Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Polycount - Generals - [Valandar]

Replies

• JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    I think without, maybe try making the stripes a darker green and much more subtle. So it's alot less contrasting.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the desert theme better too
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    So basically use the colors of the version with the chips and such on the new skin?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here's the "Desert Camo" version, with and without stripes, on the new version of my skin:

concept2desert.jpg

concept2desertstripe.jpg

So that makes four recolors to choose from... note I turned the stripes green on the "desert" version...

Also, should I "muddy up" the feet and lower legs of the new version, or leave it "pristine" ?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    put sand in all the little nooks and crannies, and make everything scratched and sanded down by the constand sand-storms [if you're going with the desert camo]. Bottom version is my favorite.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    err, I don't think sand and slugs go too well together. Though I guess it could be some alien slug that doesn't dissolve when exposed to salt.

just something to think about.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Jdinges, thats why the slug has the giant suit on.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then again, who says it's "Desert" camo? Might be the color of fall leaves where he comes from, yellow instead of red o orange. laugh.gif
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yet another version, this one 'dirtied up a bit'. On a suggestion I decided to see how it looks with purple on the console text and for the glowy bit on the front of the EW dish...

concept215.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I've gone as far as I can go with General Mollus Lug here:

concept216.jpg

So I've decided to try my hand at Snowfly's abandoned concept:

quadtest03.jpg

I'm probably going to add some sort of cannon to the left hand to 'balance him out'... right now he's sitting at about 4100 tris.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Can we get a peek at this new guy's wireframe? He's looking a little blocky to be at 4100... Also, I rather liked the one-armed concept.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I had thought the other arm had been removed for clarity. I'm working on 'tweaking' him right now, so the wires will come in a little while.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here's the wires - still tweaking, btw.

Think I should completely remove the left arm, or perhaps replace the left forearm with some kind of gun? I'm not so sure about COMPLETELY removing it, as it looks unbalanced and incomplete like that...

quadtestwires.jpg
  • Dei'
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dei' polycounter lvl 17
    Worry yourself not about matters of symmetry or balance! Ask yourself, "Is it infinitely more awesome presented symmetrically, or asymmetrically?"

In this case, I this asymmetrical is the way to go, though it is still up to ye. Honestly, just finish the damn thing. It's too damn cool not to finish.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff, you work very quickly.

The poly distribution could use a little work, maybe. It seems odd that the shoulderpads have more geometry than the legs.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the shoulderpads are more compact than the legs. Originally they had far fewer polys, but they looked INCREDIBLY angular.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, i tried adding various gun thingies to the left arm at the hand, at the elbow, and even at the shoulder, and it just didn't 'work'.

Here's a shot from the other side, getting a better look at the blade and its angled counterbalance - it's angled because otherwise it could never fully swing its weapon.

This is also the "Left Arm-less" version... It kinda works...

quadtest04.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since my system can't seem to handle normal mapping (I try using the DirectX shader in Max and it gives me errors and refuses to display the contents of the viewport windows), I decided to go with an old-fashioned bump map for this. This is the bump map's current state:

quadtest05.jpg

That's simple 3-point lighting with a single shadow-casting light, btw.

As for color - the original concept sketches were pretty dark. I was thinking of going with a look like wrought iron, thus the roughness of the bump. Any other suggestions?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    You're doing a third? I thought you quit to work on something else. Which I guess would make this your fourth. Oh well, looking good. Having a nice concept to work with helped tons.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technically, second and a third for this challenge - Half for the first one, all of the second one, and a little over half for this one.

The other figure wasn't intended for this challenge. laugh.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you're doing some brilliant work man but I cant help wonder what would happen if you focussed everything on one wink.gif
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe its just the render but watch out with the UV's. I noticed some jaggies on the gun. For a relatively small character, I don't think you should be having too many jaggies with a 1024 texture map.

Valandar_texjaggies.jpg

Totally agree with rooster. Channel all this energy into one character and really make it shine.
    Hope to see more from you.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, I can't do that, mainly because I've already done everything I know how. What more can I do when I don't know what else to do?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good, I know it's probably too late but I'd suggest some sort of reinforced boots or something to balance out those huge robotic arms coming over his shoulders, they make him look a bit too back-heavy.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Winning_pose.jpg
    So I did actually get this one done and entered.
    Just under the wire but its in for the finals. Talk about over estimating one's free time. Not sure if it stands a chance vs Mr. Rockstar and some of the other greats, but none the less Inquisitor Imperatus will be up for votes.
    Please excuse the dull background.
    Beauty Renders
    Flats

Top row
    Spec Power, Bump, spec color
    bottom row
    Alpha, Diffuse, Glow/self illum

edit: man looks like I need to work on my light setup some more. Damn laptop screen..
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You decided to enter your first attempt? Your worst one? I would give you an F for indecisiveness and lack of focus. Snowfly's concept stood a good chance. Next time, pick something, and apply some effort.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elysium: Please note that my first attempt was taken by Vailias to texture, and was turned into a joint effort. When I sent the SDK to Vailias, I started the second one, General Mollus Lugg.

My SECOND one is the one I ended up entering by myself.

Snowfly's concept was great, but I couldn't get the durn thing skinned to my atisfaction at ALL.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, both our names start with V.
    but still I hope the texture isn't as bad as your post sounds. I wound up not being able to spend as much time on it as I wanted but hell its not terrible.

also
    better face shot
    Face_large.jpg

and mostly fixed specular on the leather (too late though)
    Fixed_Spec.jpg
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't see the texture until you posted these. I was speaking of the whole concept. I think the other two, especially the third, were much better ideas, and better designed, in comparison. I mean this guy has like, a glowing sword, a visor, plus a buzz saw with a huge spike, and a giant claw sticking out of his back. I'm assuming more texture and geometry went into his attachments than the character himself. No offense to either of you. I'm just curious about this decision. Valandar designed 4 characters within the time of this challenge. One he says was not for this challenge, but probably would have fit the theme still.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I said before... I entered the second one. The slug in armor.

As for the geometry, err, nope. The back attachments are much less than 1k polys. Most of the polies are in the face and torso.

*sigh*

Never mind...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh oh oh...wait. I got it. You started the buzzsaw dude, then gave him to Vailias. You started the slug dude. Then you started Snowfly's guy. Then, Vailias entered the mechanical dude, but didn't have his own thread. And you actually submitted the slug guy. Sorry about that. One thread with 2 guys with similar names and half a dozen models gets confusing when I'm skimming through. Guess it's good two of these finished.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :chuckle:
    yeah now you got it. I knew I would likely not finish an entry if I had to do the whole thing, simply didn't have the time for that sort of thing so I just skinned and fixed up some of the geometry on this guy. I didn't put up its own thread,since the model is still Valander's. smile.gif