Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Operation Underground Assault

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
I wanted to post what I've been working on these past few weeks, but it i wasn't happy with current progress, and then finally tonight it all clicked. Before I go pass out, i wanted to show some screenshots from the SWAT4 level im working on.
Thanks to Ivalice for introducing me to the game laugh.gif

Replies

• Phobos
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good lee.

A few observations; There is a lot of graffiti that looks like it was freshly painted on the wallts of the subway. Add some subtle wear and tear to the walls, as if people have been leaing on it or maybe someone scratched a little off. The advertisments along the top of the subway also look as if they've been painted ontop of a structure. They should look as if they are inset behind the plastic or glass used to place them there. The lights along the ceiling of the subway don't really fit. Lights on a bus or subway are usually placed along the sides with the ads or are very minimal along the top.

Which engine does swat 4 use? From an unreal stand point(and if the engine is similar) you can fix a lot of the soft and blurry shadows in the subway station by adjusting the ligtmaps. However I don't know the swat 4 engine so this may not apply.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos: Thanks for the suggestions, i'd definately change those points that you said. Swat 4 uses a modified Unreal 2 engine, I think its unreal 2.5, because it has motion blurr and other cool effects.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Good work so far. I've heard you mention this project a few times. Phobos' advice is good. The graffit looks to clean and bright in the screenshots. Blend them in a bit, so the scene isn't too colorful. I've never been in a subway, so I can't say much else.

Try to fix that lightmap like he suggests. And when you do, explain to me how it's done. I can't stand the shadows in many Unreal Engine custom maps.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, Swat 4 was built using the Tribes:Vengeance engine, which was built on Unreal. I know that seems like there shouldn't be a difference, but Irrational Games changed a lot of the structure of the code and how it functions. Basically, it should carry a lot of Unreal 2 effects, but don't expect things to convert the same wink.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    notman: oooooooh smile.gif i wondered why theres so much functionality missing. lol.
  • Phobos
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos polycounter lvl 18
    I should have speicified. Lightmaps only work on bsp surfaces. If you want to get rid of bad lighting and shadows on your meshes you'll want to tessellate them a little more. Here's a good exlpaination of how the engine handles lighting.

Vertex lighting
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I should have speicified. Lightmaps only work on bsp surfaces. If you want to get rid of bad lighting and shadows on your meshes you'll want to tessellate them a little more. Here's a good exlpaination of how the engine handles lighting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can also render shadow maps for your static meshes in max using UV channel 2.

Previous comments aside, looking pretty cool.
  • Zergxes
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, a train route sign, hand print smears, maybe some ball-point pen graphitti. The bars going into the slid-in signs looks a bit out of place, maybe move them so they join the upper celing instead.

Great so far, really like how you extended the graphiti onto the chairs.
  • Cubik
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Phobos: Thanks! That tutorial did a good job explaining why should avoid certain things in your meshes if you want your vertex lightning to work correctly. I knew what I shouldn't do before, I just didn't knew why smile.gif.

Lee: Nice that you got the Polycount logo in there. You could add some more beams running along the ceiling if you want to add some more detail that won't hinder the players. A couple of station signs hanging from the roof over the tracks, parallel to the tracks, and an exit (or second floor or whatever is fitting) signs over each of the stairs would add some more realism.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the suggestions, they really help!

Cubik: getting the train done correct was the first hurdle. once its finished I can move onto decorating the subway smile.gif
    Tonights updates: Redid the subwayCar's lights. added poles for holding onto, redid the ads on the ceiling.

Tormorow: add graffiti back onto the inside of the train and on the windows. start working on the other platform, link the 2 together.
  • Zergxes
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet! You should recycle this for a Predator 2 mod.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    more updates soon laugh.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good Lee! You got my main crit about the long thin polys. For some reason Im also still not totally buying much of the grafitti. Seems too clean. Also the ceiling could probably use some etra love. Its just a bit plain currently.
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Don't forget vents, access hatchs.

Go inside a subway train and take alot of pictures.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    some nice stuff, i think the problem with the graffitti is how blurry it looks compared to the other textures.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus: thanks. ceiling needs alot of love smile.gif

Moz: "Go inside a subway train and take alot of pictures." I have no subway train near by. frown.gif. Raleigh has no subway system, ive just been collecting images from google.

yeluis: graffiti, still working on that.

Updates soon, lots of changes in the overall look.
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I ride the subway every day, I'll get a few for you.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    cool thx Moz laugh.gif

small update, fixed various problems. working on getting projectors to display graffiti now.
    underground09.jpg
    underground10.jpg
    underground11.jpg
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    That's looking WAY better than the original.
    It seems like there were more poles and arm rests in the subways I've been on.
    Your subway maps look like the ones from D.C. (not that it's bad, just an observation)
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for the advertising! poly112.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Post deleted by Lee3dee
  • Zergxes
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice! The last pic looks a little bare compared to the other two. Maybe a ticket selling machine and some signage hanging from the celing?
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes: thx smile.gif

TheGodZero: thx for helping me with the normal map plugin laugh.gif

Currently populating the central area with meshes. I have my list. hehe. Then onto the 1st floor with ticket booths, etc. Then optimization. laugh.gif

assault07.jpg
    assault09.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Gah! Closeups of the arcade plz! Did you make the arcade machines? I wanna see!
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Scoob: sure I can laugh.gif. The arcade units were in the game, I made a few textures to replace them.

Getting close to finishing the lower level. Ceiling needs to be fixed, some miscellaneous meshes and the floor need to be a bit smaller. Then its onto the upper level.

assault13.jpg
    assault16.jpg