Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Let's do the Monster Mash

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Valandar polycounter lvl 18
Flush with the somewhat success of bringing my Alkyries model successfully into Q3, I decided to try my hand at a nice, giant robot... scaled down, if course.

And what better giant robot than the Mac II Monster from Macross?

Still working on the skin, with assistance from a buddy (named Synthos)...

monsterthumb.jpg

EDIT: The Q3 Rocket Launcher is there toshow where the weapon tag will be. I might end up shrinking the mesh even more, though this will make it rather short... Oh, and the head will be a closeup of a "pilot's" head, hidden inside the mech...

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, that's pretty cool... however I think you should reposition the weapon so that it looks more integrated with the robot - why not put it on one of the arms instead of the existing mesh, or something like that? Or are you gonna model a mounting point for it?

I guess it's not your design, but I don't really like those 4 big long tubes coming out the top of it... they just look really unweildy and pointless. If anything I'd make them about half their current length... but then I guess it wouldn't look like what it's meant to look like... ah well smile.gif

Keep it up!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, those "four big long tubes", in the original mech, are 16 inch battleship cannons... there's huge vents on the back to help compensate for recoil. laugh.gif The durn thing is supposed to be 22 meters tall and 285 metric tons. :P Quite a bit bigger than the "junior" version I'm making.

And I probably will end up modelling a mounting point for it...

BTW, here's a page with some nifty refpics of a model of the thing... scroll down to the pictures by "Fernando Feria"...

http://www.apc.net/mechworks/galonduty/index2.html
  • -DN-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -DN- polycounter lvl 18
    those cylinders do not need that many sides. period. I second MOP's idea of making the gun model blend in with the mesh so it doesnt look like a mech with a Q3 gun hovering in mid air above it.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would it be possible to hide the gun entirely within the mesh, and have the firing animation with "flares" coming out of the four gun barrels? I don't have much experience with Quake meshing...

And the guns have 12 sides - it looks like a lot more because I triangulated it... but, yeah, it doesn't need so many, I really should have reduced the polycount there.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    You can have a flare that's usually scaled to zero and becomes visible during the second frame of the firing animation (rapid fire weapons will loop only the first two frames of the firing animation).

And I think I've seen Battlemechs with similarily large autocannons (only one or two though) mounted on top so that's really nothing unusual.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, my buddy finished the primary skin... here's a pic of the Monster wearing it:

monsterskinthumb.jpg
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Cool dude, I love Robotech.