Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Uriel 2.0 and Ally

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
Some new stuff from me.
a_allyfalcon.jpg

Ally Falcon, a repaint of an old sketch I had laying around.
Uriel moves to Quake IV Engine. After I tore him a new one in the Quake III Arena he limped off to get some upgrades.
a_uriel.jpg

Replies

• Toomas
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Allys hand is in a awkward pose and i am not sure that the fingers are correct lenght.
    Uriels (i like the piece very much) right hands fuck* finger is pointing up while other fingers are in grasping (spelling??) pose, its not just possible - atleast with human hand. Try it if you dont belive me and unless you are over bendable it takes you great trouble to make your fuck* finger even straight.

* - i cant remember how the fucking finger is called, but i am sure you get my idea.
  • Asthane
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, you are obviously not a fan of dynamic hand gestures, eh?

[ QUOTE ]
    Uriels (i like the piece very much) right hands fuck* finger is pointing up while other fingers are in grasping (spelling??) pose, its not just possible - atleast with human hand. Try it if you dont belive me and unless you are over bendable it takes you great trouble to make your fuck* finger even straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, lemme get this straight, you're claiming it's physically impossible to flip someone off? laugh.gif

Personally, I don't like Ally's face or shirt, but it's more style than anything. The 'disgusted' look isn't a common one.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That Uriel kicks ass, man. I agree that the middle finger is in a weird place, although it's not physically impossible, it does look odd.
    Definitely model him, he'd be amazing in-game.

The girl is pretty cool, nicely painted, if a tad generic. I like the design you had on her belt buckle, seeing that echoed elsewhere in the design would work well, I think.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    These are cool, my favorite parts are your techy bits, especially on uriel's leg.

I would work on making the poses even more dynamic and fluid, the biggest change i could see is arching uriels back more, right now the poses feel stiff and i think you could exagerrate them a bit more. Also the hand gestures could use a little work, i think their biggest problem is they the fingers dont flow from one to the next, if i get a chance i'll upload a sketch to illustrate what i'm talking about.

Light sources could also use some work, the girl feels very flat because it feels as though she's being lit from the front
  • chico
    Offline / Send Message
    chico polycounter lvl 17
    me likes your uriel a lot - now, make it happen Dave plz:)

chico
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Haha. He has a halo?

Both look cool!
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    techified = ruined frown.gif
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    he needs to look purty frown.gif
  • Timex
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    uriel looks tasty! smile.gif
  • Delaney King
    Offline / Send Message
    And the award for best use of English language goes to.... Toomas.
    I couldnt see what he was dribbling on about for a while then I realised he thinks uriel is reaching forward to flip the bird like this...[gestures to Toomas to indicate]. In which case, yes it would be impossible to do that, yes. Actually uriel is reaching backwards into scene and forming a claw. Easy mistake for someone used to people gesturing at him like this... [indicates finger to Toomas again].

Remind me to idiot proof the picture at some stage.

Thanks for the crits and feedback guys! Good to get a fresh pair of eyes. Does someone wanna model Uriel or shall I tinker with him later on?

Yeah that halo is tinsel with barbed wire. Would adding a little dolly of Major be too much smile.gif
  • Delaney King
    Offline / Send Message
    oh and the F£$%ing finger is called the 'middle' finger. In case you where wondering.

Hey toomas... its this one [gestures]. smile.gif
  • [MILES]
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Great stuff man. (Especially Uriel)
    As for the comment Toomas made:

"the finger is pointing up while other fingers are in grasping pose, it's not just possible - atleast with human hand. Try it if you dont belive me..."

I took the challenge and can easily make that gesture with little or no effort. Now if for some reason Toomas thought the fingers might have been bending backwards (a person would have to be double jointed or something to pull it off) I actually know a person who can do just that. I suppose this really needs no justification however, since Uriel is not human to begin with. Hence...it doesn't have to be humanly possible.

I think the value of the critique was lost by identifying the "middle" finger in a rather rude way. Perhaps Toomas' intentions were good, but simply clothed in profanity.

Again, great stuff KOfD!
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Dave, although Toomas did phrase it in an unnecessarily vulgar way (language barrier maybe), I think the crit he was trying to make is correct... I did a quick paintover, I think this makes the hand seem a little less blobby, and the finger position is in a more obvious and natural "grabbing" state.
    It's definitely a difficult angle to accurately foreshorten and position from though. I think the lack of obvious foreshortening was what was making the fingers look weird.

urielpaint.jpg
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    very nice concepts dave.
    I'm not "too" fan of the girl, but I'm sure that if you model her, she'll look way better.

your uriel also look really good, I hope you will model it and release it for some q4 frenzy, polycount has been lacking big community moves on a game for too long ( last one was ut2k4 I guess )
  • Toomas
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry if such a harmless word pissed someone off.

Anyways my point was that while your hand is in grasping position it is very difficult to hold the middle finger up.
    Now if the hand is in a fist it is not a problem atall.
    Atleast for me it seems that he has his hand in semi grasping position and hes middle finger is rather high (judging by the position and angle of the last segment of the finger and the claw).
    If you change it to something similar that MoP shows in hes paintover it would be much more harmonic imho.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    toomas I think you should get your hand checked out its easy tongue.gif. does look a bit odd
  • Delaney King
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a version of ally without the sneer and got really good comments... its funny, perhaps its because we are used to seeing beauty in a passive or encouraging pose... Having a cute girl sneer just doesnt work really well.

Thanks for the paint over. Perhaps if I drop a gun in that hand he will read better?

I would love to model him but not sure if I have the time at the moment and I know I cant run q4 on my laptop to get him into the engine. hmmmm.

No worries toomas!