Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crustacean Creature

ckaos
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ckaos polycounter lvl 18
Hi everyone ! it has been ages since i posted here , so i thought i'd rejoin the fun after lurking and staring at the beautifull generall's posts!

This was started for a cgtalk comp a few month ago , but never finished: it's almost finished unwrapping, i'll get to the textures soon.

My Concept:
concept3-2-small.jpg

Arth-wip2-2.jpg
Arth-wip2-3.jpg
The tail is curved like that for a more "agressive stance" btw.

Any feedback and criticism is quite welcome!
Also , if there are any wings3d users out there : is there a way to fake cylindrical mapping besides the "mark edges for cut" method in the uv editor? right now i find the uv mapping method in wings a bit clunky for ojects cut up like this one.

Thanks in advance !

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    jeez you even learned concepting and modelling just to convince us your marketing posts are real! these guys are certainly putting the effort in..

laugh.gif looks cool man I think you captured the 'whispy' feel of the concept well. I wonder if your smoothing groups/hard-soft edges could use tweaking in a few places?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    No they have one artist working in that place to make stuff for the rest of them... like funny pictures and stuff. He probably couldn't believe that he could actually do some real art for a change laugh.gif

My crit would be that the concept looks too insect like, but with the curved tail and a different texture the model will look just fine I guess.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    You guys are so niave, open your eyes! He's definitely moonlighting for the evil lobster-fishing corporations. Don't let him brainwash your minds! Fight for your culinary freedom!

The head is a bit hard to read, compared to your concept. I suppose a texture will fix that, though. It's pretty hard to comment in general about the polygon flow as a lot of it is just a mess of triangles without proper smoothing groups.

All in all looks nice though, and gets the job done, even if it is corrupting our minds.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    yeah except for the smoothing its allready pretty damn sweet

there is something about those insect like legs i especialy like smile.gif