Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Nexuiz 1.5

Vermeulen
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
I recently released version 1.5 of Nexuiz with my team. Its a massive improvement on past versions, mainly with bots/sounds/menu/speed.

Anyway, I hoping to post here asking for some really harsh criticism, or what was liked and why they liked it.

http://www.nexuiz.com/index.php?module=downloads
You can download it here, 179mb. I'd suggest trying the instant action button on the bottom of the menu, that way you can get the best impression of the bots. Since the patch was recently released there should be a few good games online also.
Any helpful criticism would be good

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    this is really really polished laugh.gif

gj
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I can finally enjoy the game since it doesn't lag that bad anylonger.

But you really need to move more stuff client side, especially the muzzel flashes of the machinegun looks horrible (beeing lagged since it is calculated serverside) for example.

Otherwise there isn't that much to critizise that need to be fixed badly. The game works and is fun. But it is of course still a long way to reach the overall quality of a recent retail title... but it is all evolutionary and not revolutionary.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Vermeulen nice job. I just played and got all warm and fuzzy when I saw my grenade launcher in there. I thought the level I played was a bit dark, but maybe that's just me. If you need help with any other gun let me know.

Alex
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    What I don't like is how hard it is to see other players. Either they're just black silhouettes or they're the same brownish color as the environment. Hit feedback absolutely isn't there, with the crylar I only know that I hit things because the bullets don't reach the wall behind the enemy. Could use that hit bloop Q3A uses or at least some blood that appears when you hit something. The way it is now it feels more like the enemy just went pop rather than feeling like you shot him.
  • Isis' Minion
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I can finally enjoy the game since it doesn't lag that bad anylonger.

But you really need to move more stuff client side, especially the muzzel flashes of the machinegun looks horrible (beeing lagged since it is calculated serverside) for example.

Otherwise there isn't that much to critizise that need to be fixed badly. The game works and is fun. But it is of course still a long way to reach the overall quality of a recent retail title... but it is all evolutionary and not revolutionary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Quite nice though and a big improvement over the previous version...
  • Vermeulen
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    The next version should have a lot more client side effects, like the muzzle flash. We added client side gamecode before 1.5, but we haven't used it yet.

One thing to solve the player visiblity is to set fullbright players in the server creation menu.
  • Downsizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    runs too fast to play on my machine, sorry.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I wonder how old Wazat is taking all this. He's been sort of distanced after the project died halfway and revived.
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    He's done gamemodes and he's working on Team Nexuiz (which is still going) i believe