Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New website Design

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
I totally forgot to post this when I finished it, but I figured now's a good time.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com

I redid the entire site. Previously was tables, a poor menu for navigation, and was made for 800x600. This new layout is all CSS, 1024x768, and I tried to put as much thought as possible into ease of use and the layout for maximum usability. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Loads faster too now that it's using CSS.

I'd appreciate any comments, feedback, blind praise, or harsh critiques you might have. 8-)

poop.gif

Replies

• swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I like it... im not going to rip anything apart. The 3d section is a great layout. You can see everything. No hunting for whats what.
  • HumbleEgo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HumbleEgo polycounter lvl 18
    Definately loads alot quicker and the style and layout work well.

My one crit would be the thumbnails on the news section. A few of them are cropped strangely when coupled with the transparency.
    2005_11_08.gif
    2005_05_04.gif
    2005_11_22.gif

Rather than feeling cropped, they feel cut off. I'd suggest in these cases where the figure doesn't fit comfortably (like the typical humans) that you crop closer in so the bottom and at least 1 side are filled right to the edge. A bit like so:

poop_crop.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hey, it's looking great! Could use a nicer url tho. wink.gif Just kidding man.

Seems the email link's busted? Not working in Firefox, maybe since I have popups disabled? All it does is open a 2nd window of the same page.

The 3D page is a little confusing, since the menu is on the left, but everything else is right-justified. My eyes go right to the character shots on the left, but then get kind of lost on the right. I see the composition idea, but it's beating me over the head a bit. It does make it not so heavy on the left side though. Same thing with the resume page, makes it hard to read. Links page works though. Tutorial page is great too.

Looking good. How're those tutorials coming along?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Aw shucks, you say such nice things about people on your links page! smile.gif I like it mate, Clean, easy to navigate. I *really* like the idea of the little images of the shipped titles on your resume page ( might even steal it from ya ;-0 ) It somehow manages to look professional and remind us that we make videogames all at the same time. Thanks for the css tut link on the other thread. How long did it take you to get up and running? I need to do a website but have no skillz.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric my current tutorials are videos of my general. You can find the first one in it's unedited form in the thread, but the rest will hold off till I get back from Europe and GDC and have time to edit and add audio. Also, I hear you on the layout, but my thinking about justifying it right is that will let your brain leave it there till you go searching for it, so that way it doesn't clutter up the navigational aids on the left. That was my thinking anyway.

Daz, I think I spent about three or so hours researching CSS till I *got* the premise of the whole thing and how you would use it. After that the majority of time was just spent on actual web design, with sporadic F1 searches through the dreamweaver help files to figure out specific aspects. All in all I'd say it got faster than regular HTML towards the end when I had all my classes defined. It took longer to make the thumbs and UI elements than it did to do the actual CSS. I like that in dreamweaver you can define classes without any coding whatsoever, and have access to all the class rules with an easy editor panel.

And all the stuff on my links page is true and you know it. 8-)

poop.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "an old british guy"

for sure! ;-p
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Update looks good. I like the classic look of the site.

The thumbnail images on the left of the news posts come off rather dull and blurring with the background except for the green eye. I actually couldn't see them on my monitor during the daytime (it gets pretty bright in here), so I had to come back at night to look. If they were higher contrast, it might help. HumbleEgo's suggestion about re-cropping is good too.

Some of your links in Slegion go to wrong images or thumbnails not sure here?

The tutors section is huge. How's the book coming along? wink.gif
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good. How come the Gun NPC's thumbnails don't link to larger versions of the images?
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    The main news page seems fucked.. not in appearence but you can't highlight words. It selects loads then goes all weird - I highlight as I read... easier for me to follow.

Overall though nice design and it seems more fun that it really is laugh.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That works for me, Thnom, maybe you've got a conflicting Greasemonkey script or something?
    i've allready said it, but i like it, ben.
    The menu's a lot better now, and i really like the 3d page.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    like it!

only thing i can see atm

dont!! make text-align right...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good. The only things I noticed are, your email button doesn't work (on the menu), and the pictures page needs to be updated to match the new look. At least change the background to match the new layout smile.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Website is greatly improved man. The tutorials section is loads better. Still not 100% sold on the font though. Also your links page sucks. Environment people never get Poop lovin. frown.gif

bannersm.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cholden and Humblego: Fixed the Slegion thumbs, thanks on that. I'll look at the news images to try to make them read better. I'm gonna think about the cropping, or possibly outlining them.

Hollowmind: They will be back up eventually. For now Activision doesn't want any competing images for their marketing campaign.

Thnom: You poofy wanker, it's more fun than you'll ever be. I don't know why the text highlighting doesn't work for you, it works fine for me.

Notman: Fixed the email link, and changed over the pictures intro page. That's going to be the single most difficult page to rotate over, because I don't want to use Adobe Photo Galleries anymore, and I don't know an easy solution for setting up all those thumbnails and large images. I'll think of something or find a script, but it's going to have to wait till after the comp, my eurotrip, and GDC. So late March or early February at the earliest.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. And Jeffro, if you work really hard, and believe that you can be a real boy, one day you will.

poop.gif
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    No crits from me Ben smile.gif Great website and the racoon drawing is pure genious
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    While I don't like all of your work (more what I thinks looks nice not any technical reason) the presentation is clear and very accessible.

It's good of you to host those tutorials on your serverspace, I don't know many beginners I have pointed to your site (myself included) over the years, so seeing this content still given anyway freely is great.
    You got a couple of broken links in the tutorials section:

Wrong mail address, (radiantwings@hotmail.com):
    Gradient Maps in Photoshop
    Using Masks in Photoshop
    Normal Map Workflow

News link broke:
    Low Polygon Hair Texturing
    Texturing Theory
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, Cubik, I checked all those links you mentioned and they work fine for me, email included. Maybe my site went down right when you were trying? I dunno. Thanks for checking it though.

poop.gif
  • Shady-D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shady-D polycounter lvl 17
    Btw i think you forgot to put up your low poly modelling series: Modelling the head
    tutorial.. i still happen to have it incase you lost it
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Good stuff, Ben!
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    It pains me to say this (Vive La Resistance!!) but it might be worth posting your vid tutes to FileFront.com or similar instead of self hosting them (I usually use PCGameMods but that's more of a game specific file host), might be the only way to cost effectively do it and not keep running out of bandwidth every month.