Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hello...

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
...long time no pimp. Been away and bloodybuggeryhell, it looks like I might have carpal tunnel ( it's probably not in my best interests to advertise that! ). More tests later this week frown.gif

Meantime, this is about version3 of my reel. So as you might be able to tell, I could use some critique on what to leave out and what to put in. I think perhaps Im trying to cram too much in here. It's at 2:26 mins which I think is bordering on long. Heck I might even throw half of this away and finish that King Henry model I started a while ago. But I'm allready concerned that there's little commercial work in here. I got a couple of timing issues that I need to fix here and there.

Im not aiming the reel at games companies, hence the lack of realtime models. I've got a little bit of time to tweak. Not tons, but a bit:

high res. 30 meg version

8 meg version

reel1.jpg

reel2.jpg

reel3.jpg

reel4.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Now that, sir, is what I call a fucking good showreel.
    I honestly can't fault it. Fantastic meshes, great presentation, lovely renders... gah, this is how it's supposed to be done.

Maybe now that you've had that advice on how to land an interview (or even two!!) you can actually get a job wink.gif

Edit: Wait, no, I can fault it! smile.gif Connery's hair looks a little plasticky on the turnaround... maybe reduce the spec tightness and brightness on his hair there? Not a big crit, but one worthy of attention to get from 99% to 100%, I think wink.gif
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that's some good stuff, but if you're looking to cut something out, I'd try removing the chunk showing off the WW2 soldier. Don't get me wrong, it's a great model, but I think starting with your orc character, then moving into your commercial Bond stuff would build up a lot momentum. Your orc is creative and then you show off your ability to capture likenesses with your Bond characters, Moff Tarkin, etc.

You also seem to be rushing things a bit at the end. Your 2D work is nice, and i would like to spend more time loking at your paintings, but they fly by so quickly. So maybe that's something you should put on an image portfolio online. It's always a big debate on whether you should add 2D to your reel, but I think your 3D is strong enough and clearly shows you have traditional skills. People will be interested and come looking for more on your website, most likely.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    ............you make me angry................
    ............very angry.......................

............did I mention that you are amazing?........
    ............and you make me angry..........................

If you havn't landed a job yet, I don't know what to say. Perhaps you aren't trying... at all. Only a little effort for you would get you a job at the top companies of the world.
    Also, that has to be the single most impressive portfolio that I have ever seen. Let's hope that CTS doesn't get to you before you retire, it would be a f***ing waste.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz has been working at EA for the last like 8 years dude.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Shame on you Makkon for not knowing the history of every single polycounter on the board! Just, for shame! /sarcasm

Daz, I've always looked up to you, and I knew you were an amazing artist, but seeing your models all together in that short a space of time just really re-emphasized just how skilled you are in my mind. All fluff blowing aside (besides, with your msn and cell I can do that in private, and will too *wink) I really aspire to have the type of control and anatomy mastery you exhibit in your work.

I wish you the best of luck in your career, and you better believe I'll keep pestering you wherever you end up. Any company you apply to would be foolhardy to pass you up.

poop.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Daz, hope the time off has been swell. As for the reel, I think it's very nice. You've got some really fantastic work and i don't think you should worry too much about not having that much commercial work just yet. You have a good resume. As for things to make it shorter or change, here's the first few things that popped out at me the first time I watched it (just my professional opinion, when it comes to this stuff you know more than me):

-The big burly ogre's skin texture doesn't look as real as the EA stuff. Looks very much like a wax model or something.

-the Nazi soldier's camera time is a bit much, but it does show off your attention to detail with gear, so that's a toss up.

-That star wars villain (papatine? I have no idea) seemed like a weaker piece to me. Is it an older model of yours?

-Sean Connery's hair in the high rez model looked more like a giant chunk of geometry, not like some of the other hair you displayed.

-Lastly, that red vamp 2d stuff is shown quite a bit, but if you're using it as a kind of icon for your reel, than it works. It was particularly noticeable when the splash for 2d work had it, and then the first image in the series is another shot of the guy.

Hope some of that helps a bit.

Good luck.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    wowza, yeah man not too much i can say. the reel, is about perfect i think. music was not obnoxious techno, it wasnt too long wasnt too short. the one thing i might leave out were the less polshed 2d pieces. everything in your reel is so polished and professional the pencil sketches come off as a little lacklustre.
    bravo, good luck wherever you go and dont forget the little people.
  • mrrogers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
    Ack, my version of the video is tinted purpley-pink! (magenta?) Not sure if I am the only one seeing this or what. Every other quicktime movie plays fine for me.

Dude, your work is by far some of the best. I can't wait to see more from you in the non-game sector.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Welp, is there was ever a reel to show how its done, this be it.

Awesome work, as ever Daz (the orge closeup is my favourite thing ever - such amazing eyes!). The music really fits it, especially when Bond shows his gun.

One thing I might maybe take a look at is some of the wire shots? Not sure how important this actually is, as the viewer can see you know what you're doing from many of the other characters but the first and last seem to have off timing in terms of wire - the red monster fades in as the wire fades out and fades back in as the reel fades out. Still, thats why they invented pause, eh. ;p I'm surprised you didn't show a full body shot of the textured Soldier though.

Without sounding too much like the teachers pet, this reel really blew me away, totally something to aspire to. Best of luck, though I doubt you'll need much of it.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Fantastic work! I have to agree with arsh. The penciled demons with the vertical lines running threw them and the police sketch just doesn’t hold up to the rest of the reel.

Once again Tremendous work with a capital T!

- BoBo
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool. The 2d stuff seemed tacked on at the end went by too fast and had a different feel to them than the 3d stuff *shrug*. If the reel isn't for games what is it for, other than shaming me?
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Holy fuck.

That's amazing, I just wish there had been some turnaround/3D footage of that bond girl.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Kruder & Dorfmeister, nice choice smile.gif

Looks outstanding, Daz. I have to agree with MoP about Sean's hair in his turnaround. I know it's kind of greased hair, but it still looks overly shiny.

I'm hard pressed to find any other issues. smile.gif
    Damn impressive reel, Daz. I hope you land whatever gig you're looking for.
  • Brinskee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brinskee polycounter lvl 17
    Wow. Wowwie wow wow.

Incredible. Just super inspiring and delightful to view.

Top Class, AAA work.

Good luck - but you don't even need it.

-B
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff daz, I agree about the 2d pencil sketch not as sexy as the other 2d stuff, it show u can do other style , but if u want something to cut, Thats it IMO. But other then that ya, its nice, u see what u need to see, sweet dude.

Im curious to see where you will end up, Are you going to go for a BIg studio still (like ea, but in film or else?) or try a smaller film studio and such?

Enjoy the hunt. U got the goods.

b1ll
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    good stuff Daz, the bond characters are great - top notch work. I hope you land the new job that you want! Oh yah and buy a wrist support or something.. laugh.gif
  • ThE_BirD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    Incredible work Daz!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    awesome stuff daz...I knew you were really good but as many said, seing all those pieces together is really impressive...

and I'm with SkullboX on that bond girl ^^
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    pure goodness!
    i hope ur hands will be fine :\
    take care of your body..
    only james bond lives forever

(lame ^^)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Daz, I'm sure Blur would love to have your talent on their pay roll. This demo reel is the best character reel I've *ever* seen.

Good show man, good show.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Hey, I could definitely echo the crowd and say that I'm totally dig'n your work, and am very impressed. I'd have to disagree with nitzmoff, I think the German soldier is one of most impressive pieces and the extra camera time on that is well deserved.

The one thing I don't like is that fade in and out in the beginning and end. After seeing your work, I wanted to catch the text at the end. Name/contact info, Tools, extra credits. All that stuff went by faster than I could read it all. It would be a good idea to have that be the last frame so it stays viewable when the reel ends.

That's all I've got to say, very cool stuff!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work Daz,inspirational.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    fantastic work.

i wasn't a fan of the directional blur effect and i thought the 2d stuff was thrown at me a little quick at the end.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    One thing for people complaining about the speed. The best part about Quicktime, is that you can pause it, and advance frame by frame easily with your arrow keys. Trust me when I say that anyone looking at reels for a living knows this, and can/will do this if they see something they want a closer look at. It's why there is almost no such thing as a reel that's too short/fast.

Plus there is the fact that all of his work is available in high res for your viewing pleasure at his website. This is meant purely to garner initial interest in a short as possible time frame.

poop.gif
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    One thing for people complaining about the speed. The best part about Quicktime, is that you can pause it, and advance frame by frame easily with your arrow keys. Trust me when I say that anyone looking at reels for a living knows this, and can/will do this if they see something they want a closer look at. It's why there is almost no such thing as a reel that's too short/fast.

Plus there is the fact that all of his work is available in high res for your viewing pleasure at his website. This is meant purely to garner initial interest in a short as possible time frame.

poop.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was going to post this but thought better of it at the last second wink.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    even if you know you can pause, the flashing up pics go against the relaxed, cool and measured pace of the rest of the reel and music. its not only to garner interest, its a first impression.

edit: oh and the work is fucking A smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Im not aiming the reel at games companies, hence the lack of realtime models.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as long as you don't ditch Polycount for cgtalk. laugh.gif
    Friggin' awesome stuff as always, Daz!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Great job on the reel, very pleasing to look at. I've always been a fan of yours, and you never disappoint smile.gif

As for reels in general, I've always thought about business card mini CD-R. Having a few in your pocket could be a nice way to distribute your reel at events like GDC or E3. Not only would it give all of your content directly to the person (rather than them typing a URL on a standard business card), it will definitely stand out among the crowd of paper business cards.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's an example http://www.cdroutlet.com/business-card-cdr.htm
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    slum: I bet that makes one hell of a noise. at least the last non-circular thing I put in the drive did
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Daz, stunning work. Really stellar.

I had a lengthy post with crits typed out, but IE crashed, etc etc.
    So, Im going to be quick(er):

The reel & its construction are nearly perfect. Good rez, good length. Good music choice. Good pace.

I, however have a number of crits for the work itself...

The compositing is a tiny bit dirty. You seem to have a dark halo/stroke around your chars...like they were rendered against a dark background, then using an alpha were composited against your textured background plate.
    Re-rendering the assets against your final background plate would resolve this

I agree about the 2d bits feeling tacked on & losing the pencil sketches. Remove those, slow down the 2d. Your more polished 2d work is plenty.

Also, I think you could do without that last flash to the untextured Nazi bits.

Ogre Horns have some error on the tip of the texture, black spots?
    Ogre Skin looks the worst in terms of reading "plasticy".
    Also the stretched face necklace is so similar in color & intensity to the ogre skin, it doesnt pop as well as it could.

Nazi Helmet is wayyy too reflective IMO.

Most of the skin could do with some (or some more?) SSS. The ears especially appear unnatural on all chars, as they are all 100% opaque. No transmissive properties on the thin bits looks strange when the rest of the rendering is so realistic.

Hope I'm not being too nit-picky, but I figured another "wow your great" post wouldn't be as helpful. I tried to make some honest & worthwhile crits.
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    great stuff! love those renders. Good luck!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great stuff Daz! Really put together well. It probably is a bit long. But with the work in it I don't think it's much of an issue. That pencil sketchs that Arsh and Bobo brought up doesn't compare to the other 2d art. Can't wait to hear where you end up at.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    OK, many many thanks all! Lots of great crits and I really appreciate the nice comments. It's hard to judge where you're at when you've been in the same gig for as long as I have.

After reading through all the feedback here's what I think I'll address:

Connery is getting a major update. Lots of minor improvements but mainly he now has real hair:

connery_new.jpg

Im losing the pencil stuff.

I dont think I'll add more time for stills, since as said pause can come in handy here and I wont be increasing the file size this way. But maybe I'll linger more on the last couple of frames.

Tweak the way the wireframe comes on and off randomly on the demon.

I might skim a bit of time off Ze German, although I agree that its a shame there isn't a textured full bodied shot shown, so might add that. I think I'll lose the 2 static closeup frames.

I think I'll give ol' Moff less than the 180 degrees he has right now.

Scooby no that's great man not at all thanks. Some well spotted stuff in there that I thought I'd gotten away with smile.gif I honestly though don't think I can go back and re-render too much of this stuff, since that's been a huge issue time and resource wise. Im gonna have to live with the edge issues. As for lack of skin realism which was mentioned a few times in here, I agree totally, but start rendering SSS with hair and GI and FG and everything else and you end up at even half an hour a frame or more, and for 300+ frame animations, I just haven't been able to do that. So most of this is software rendered, not mental ray. Alas, If only I had a render farm.....
    Again many thanks guys. Will post an updated final version at some point.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I know what you mean about render times. I've actually been doing some rendering lately where I have to do it in passes, CG studio style.

A GI pass with no texture, a texture pass, A SSS pass, spots & directs with raytraced shadows pass, etc and composite in PS.

Btw: The update to Connery looks great! What an improvement!
  • sevenfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sevenfingers polycounter lvl 18
    I sent a PM, but I have no idea if it went through...

Excellent work!

I didn't react to the matte-edges at all; but if you want to perfect it (and skip the re-rendering), you're looking for something called "holdback matte".

I don't know what compositing software you're using, but this is a description of the steps that needs to be taken if you're doing it in photoshop:

http://www.digitalartform.com/archives/2005/10/compositing_pre.html

Once again, awesome reel!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Daz, you already know that your work is amazing, if not...Than listen to the praise man, you deserve it. Tight portfolio alltoger, though I will say as some have, that a few of your 2d pieces can go that are in the reel...they just don't hold up to the rest of the quality. Also for your hand (the carpul tunnel, which I have also had problems with) I started using my wacom pen to model, and that has helped me 100%. Try it, and hopefully that alliviates some of your problems.

Spark
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Did you also do the short animation sequence of Bond?

Oh and one point of improvement on the bond would be the ears, as they lack a lot of depth.

Otherwise stellar work, just those wireframes kind of seem to fade out just when it becomes interesting. So maybe a still shot where you can see the face detail for example and than fade in the wire would resolve that (absolutly unjustified) feeling that you are cleverly hiding errors smile.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    impressive art man...truly and inspiration almost all images went to inspiration folder laugh.gif mind sharing some wireshots pretty plz ??

as for the bond the only thing that is not so good besides the ears are the lips , and iw ould love to see ur edgeloops on this model smile.gif

keep at it !! if u cant get a job then we are all doomed :|
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    so cool, I'm gonna show all my friends. :P

Didn't care for was the uncolored sketches, but all the 3d is top notch. Thanks for posting this.

Daz is the best. The end.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Woah. I was wondering why you seem to command a lot of respect around here, and now I know. This stuff is absolutely amazing. shocked.gif

Congrats, Daz. It doesn't really get much better than this.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    .... what is wrong with you, making stuff like this?

you're damn brilliant. give up. you've done it.

heh awesome stuff man.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting thanks KP ( and Brett! ). More tests tomorrow so I'll hopefully know a bit more. If it aint carpal tunnel then perhaps I just have to cut down on the wanking.

JK no, I gave a credit to the animator at the end. Improving Bonds ears now thanks!

Johny there are um wireframes for pretty much every model there mate smile.gif

Thanks all. Still rendering away here!
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    amazing Darren,simply amazing.

Your abilty in terms of anatomy and meshflow is simply stunning.

all the problems have been addressed already I think which I noticed,would like to have seen that 2d stuff abit longer. and of course as your oviously aware the connery hair prob.

part from that simply stunning mate,your an inspiration to us all.

john
  • Dr. Rudi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dr. Rudi polycounter lvl 17
    Looks good Daz, yeah might lose the pencils, kinda seem thrown in but otherwise stellar................still think connery looks like a monkey laugh.gif don't anyone flame me... it's an inside joke. Connery looks awesome.

DW
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing stuff Daz. The best character art I've seen, a personal style shining trough the incredible anatomy insight. Spot on likeness on the Star Wars baddie! And the bond-girl; drooool! I cannot imagine what company would not rush to act on that portfolio, be it game or film-industry... Good luck, hey it wouldn't even be luck it is just hardcore skills. . laugh.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Daz: http://www.medgadget.com/archives/2005/06/carpal_solution_1.html

http://www.mycarpaltunnel.com/

I use these, they aid the recovery of tendonitis and arthritis also. I've also had 2 carpal tunnel release operations if you ever want to mail and ask questions.

I'd recommend the Carpal Solution, therapy, changing your lifestyle , working out more, eating more healthy and switching from mouse to wacom for everything.. ie 2d and 3d.

r.
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Darren,

Really nice work man, nice to see it textured. So what kinda work you looking for now? I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding whatever kinda job you want.

-Kolby.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys!
    Ror, that’s fantastic cheers!
    Thanks Kolby. None right now! smile.gif

OK, final version rendering out of AE now. Will compress and post a bit later. Way too many tweaks and fixes to list. Totally re-vamped Connery too. Thanks to Pior for the suggestion of giving him more of an expression, and thanks all for the critique. I’ve ended up with something much better and more polished than I had before.

As a final note, anyone know why the contrast seems to be the first thing to go with any type of quicktime compression? Seems a shame, but Im losing the black the second I do any kind of compression. Uncompressed is at right. Is this just the way of things?

black.jpg
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    what are you using to compress it?