Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ramesses Model

HAWK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HAWK polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys,

I need some opinions on the texture...does it look ok?

Ramesses01.jpg

Replies

• Shady-D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shady-D polycounter lvl 17
    yeah looks pretty cool.. kinda dull colors at his lips?
  • HAWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK polycounter lvl 18
    yeah your right...bollox...i'll add a bit more red in there...
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you're off to a pretty good start. It would help to see a flat. He could use some blemishes and a little roughness added to his skin. Some of the shadowing around his nose could be blended in better. It still looks like quick drawn brush strokes.
  • HAWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK polycounter lvl 18
    heres the flats

TextureMapWIP.jpg

I am not that great at making blemishes and roughness to teh skin...would love top hear some suggestions...thanks
  • HAWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK polycounter lvl 18
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Great job on the skin so far.
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Looking pretty sweet.
    I would revisit the area where the nose meets the brow, shading looks a bit off.
  • Shady-D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shady-D polycounter lvl 17
    hmmm looks good his nose looks like this | | though
    try to get it like this instead ) (
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, but the highlight on his eyes looks odd.
    The highlight should be on the same side of each eye (ie, on the upper left of each), rather than opposite sides.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    ^^^^It's because everything was mirrored. wink.gif

Looking better on the skin. To roughen up the skin a bit try picking a light color and using one of the speckly brushes in Photoshop (if you're using photoshop). Make a new layer and paint a whole bunch of speckles over the face and use slightly varying tones. Then play with blending mode of the layer to get it to blend well with the face.

You also need to fix the gray seam running down the middle of your texture from when you mirrored the face.
  • HAWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ^^^^It's because everything was mirrored. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah...i am such a doofus...hehe...anyway, heres another quickish update..still need to do more i think...anyway, need to get some dinner, and will probably get back to it on sat evening since i'll be working this weekend.

update01.jpg
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work.

I would look at the eye placement. Take a look in the mirror and see where your upper lid sits in relation to your pupils. also check thedistance between the eyes 2.

smile.gif

As for the texture, how about lifting the skin shadows from brown to feature a little red and yellow... light passes through the skin and bounces... so you get a little halo around the shadows. Check subsurface scattering in google and you may find a good explaination of this.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    can we see a three-quarter face render? Looks pretty good in the front view, but looking at the texture flat and the apparent polycount, it'd be interesting to see it at an angle ...
  • HAWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK polycounter lvl 18
    @ King of Daveness:

I’ll play around with the eyes a bit more. in regards to adding reds and yellows…well I have been doing that…but I am worried about over doing it because it ends up looking a little sun burnt. Not sure if it is not that obvious because of the render or something? But I have been adding a variation of other colours too…hmmmm.

@danr:

I would prefer not to show you a shot from an angle because I wish to avoid anymore mistakes being pointed out....hahaha.....ok, maybe this shot should be ok

sideshot01.jpg

ok ok keep your hair on

sideshot02.jpg

please be nice....na, go ahead and rip me to bits....im fucking used to being told I am a loser! hehehe
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Well to start, stop pre bashing yourself. No one here is going to tear you apart, just your model (for your own good of course!).

To start with could you post a wireframe shot of your model (front, back, side) with a flat texture? That would go a long way toward helping us crit your model. As for the skin I would suggest easing up on the hard line between the highlight on the bridge of the nose and the dark slopes of it's sides. Currently it's so dark to appear almost recessive.

A good start though, keep working on it!
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad, keep going. My only crit is that he looks less Egyptian than European.

-- I think it is really common for people to forget that Egypt is in Africa. Especially if you watch the old CHeston 10 Commandments movie every year.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think the eyes are either too small, or too far apart.. or maybe a little of both.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    The skin tone definitely needs to be more bronze.
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Valandar, the skin looks like that of an average white guy and Ramesses was an Egyptian which I guess would mean a more tanned looking skin.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    From what I can determine, the Egyptians of the time period looked very much like modern Palestinians, but with even darker skin - nearly as dark as an Ethiopian or Nigerian, though not quite. They also had very straight hair, but that won't affect this model. laugh.gif
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    More eyeball bashing! blush.gif
    The eyes are looking a bit too bright and two-dimensional at the moment.
    Try adding a band of darker "shadow" on the eyeball, below the upper eyelid.

Great progess so far, though... smile.gif
  • HAWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK polycounter lvl 18
    Quick update...have been busy this weekend working, so have had not much time. Still lots to do on the model. Hope it looks ok...I know it needs more work…just finding time to get round to doing it. Juggling two jobs and doing my 3D work isn’t easy...anyway, enough of the crapsob story...crit away!

headshot01.jpg

RamessesBodyPose.jpg
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    try and tone down the white in the eyes around 50 RGB
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Nice job so far but he looks like George W. Bush -10 points for that