Home General Discussion

Dark Crystal 2 and Genndy Tartakovsky:

blankslatejoe
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
I'm not sure Tartokovsky's directing style exactly fits the dark crystal world--I'd rather see Brian Henson's take on it, but Tartokovsky is damn amazing, and I'm excited about it:

http://henson.com/company/20060201.html

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    maybe, but what Tartovsky touches turns to GOLD, so count me as sold smile.gif
  • Withers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Withers polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about this.
    I mentioned the story to a couple of friends my age, and they were equally as skeptical.
    It just seems like you cannot possibly do it better, so why risk sullying the name?
    It would be like someone making a new SW without Lucas.

Has there been any word on the style?
    I read through that page, but I did not notice anything saying if it would be hand animated, puppetry, cgi,etc...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, if only someone had.....
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bwahahahaha!

Personally, Clone Wars is the best example of SW without Lucas, which was a product of Genndy Tartakovsky.

I have faith in this movie.
  • Withers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Withers polycounter lvl 18
    I flaked on the fact that he was the CW creator when I posted...weird coincidence there. I have yet to watch any of that myself, but other die hards I know have told me they did not like it.
    Samurai Jack I have seen though, and while I did not love the art style, the direction seemed excellent.

Regardless though, my intentions were not to start a debate on Lucas. (I'm sure my feelings on him are pretty obvious)
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I love Tartovsky.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    I loved Clone Wars. I think Tartakovsky skill in getting such quality into such short episodes could have taught Lucas a few things.

I'm really hoping The Power of the Dark Crystal turns out well. I think I will have to get the DVD of the first one as present for the missus at lunchtime.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Has there been any word on the style?
    I read through that page, but I did not notice anything saying if it would be hand animated, puppetry, cgi,etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I read that Brian Froud, who was responsible for basically the entire look of the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, is doing much of the design and concept work again. I also read that most of the characters would still be puppets while the backgrounds and other effects would be CG. It would be cool to see some modern matte paintings of the world of the Dark Crystal.