
· Crash when adjusting density in Cloth Garment modifier (SP 2).
· Crash with Cloth when adding instanced geometry (SP 2).

CONTROLLERS
· In max 8 there was a new functionality (see trackview controller menu -> Ignore/Respect animation Range) that allowed users to specify the range of a parametric controller.
However, the noise controller was not supported. This has been corrected (SP 1).

DIRECT X
· CheckVertex regression in DirectX (SP 2).
· Incorrect normals display for normal bump map when no bitmap is used (SP 2).
· Crash when editing .fx files used by the material editor (SP 2).
· Unreadable material libraries because they contain DirectX materials (SP 2).
· Crash in CheckVertex in DirectX (SP 2).
· Undesirable changes in .fx files display (SP 2).

DISPLAY
· Out-of-memory crash on viewport background when zooming in too close (SP 2).
· Out of memory crash when using grid snaps is now addressed (SP 2).
· Grid Snaps now function for sub-divided grid spacings( (SP 1).

EDIT SPLINE
· Accuracy refining using grid snap is fixed, however camera and perspective views are not recommended for this workflow (SP 1).

FILE I/O
· The plugin.ini file being re-ordered at startup (SP 2).
· Saving an OpenEXR overwriting a locked file is now fixed (SP 1).

HAIR
· Crash when rendering Hair using mental ray (SP 2).
· Hair and 32-bit virtual frame buffer incompatibility problem when using mental ray (SP 2).
· A crash involving spline hair and sub-object mode has been repaired (SP 1).

LOAD/SAVE ANIMATION

· Previously in 3ds Max 8, saving an animation where one or more of the controllers had a note track sub controller would cause a crash - this has been fixed (SP 1).
· A known issue in the retargeting roll-out of the mapping dialog, related to changing current/incoming chains in a previously saved xmm file has been resolved (SP 1).
· Previously the following maxscript command did not work; loadSaveAnimation.loadAnimation "c:\\ProgramFiles\\Autodesk\\3dsmax8\\animations\\test.xaf" $'Sphere01'.
This has now been corrected (SP 1).

MATERIAL EDITOR

· A crash relating to adjusting a bitmap's Placement setting has now been fixed (SP 1).
· A crash related to enable DX Display of Standard Material and then clicking “Show Map in Viewport” has been fixed (SP 1).

MAX SCRIPT
· Get/Set ActiveX methods discrepancy in MaxScript (SP 2).
· An issue relating to the mousetrack function giving an undefined error message has now been fixed (SP 1).
· An issue related to adding a position script controller to an object via maxscript, then receiving a system exception has been fixed (SP 1).
· Previously in 3dsmax 7 the drag and drop to viewport of a script that contained errors, would spawn a maxscript edit window with the erroneous line highlighted. This was not the case in 3dsmax 8, this has now been corrected (SP 1).

MENTAL RAY

· Artifacts rendered by raytracing inside of a mix map with mental ray (SP 2).
· Artifacts on face-mapped objects with missing texture coordinates when rendering with mental ray (SP 2).
· Light maps with artifacts on seams when using mental ray (SP 2).
· Crash when user logs off from an account used by satellite rendering (SP 2).
· Known artifact issues with Double Sided, Top/Bottom and Blend materials have been resolved (SP 1).

MESH SMOOTH MODIFIER

· Crash involving reactor cloth and mesh smooth “Render Iterations” is now fixed (SP 1).

MOTION MIXER

· Issue that did not allow 3ds Max 7 .mix files to be loaded in 3ds Max 8 has been fixed (SP 1)

MORPHER MODIFIER

· Crash relating to swapping morph channels and undoing/redoing the operation has now been fixed (SP 1).

PARTICLE FLOW
· Crash when moving a Particle Flow emitter that was created while holding Control key (SP 2).
· Crash when creating a non-dimensional Particle Flow source (SP 2).

RENDERING
· Changes in QuickTime settings prior to rendering were ignored (SP 2).
· Crash when saving a scene that contains batch render data (SP 2).

NETWORK RENDERING
· Duplicate material dialog popping up when net rendering through command line a scene that restores scene states. (SP 2)
· Not being able to submit a batch render job with a render preset in a UNC location (SP 2).
· An issue relating to corruption of files when saving a scene that makes use of Net Renderer has been fixed (SP 1).

RENDER TO TEXTURE
· Failure when changing output paths with Render to Texture Strip Render (SP 2).

SCRIPT CONTROLLER

· An issue involving script controller variables loosing connection when controller targets are changed has been fixed (SP 1).
· A crash related to saving and loading a script then undoing has been fixed (SP 1).

SDK

· SetBipedRot not working in Pose mode for feet, clavicles and fingers (SP 2).
· Crash involving the compiled SDK sample file IGameExporter.vcproj and DX materials has now been fixed (SP 1).

SKIN
· Reverting to previous Bone Affect Limit value has been resolved. (SP 2)
· Update problems with vertex Abs Weight spinner has been addressed (SP 2).

TRACKVIEW
· Crash in trackview due to a GDI objects leak (SP 2).

UV UNWRAP
· Unintialized code in texture lookup table no longer crashes the software (SP 2).
· Fix for crashing when opening Edit UV’s dialog after performing a sub-object selection. (SP 2).
· A fix was included that allows unwrap to open a multi-sub-object material that contained a "None" material (SP 1).
· A bug, where changes to mapping at the face sub-object level were lost when a selection change was made, has been fixed (SP 1).

VERTEX PAINT MODIFIER
· The icons for Brush Presets in the Vertex Paint Modifier are now displayed on French and German OSs correctly (SP 1).

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    · Crash when editing .fx files used by the material editor (SP 2).
    · A bug, where changes to mapping at the face sub-object level were lost when a selection change was made, has been fixed (SP 1).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yaaay! Most frequent annoyances, for me at least.

Cheers for the heads up Arsh.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    lovely, but wish they would fix more basic stuff like not crashing everytime I use 'undo'
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    lovely, but wish they would fix more basic stuff like not crashing everytime I use 'undo'

[/ QUOTE ]

AAAAAAMEN!

poop.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Only thing that ever makes Max crash frequently for me is Render to Texture, but so far 8 has been more stable with that.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max is so weird i dont know how they even fix bugs. i know lots people who have problems with 8 when it has never crashed or hung up once since i started using it. but i had all kinds of problems with 7 mostly crashes. and now i hear people using 7 insead of 8 cause 8s too buggy. i must of got the bizzaro copies of both 7 and 8. 7 was a crash tastic pile of crap and 8 runs nice for me.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    generally speaking (i'm with the crowd that prefers 7 over 8 - more for financial reasons, though wink.gif ) i found that weird errors with max sometimes have their roots in crappy drivers - we all know the famous make-max-dissappear-instantly driver problem, don't we? - and equally crappy hardware.

for example i had a heavy render scene that was giving me massive headaches on every machine i had access to that had no ECC memory installed. on machines with cheap standard RAM it all started rendering black frames after a while. on the ECC equipped boxes of the lead staff, it worked without a flaw. you can guess now which type of RAM i prefer for my own machine these days...

bottom line, it might not be max but a slightly faulty system. over the years i had several strange occurences that led me to the impression that apps like max are a better in-depth system testing tool than the usual suspects.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    weird arsh, max7 has been really stable for me, max8 was crashtastic until SP2, since then it has only crashed once... although i'm sure it'll do it a lot more.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    if I move my legs and arms simultaneously max crashes.
    Or if i blink twice in a row...
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know I had crashing problems in 7 with the render to texture, but 8 has yet to crash on me in the 2 months I've owned it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Weird! Render to texture has never caused a problem for me, ever...
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the reason it would crash for me, would be if I generated a normal map and I applied it to the model to see how it looks, then decided to re-render it, if the normal map was still applied to the low poly model, Max would crash. SO I had to remove the normal map every time before doing another render to texture for it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Odd. Max8 has only crashed on me once. And that was largely due to me having 10 heavy apps open for an extended period of time.

The update certainly fixes some issues, but one is not fully resolved yet. The sub object UV mapping is still borked a bit, and that REALLY pisses me off. When I have a whole singluar mesh, I select whatever faces I want, then apply a UV map to those. With this update, it actually works again, but it does some funky things in the unwrap window. It will auto-select the verts of the faces I have selected. And if I click on face selection in the unwrap, the screens wigs out, and deselects and reselects all of the faces. REALLY annoying.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    This sucks. Max 8 was working fine for me with SP1. Now it's unstable, and it won't load .bip files properly. I also get a weird error window everytime I'm lucky enough to close the program manually.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    see this is kind of what i meant by i dont see how they ever fix bugs, everyone i know has a different problem with max. its so strange. i think its time for a re write from the ground up, hopfully thats what max 64 will be. i can only hope.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    yeah arsh, i think they should rewrite from the ground up too - just get a feature list of everyone's favourite/most useful tools from max and any other 3d software, make it as customisable as Silo and build in zbrush-style functionality... then we're good to go smile.gif
  • HatewarE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HatewarE polycounter lvl 17
    strange... after I've installed the service pack I couldn't run max anymore. I had to reinstall it to get it to work again.