Home Technical Talk

Newbie questions for zBrush 2.0

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
So I started doodling on a sphere, then saved teh document as a .zbr file. I come back a day later wanting to work on it some more, open up the file, my previous work is right there on the viewport, but how the hell do I select the mesh so I can sculpt it again?

(I know, this is probably a dumb question and I am totally missing the tool, but I thank anyone who can answer this._

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Er, for 3d meshes, you have to save the tool as a .ZTL file. It doesn't save the 3d mesh if you just save the document - you have to save the 3d model from the Tool palette (the Save Tool As button, should be just above the Export/Import buttons).
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    I wish they would acknowledge what their program is used for and dump all that stupid "2.5d painting" bull. The worst though, I think, is the workflow for adding an edge loop-- boggles the mind.

Oh, sorry, this isn't a zbrush bashing thread? Being a little pre-emptive here. My bad ¬_¬
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Ahhh it certainly seemed like my .zbr file was only 2d...thanks!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Asthane : I more or less agree.

It is true that some workflows are pretty much insane especially when it comes to poly editing. Yet, if you'd drop the 2.5 engine/core you wouldn't have projection master anymore... amongst other things.

Let us see the next version tho!
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    ZB will be dead as soon as some decent competeing product gets released, the interface is just STUPID and counterproductive. I have tried to use it and all the time i get frustrated because the interface fights back.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    the interface makes a lot more sense when you treat zbrush as a painting app rather than a modelling app. they should rip-off photoshop and be done with it
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    pior: Indeed, I shouldn't say cut, all that's really needed is a... refocusing. A very significant one in many cases, but I do doubt Silo's displacement painting will match Projection Master's functionallity any time soon. Zbrush does do a lot right (and... a lot wrong), I don't think it'll die as long as it's handled semi-intelligently in the future.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    After having a pixologic representative here at the office, I think a few things were made clear.

Their program was a novelty until sculptors got a hold of it. Now most likely 90% plus of the people who have actually given them money for their program, are people using it to sculpt with. Yet they won't just start focusing on the sculpting aspects. They continue to push it in the direction of a full out art creation product, when no one uses it as such except some of the beginners on their forum.

I think as soon as Mudbox becomes available it's going to destroy them, because it's made by sculptors, for sculptors, with no grandiose plans to become anything other than a sculpting tool.

poop.gif
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    so mudbox, is that the weta-inhouse thing? google doesn't find much otherwise. inhouse software can be terrible though, geared towards only one way of working, one pipeline, without much user input from anyone outside the corp, no field testing, a pile of well known but unfixed bugs, ah well... level editors anyone? wink.gif

i mean look at digital domain/d2 software's nuke. what a terrible interface/workflow, and that's a 10 - 15 year old mature tool with several years of public distribution already. can't hold a candle to shake in terms of workflow imho. shake has been in the field for a long time and it shows.
    drawing conclusions from that, i better dig deep any great hopes for the superiority of mudbox in the first public releases then wink.gif

zbrush needs to be opened up: make the API available to interested coders, give that damn thing a plugin for the 3dconnexion spacemouse.

oh and i really hope no one tries to incorporate this kind of sculpting into one of the major 3d apps. these are already un-intuitive, slow and overloaded with stuff. all of them.

edit: has weta made public any plans to distribute their software at all?
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    mudbox isnt being made by Weta, its being made by former Weta staff.. I forgot the details but a guy in my office is on the beta for it. I'll ask him about it tomorrow if people are interested
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...=true#Post85856

thomasp: Its being developed as a commercial app. intended for release.

Definitely Tim.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    ok I spoke to my friend who is on the beta of mudbox.. unfortunately he is NDA'd up.. However;
    It is being developed by 3 people, 1 a former programmer for Weta, the other two who still work for Weta. It is being used by Weta atm and a select Beta group and will eventually go public. We should be getting the beta here at work soon laugh.gif so maybe I can elaborate on a few things.. maybe wink.gif
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    I agree totally with the comment that as soon as someone releases a tool with a straightforward interface z brush is dead in the water. The workflow is ridiculous, the buttons are oddly named and spread across the interface and it just doesnt need to be so.
    I would also argue that projection master is a blight on the product as well. Gimme texture stamping, slight lines and texturing in the 3d window anyday.

I just want a product I can open a model, subdiv it, paint in details, paint texture, bump and spec whilst looking at it in real time and then output all the parts. Ideally the product should be able to open multiple meshes and allow you to switch back and forth with that hideous 'marker' system. A child should be able to use it but nooooooooo.

Remember I was demoing claytools? you can learn that whole interface in a few hours. Whats the big problem?