Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hedhunta polycounter lvl 18
    edited out.. gonna try somethin else.
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope to come up with some kind of ground based fighting platform that he can kind of "dock" with.. couldnt figure it out at 3am so ill come up with it later.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    the docking idea sounds very cool, i'm interested to see what you come up with!
    maybe work out some way to do panels on the craft's cockpit so the lines look like they make up an angry face or something, also I'd recommend adding something that looks like futuristic jet engines or something like that.
    keep it up smile.gif
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updated the picture... trying to go for some kind of hawklike legs with talons or something.. idk.. but i did refine the features and shape some.
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hrm.. well after looking at some of the awesome concepts around here.. maybe ill just save this guy for later and come up with something more humanoid looking..
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    exploring some new options.. spent the last 3 days retraining myself how to draw with a wacom.. i think its coming back..

masked.jpg

right now, i need help with direction.. i can block out the standard "trenchcoat gasmask" dude really easy but i have problems making him come alive and not look so generic..

[edit] hehehe, hes now polycount powered..
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update.. blocked out some legs and a hand.. oh and cant forget his stompin' boots.

masked2.jpg
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War on Nanthar III
    Shortly before the Federation began to crumble in 2906, Nanthar III was a peaceful, beautiful planet inhabited by many races, religions and peoples. Despite such diversity, the planet seemed to thrive against all odds. Even when war first broke out in the Federation Nanthar III seemed to have a sanctuary like appeal to it, as thousands that wanted nothing to do with the war flocked to it. Noone really knows what happend. Rumors spread around 2950 that a stray tactical nuke had fallen, others say a starship crashed and went critical. Either way, Nanthar III became the exact opposite of what it had once been. 100 years later all that is left of a once lush environment is a barren nuclear wasteland.

Resource Wars
    Despite being halfway destroyed early in the 30th century, the inhabitants that survived attempted to cope and deal with the nuclear fallout. They erected massive forcefields to contain the fallout and the planet went back to a peaceful state for a few years. Unfortunately, the "accident" as it became to be called, exposed the reason that planet had held itself together so well. Rich deposits and even liquid pools of rich Threedeenium had formed in the wastezones erected by Nanthar III. It seemed the ancestors of Nanthar III knew what they had after all.

However, it wouldn't be long before the war in the federation would discover this, and 6 months later the planet recieved several more hits from nuclear tipped STSC Missiles (Space To Surface Cruise)
    as the CEEGEE Chattians descended upon the planet.

For a while, it appeared that the inhabitants of Nanthar III had all but vanished. For most societies, such a devastating nuclear strike would have done just that. Fortunately, a select group of warriors codenamed "Natar" (meaning, of all things "child" for reasons unknown to this day) survived. While there are only a handful of them, they employ various geurilla tactics and have been extremely successful at disrupting the further destruction of their planet.

Peace?
    While the rest of the Universe sees peace, the Natar warriors fight on. The small band of warriors was not enough to entirely repel their invaders, even once the war ended, the CGC maintained a presence on Nanthar III in order to strip the planet of its vast resources. Their numbers dwindling further every year, the Natar begin to learn of their innate power to control Threedeenium. They learn they can shape it into weapons and use it to make themselves more powerful. It seems the radiation combined with the volatility of the element has given the Natar the edge they need. Realising this, and sensing a new war coming as the CGC ramps up mining operations in all sectors(the year is now 2999) their leader, only know by his call-sign "Critical" sets out to make an alliance with someone powerful enough to free Nanthar III from CGC control.

Polycountian Alliance
    "Critical" travelled to the nearest star-system seeking a powerful alliance. As he travelled he realised how weak and powerless most of the factions were until he stumbled upon the planet Polycount II. Here it seemed, despite being ferocious, almost evil fighters, the Polycountians appeared to largely be coordinated, and better,- well funded. "Critical" found his way to the PCA governmental building, if you can even call it that, as the PCA operates as a loose anarchy with the only cooperation actually being the Generals of each united army. Critical met with PCA leaders and found himself very much at home in the alliance.

They told him to prepare for war.

"Critical" is a nuclear powered ass kicking machine. With the PCA backing him and his fellow Natar, this General is out to spread radiation and death wherever he goes. His band of soldiers is the last of a once paradise-lost, and they will not stop until the CGC is forever destroyed.
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay another update! got one leg halfway done..

masked3.jpg

not to sound needy, but ive got no comments, does this just suck.. is it not cool? thanks
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Critical" is a nuclear powered ass kicking machine. With the PCA backing him and his fellow Natar, this General is out to spread radiation and death wherever he goes. His band of soldiers is the last of a once paradise-lost, and they will not stop until the CGC is forever destroyed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I can't really see the nuclear-powered bit. He got some green glow but no argumentation of any kind. A couple of ideas:

-Starved ghoulish man, heavily cyberd up in parts, and green and diseased in others. Replace his heart with a pump like a camerashutter opening and closing, pulsing green. Keep the mask, but fuse it in his flesh. You also need to show cancer eating at him due to his not complete coping with the nuclear fallout. Or glassish, harderd flesh ozing pus, crackling and being generally unpleasant.
    He needs more way spread nuclear destruction. A suicide bomb could be one solution. Gasnozzles capable of emitting highly radioactive gas built into his arms could be other. Look into the extremly short fallout grenades that the Americans were accused of using in Serbia.

- If you want keep the current design, close it off more, made the suit snugger to keep his own radiation out. More filters outside the suit to recycle the air and expulse his own radioactive blood. Equip him with something (highsyringe plugged into the suit maybe) to draw blood from enemies (or possible soldiers on his own side willing to help him) to replentish his own and keep it somewhat pure.
    Batter him up is places, show that he is guerilla and after vengeance.
    Give him some trophies from killed enemies. Eyes, ears, gallbladders (hmm), you get the gist of it.
    Make his equipment look used but functional.
    Headband, armband, more clear insignia. He is proud of those he now helps.
    Will add more later when I can think up some suitable weapons.
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ..took a shot at making him more worn and sealed up.. created a sort of hood that the mask is imbedded in and will try to make it look like its attached to the coat(sort of an, almost one peice thing) notched the shoulder strap and added a staple holding the two peices from tearing completely.. also added wrinkles and such into the coat.. am i headed in the right direction?

i guess hes not so much "nuclear powered" or deformed, but he has the ability to control the inherent nuclear elements if you know what i mean, theyve weathered the radiation and such on the planet and come out relatively unscathed, it only brought about their latent powers to control it.. i AM liking some sort of wrist mounted radiation launcher though.. maybe even a nuclear tipped rocket launcher strapped to his back?

masked4.jpg
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    threw together a look from behind him, not entirely happy with the way the head turned out.. will work on it more

back.jpg
  • Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    The drawing looks kind of dumpy, but nothin' that can't be worked with. Major things I could mention would be to try drawing his head in a 3/4th view. Need a better idea of the details of the head in a more 3D style. The mask is cool, but I'd like to see the goggles looking a bit less like eyeglasses.

Try doing the green/black thing again somewhere else on the body, as having a dark head with a drab body is a little unbalanced. Play with the width of the sleeves/legs versus the widths of the boots/gloves. Right now the sleeve to glove transition is kind of boring because the widths don't change much. Erm...do 'more' with the kneepads, and with the chestpiece, make the two panels the same size or give them a much greater contrast in width (right now they're all semi-close in size and next to eachother, so it's just sort of awkward.)

That's all I could really think of. It's cool so far and could really go somewhere! The coloring is pretty good, too, so keep at it!

(My first post on PolyCount. Goooo me.)

Edit: Ahh, nice backview. Think I like it better with the hood down, though. New tips...yeah, try that head thing again. Maybe experiment some with the backpack and how it's attached?
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more tweaking, beginning to add some features.. maybe some built in body armor? idk

masked5.jpg
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made a start on his head.. i think the details are going to flesh themselves out as i model him.. i can always hit the concept and do modifications as im working.. but my base character is set.. i know hes boring at the moment.. but since this will be the first time ive ever been motivated enough to finish one of these id be perfectly happy with that.. just finishing.. i know i have about zero chance of winning.. but this is fun!

keep the suggestions coming however! they really help me and im sure others like me that have never completed a player model due to lack of motivation

critical1.jpg
    critical2.jpg
  • Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    I think you're right about the details fleshing themselves out in modelling. The eyes you've modelled look really good, good choice in translating the concept so far. I guess the only thing I could suggest in this vein would be to make the side panel look a little more deliberate somehow. (It sorta looks thrown on at the moment, no offense.) Ideally you could turn it into a whole stomach-wrap thing, or make it cover half of his chest. In any case, though, it looks cool so far!
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i kinda like the idea of giving him some cyber elements, and even the shutter type heart pump being exposed would be kinda neat, indeed it is thrown on cause i didnt at all have any idea where i was going with it..
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started modelling, have no idea if ill even come close to finishing this.. but hey its fun to try..

just auto-smoothed to give a general look of it, its coming along, but im wasting a tonne of polys atm. if i even remotely knew how to work in zbrush id do some nice hip normal maps for his coat, but for now this is all i got:

critical3.jpg
    critical4.jpg
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coming along.. arms are just started so ignore them

critical5.jpg
    critical6.jpg
    critical7.jpg