Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

anatomy study WIP

graves
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
graves polycounter lvl 18
Here's something I'm slowly working on. Its mostly to help me with the human anatomy and muscule layout. critiques and drawovers are appriciated.
frontwires7sh.jpg
frontsmooth2yj.jpg
backwires7br.jpg
backsmooth5yj.jpg

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Humans don't have holes below their ribcage tongue.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It's hard to tell on the angle, but it appears like the chest and shoulders are too narrow.
  • graves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's some more shots. I got a little bit more done to it
    frontshot1za.jpg
    sideshot1nh.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The legs definitely need a little more beef to them. Mainly in the width, but overall they need some improvment. I think you have a great start though
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think he needs some hips too, keep it up!
  • PieXags
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PieXags polycounter lvl 17
    Along with the legs, I notice the back of the hands seem too short. The fingers are really long, but the palm and especially the back of the hand seems a little too short to go with those fingers. I don't know about you, but the area from my wrist to where my fingers start on the back of my hand is almost as long, if not as long as the fingers themselves.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    What references are you working from? If you want to actually learn how the muscles in the human body look, I'd recommend against using bodybuilders as reference - they're not natural, and pumped up on all kinds of weird stuff.

For starters I notice that the biceps isn't very well placed or shaped. Also, the muscles running along the back of the arm, and the elbow area are looking pretty weird (too linear) right now.
    Muscles have a lot of twists and deep connections that it can be hard to figure out. I recommend getting your hands on a proper (good) medical anatomy book, one with nice pictures on where all the muscles are placed and connected.

As has been said, his hips and legs are currently way out of proportion with his upper body, also the abs area is looking pretty weird.

I can do a paintover if you like, however my knowledge of anatomy isn't brilliant, so although I can see obvious errors in anatomy, it's not always so easy for me to correct them entirely precisely tongue.gif

Keep working on it, get a book of really good references of actual muscle placement and that should help a whole lot than just using image ref from the internet (which is what I assume you're doing).
  • XepptizZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XepptizZ polycounter lvl 17
    He looks weird :P.

His chest muscles run beneath his arm muscles? 0_o, have a good look at yourselfe aswell :P.
  • graves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thankee all
    I guess i wasnt really sure where i was going with it. At one point i gave it a werewolf head, (it still has the claws from that stage:P) Hence the exaggerated proportions. I gonna drop the fantasy style and go for a more realistic look. Ya Mop, my references are mostly bodybuilders found online. I though that would be more direct than using cutaway models with the muscle structure exposed and then extrapolating the surface data. I guess Ill break out my ole anatomy book and see if it helps.
    XepptizZ:I was unsure on how do build an armpit so i left that area as an open edge.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Clavicle is too thin (it is a load bearing bone that is usually bigger around than your biggest finger) and is curved strangely, shoulders are pulled high and in a little far, the horizontal crease between pec groups is a bit extreeme, yeah check the hips and legs. The way you have wrapped some of your edges is great. This will kick a lot of butt if you keep at it.

I find it helps if I sketch skeletons, then draw some with muscles over them- it makes me think about the shapes more and how the skeleton relates to the muscles.

I'd check out Hogarth's dynamic anatomy/figure drawing books- he exaggerates things, but his books are good learning tools.
  • XepptizZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed, I like the polyflow.
  • graves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im still slowly plugin away at this. I feel foolish not using a proper anatomy book from the start, its really been a huge help. Thanks for the recommendation Zergxes, I picked up a copy. Its a great compliment to what book im currently using
    Human Anatomy for Artists

smooth8vy.jpg
    wires6az.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    HIS LEGS ARE TINY!
    AHHHHHHHh
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff, this looks much improved, you're definitely demonstrating that you know your muscle placement and sizing better here.

However, I'd recommend you tone down the definition a bit... some of those lines are just too sharp and harsh between the muscles, it's like there's no skin covering them. It's a fine line to walk between reality and definition, I think at the moment you've gone a tad too far on the definition. Easy to fix though.

Keep it up! smile.gif
  • XepptizZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really nice, keep it up.

I say, go for the highdef, the best way to pratice is to go overboard the first time. When you've got it than you can consider toning it down.
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Corry Frydlewicz polycounter lvl 17
    The new arms are SEXAY!!!

Good luck with the head attachment, I always F that up ^^
  • xstortionist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xstortionist polycounter lvl 17
    arm looks great...i think ur on the right track.
  • graves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys. I dont have any further updates atm. Ive got finals and im swamped with work. I dont seem to finish most of my WIPs but im adament in seeing this one to the end.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    fingers are too 'stringy'.perhaps try a push modifier on them
  • graves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still slowly working away
    backsmooth0re.jpg
    backwires0og.jpgfrontsmooth7ls.jpgfrontwires7qs.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey graves take a look at www.wwe.com superstars they might be jerks but they have great references in muscle anatomy.

so far i dig yours, too muscular, but hey..its a study , so :P