Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

I have a request. [Minor(?) UV mapping work]

KGtheway2B
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
KGtheway2B polycounter lvl 17
Hello! I've been a lurker here for about a week and II must say the talent here is incredible! I'm simply blown away by the quality of work I've seen in the "general" contest! (off topic but is there a previous contest I can see results of?) However, I have come across a problem that, although I could probably eventually learn myself, would take too long and not be worth the effort to figure out myself. My problem is this: the UV map used on this model interprets the texture horribly. The border of the model mapped out by the texture squashes the texture badly. What I need done is for someone to decompile whichever file (mdl vtx phy--- I don't know which) tells the HL2 engine how to use the vmt/vtx texture file in relation to the UV map and lengthen it up a bit. Let me see if I can clarify myself a bit with pictures.

The models I'm trying to fix are the standard building blocks used in sourceforts (www.sourcefortsmod.com)
Heres the corner of one:
sjjjjf_nowhere0000.jpg

As per default, the borders don't look too bad, but when making a custom texture, it becomes obvious that there is major distortion happening on the border. The image below shows exactly how much it squashes.

sf_GUIDE.jpg

NOTE: the oblong ovals in on the sides actually become circles when mapped onto the model. (Move your head to the side of ur screen till they become circles to see just how much it cramps it up)
All I'm asking for in the end is a model that doesn't squash so much. It might be some variable inside some obscure file, it might involve decompiling from scratch, I don't know.

To get the models that need the fixing you can simply download the mod as a whole (try it out sometime too, it's pretty fun and the new version coming out soon fixes all the stupid bugs) and get to the models that way.

So let me know if anyone could help! I'd be forever thankful and appreciate any ideas that anyone has on how to fix this.
Again, you guys are awesome!

[hope this is right topic]

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I might be inclined to help, since it's late and I'm extremely bored, but you've got to supply something a little better than "download the whole mod".
  • KGtheway2B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, sorry about that, it's only 13 mb but that wasn't very clear. I'll host the files if you'd like but for now I'll give the DL link: http://kylegar.net/files/sourceforts-1.9.0.exe

The models are located in the sourceforts/models/sf folder and the corresponding vmt/vtf's are in sourceforts/materials/models

From what I understand, UV maps can be quite a pain but these are fairly simple models (just blocks basically) and hopefully shouldn't be too much trouble. Let me know there's anything I can help with or explain (to the best of my knowledge) I would normally try and figure these kinds of things on my own (like I've done so far with textures) but from what I understand doing this takes some big/complicated/expensive programs and I didn't think I'd ever have the desire to do more than just tinker.
    Thanks!
  • KGtheway2B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've looked a bit furthur into doing this and I've learned how to decompile the .mdl files and extract the .smd and .qc files. From what I understand and from what I've tested so far, the .qc file holds the info for the property type in the game and also calls upon the textures that the model uses. There's a lot of stuff in there that's foreign to me however, and most of this is just speculation. I tried to recompile the model into a .mdl file by dragging the .qc file into the studiomdl.exe and it does create .mdl and vtx and a bunch of dx80/dx90 files. However the resulting files are missing the border texture and use the wrong face texture as well as only exhibiting any different properties (i.e. wood, brick) in a listen server, not in online one. This might be due to a consistancy-check but I'm not sure.
    Hopefully what I've found so far can at least help. And any pointers would be greatly appreciated, but in all honesty I doubt I'll be able to do this without owning some fancy 3d program. Thanks!

Oh, and by the way, I've contacted the developers of SF and they are okay with anything as long as the credits are given where due.
  • KGtheway2B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone else extremely bored?