Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

B&W comic pages

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
Threw this together in Silo...took me a few hours. I'm using it as a 3D base to sketch over, since I'm bad at perspectives. It's for an alternate reality WW2 short comic I am working on.

Don't bother asking about the poly count and topology because frankly they both suck... tongue.gif

oldsmobile.jpg

Replies

• Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    El friggin sweet-o! I know what you mean about the perspective, something I'm struggling with at the moment. Car looks kickass, I just wish it had more...oldsmobile and less hovercar.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    ok, now that deserves a texture!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Where are the massive future fins?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond: I tried working in the future fins but took them out in the end. Maybe it was monitor blindness, but I couldn't find that right size and shape that looked good on the car.

A couple of WIP pages with the model dropped in, and a frame I just wanted to show!

Deception-1.jpg

Deception-2.jpg

Deception-3.jpg
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you have something cool going on here. Though just wanted to point out, that in the 4th frame of the comic, the guy no longer has a cigarette in his mouth. But in the 5th ,it's back.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    The 180 flip between 3 and 4 threw me a bit, yeah keeping the cig might help. I really like the sequence Snowfly, it pulled me in immediately. Now I'm darn curious about the story.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great! The perspectives are original and you did a good job catching certain moods.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the 180 flip is known as 'crossing the line' in film directing, and is generally avoided like the plague as it makes people look like they're suddenly travelling in the oposite direction, unless you cut to a wider angle first that clearly shows which way theyre going from a fairly neutral standpoint.

I really love the art though very intriguing- my only crit would be I thought at first in panel 5 the guys finger was going through his cheek, which made me double check if it was still his hand and it kind of distracted from the flow. Great overall mind!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, it's great to see the comics 'read' well, minus that "crossing the line" thing. But I laid it out that way for storytelling purposes (they talk from left to right).

Here's the 3D car painted into a scene...
    Deception-4.jpg

...the Bonobo Army breaking in.
    Deception-5.jpg

Deception-6.jpg

...and a tragedy.
    Deception-7.jpg
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Great stuff Snowfly. Have you checked out the cars in Frank Miller/Geof Darrow's 'Hard Boiled'?? They've got the same kinda retro vibe goin' on, also a comic called 'Mr X' has retro-flying cars. Comics heh, a mis-spent youth...
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    You know bonobo females have a penis like apendage so they can have sex with other females? When I read "Bonobo Army" I thought "lesbian amazons". I hope I was right.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, ninjas. I thought Bonobo was a type of chimpanzee.

I like everything but the close-up of the gas-mask. Something just looks off about it.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, they are. The cool thing is that bonobos can understand grammar, unlike any other animal that we know of.

[edit]
    Sorry to derail the thread. I think the pages look great! The girl's neck in the last panel looks way dislocated. Other than that, fine stuff.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Bonobos are hysterical. Yeah, their whole social structure is based on humping, constant crazed humping. Too bad more zoos don't have them on display.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a couple more. I did these on a Celeron 1.7 with 128 MB of RAM on an ancient 21" monitor, in Open Canvas and Photoshop 7. It was a bitch.

Oh and thanks for the wonderful discussion on Bonobos. Ya A-holes! tongue.giftongue.gif

Deception-9.jpg
    Deception-8.jpg