Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

just doodlin' away

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
oii! i did this over the past few days, off and on, and figgured i'd post the damn thing

i'm pretty happy with the black and white version, but i've got a feeling that the color version is a little messed up.. i am color blind :\ (red-green) anyway there's all sorts of stuff borring about the color that i could fix up, but i'm getting bored with this fellow so i think i'll give him a post.

edit: my friend just told me about the eyes/lips color issues. maybe i'll go back to him later..

cartoonguy_4.jpg
cartoonguy_2.jpg
cartoonguy_3.jpg

Replies

• DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool concept John! Although he is kinda... gross laugh.gif I love the expression on his face.

I think his nipples should be a little more defined and tinted, although I can't quite tell from the angle of the shots.

You have such nice shoulder & arm (whats left of it anyways shocked.gif) musculature, I could learn a lot from your example wink.gif

Can't wait to see him tweaked up!

-DK =^..^=
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Mr warner,, kick ass.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    possibly the strangest thing I've seen this week
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    me too... thats saying something!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys smile.gif i think this is the first thing i've done in 3d when i had absolutely no idea what i was making the whole time. it was a fun process, and i'm happy that it turned out to be really strange. maybe i'll try doing some more of them..

DeathKitten- you're totaly right about the nipples for sure. if i go back to him i'll nail them right out. hehe
  • GLandolina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GLandolina polycounter lvl 17
    haha for some reason his expression made me think "ren and stimpy" i love it smile.gif
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    quite interesting! good show so far, but I gotta say, I have no idea what's going on.

Too much grey, John. Seriously, get some color into this poor fellow. Grey != shadow. Dump some blues and reds into him.

I have no idea whats going on above the clavicle(seriously, what are those folds about?) Maybe root some of that area more in anatomy study?

The grey definitely looks much better than the coloring. You've got an interesting mix of photosourcing and painting, it seems. Try and bridge the gaps a bit more, though.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Didn't know you were colorblind, it's so weird it'd be hard to say if anything was off. His arms look delicious though.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glandolina - thanks man

stoofoo- dude, you're totaly right. if it's one thing i really need to break down to the fundementals and re-learn, it's color.. mixing it, painting with it. gah.. it's so damn frustrating too because the only way i know i haven't colored skintone green or haven't put 200% of the redness i need in certain areas is with the eye dropper tool. i must find away around this. hehe as far as the clavicle area, yah, it's hilariously crap. i basicaly just doodled something in there. taht whole area's a little bit crazy on the model, because there's no room for the sternomastoids(?).. anyway, bleh.

i think when doing speed models you probably find out what sections you don't fully apprecieate because you graise overthem. interesting.

anyway man i apprecieate the crits. cheers.

weiser_Cain - yah, it's a tad bit frustrating hehe
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Jesus John put the pipe down!