Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Polycount - Generals - [mr.damage]

mr.damage
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
mr.damage polycounter lvl 18
Go Polycount!
(Unlikely to finish this, but...)

I like the idea of a general that moves around battle on a hovering platform.

- Loyal troops have their heads graffed to mechanical bodies at three points of the platform. They're there to give feedback to the general and to provide protection by way of gunfire, etc.
- The outer ring of the platform revolves around the general (the direction that the general is facing, is always forward). If one of the heads is killed, then the remaining two heads can revolve around to better protect the general. This revolving also serves as a way for one of the heads to 'fall back' and reload if low on ammo, etc.

And a dirty sketch showing where I might be headed.
general01.jpg

cheers.

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I really like your idea. A general maneuvering a floating platform, positioning loyal troops is great. But I think your concept could use some sharpening. It's too basic and unappealing. Ask yourself, would it be cooler if the platform and the general were somehow connected? Perhaps the lower half of the general has been mechanically enhanced to be used as transport. With extensions of him that rotate around holding troops. Possibly small alien troops at mounted guns. If that's not what you're after, nevermind. Either way, good luck to you.
  • mr.damage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.damage polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the feedback ElysiumGX.

Funny you should make those suggestions, as I thought about the same/simliar things. In the end, I liked the idea of the general being independant of the platform, ie he is not bound to it, he is 'more than' the platform.

I decided against the alien (or human) gunners, as troops who would (willingly?) sacrifice their bodies and be graffed to the platform to server the general shows true loyality.

(I considered putting him in a chair/thorne, but it's more imposing if he is standing).

Image updated.

general2.jpg

- the points at the top of the platform will end up being lights. It looks more erie with the lightsource coming from below and makes the general a beacon in battle... althought this makes it easier for the enemy to target him.
    - undecided whether the heads on the platform will hold weapons above or below their heads.
    - platform reminds me of the probe things in starwars so may need to redesign.
    - eye patch and cigar is bit of a cop out so may think about this more.

cheers.