Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    This thread has had a few arguments on what is or isn't okay to post, I think discussion is important, and there really is a growing different between specs.
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    Harry wrote: »
    I know i dont come here to just see cool low res models (though that is a secondary benefit)

Excellent point, Harry! I too learn a lot from the comments and critiques in this thread. Definitely food for thought.
  • amsmntparks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amsmntparks polycounter lvl 18
    zakhar2, I like it. The only strangeness is around the elbows. Not sure what's going on with the edge loops there.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I consider this thread to be about art where you obviously use restraint in the name of efficiency to work on inferior hardware. To me it seems there's not much point saying normalmaps dont belong

This.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    A big part of the prop models I've made for next gen consoles have been around the 500 triangle mark, and never above the 256^2 texture mark, I'd never consider those to be lowpoly mobile specs, they're props for current gen hardware, xbox360, ps3.

If we'd go by specs and normalmaps, then pretty much anything that isn't current gen characters could be posted in this thread, which makes it sort of a secondary WAYWO thread.

An extra normalmap, specularmap on top of that diffuse map is quite a massive texture difference, along with the extra mesh data needed for the normalmapping to work, along with extra shader-capabilities needed to render that out.

This thread used to mainly be about low end stuff, where whole characters are made under the 500 triangle limit, where textures are handpainted, that's what set it apart from the other thread.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    I gonna be short...there are a lot of text already... :poly124:

If you want to split the tread it is fine for me...I think those restrict specs are very valuable and we can´t loose all those nice stuff.
    But I would like to see what can be done in low poly stuff with normal map :\

zakhar2: Looks prety good for me, looking forwards to see texturized
    mrmmaclean : I don´t know how big it gonna appear on the screen, but I believe noone gonna even notice his little face :)
    2uf507c.png
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I do agree with what's being said. I thought this was better named as the 500 tri thread, too.
    That current-gen chair obviously doesn't belong in here. a LOT of current-gen props are below 500, but that doesn't make them oldschool lowpoly. I agree with Harry's statement the most, he really sums up my feelings: "I consider this thread to be about art where you obviously use restraint in the name of efficiency to work on inferior hardware. To me it seems there's not much point saying normalmaps dont belong"
  • Bruno Afonseca
    FYI: there are iphone games which already feature normal mapping and another shaders.
    A 1k tri character with a normal map, IMO, could fit in here. But not a 500 tri gramophone, even without any shaders.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Just call the thread "old-school: Ya know?" and be done with it. :)
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    eld wrote: »
    A big part of the prop models I've made for next gen consoles have been around the 500 triangle mark, and never above the 256^2 texture mark, I'd never consider those to be lowpoly mobile specs, they're props for current gen hardware, xbox360, ps3.

If we'd go by specs and normalmaps, then pretty much anything that isn't current gen characters could be posted in this thread, which makes it sort of a secondary WAYWO thread.

An extra normalmap, specularmap on top of that diffuse map is quite a massive texture difference, along with the extra mesh data needed for the normalmapping to work, along with extra shader-capabilities needed to render that out.

This thread used to mainly be about low end stuff, where whole characters are made under the 500 triangle limit, where textures are handpainted, that's what set it apart from the other thread.

well yeah you could be really autistic and interpret it right to the last detail but how about then we dont allow transparency masks? and what if someone makes a lowpoly scene which is ~1000 tri but suited to a character of 500 tris? What if someone makes a lowpoly environment that uses texture splatting? or what if i say you're all cheating by using 24bit texture maps?

IT's just really impossible to set a strict guideline and i think for the most part it's up to peoples judgement if their work fits the "spirit" of this thread, (that is, generally inferior hardware and using optimisation techniques to work around this inferior hardware, whereas WAYWO is about using whatever technology is available to us to the extent we please) and to be honest, so far i think people have been really good in their judgement and only an absolute minority of pieces are ones i'd consider to be out of place in this thread - the only thing is, they dont usually get several pages of focus like this and the thread moves along as normal.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, there hasn't been any problem with the theme of this thread, since people know what it's all about, but it's about the recent thing about this thread being about what current portables are capable off, which nowdays is pretty much anything.

I'm not so afraid of triangle counts, people are very resonable about it in here, but when people start skipping ahead and using heavy programmable shader texturing, then it starts to outgrow the theme of this thread.
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    this is clearly a issue that wont go away and has surfaced many a time. i for one believe we should slowly update the rules as time goes by, i mean at the moment i think maybe max 1000 tris, 512 texture size more acceptable and normal mapping. considering todays next gen limits 1000 tris is very low poly still.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like Fabio's dog, innit.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Reposted next page.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    hawken: I realise this is now the 'mobile gaming & web 3d' thread, but do you really want to be so strict? This thread has always been self-governed, in that people point out when something doesn't fit the specs. If someone posts a very lowpoly model with a normalmap, I don't think you should rule it out just because it doesn't fit the (for now) strict hardware. This used to be the lowpoly thread, and I'm sad to see the namechange has made things so limited.

The model I kicked out was in the higher end of the limit AND had a normal map.

First off, this thread in spirit is for people to post and look at great low poly art.

I'm not really able to scan the thread for things that don't fit all the time, but when I do see it I'm afraid they get hit with the rules.

The name change was suggested by people many times so we could up the triangle limit, I think it describes this threads purpose pretty well, and it's still working as the sweet spot for low poly and low rez texture goodness.

I think we all know that this is not the place for 1000 triangle models that basically end up in high end games. For example a coffee cup on a table is far different specs wise on "animal crossing" than it is in "fallout 3" - although the higher end game might be low poly enough to fit into this thread. The name of the thread basically makes it clear, this is for lower spec hardware and low poly lovers. The rules are not hard or fast, but some things just don't fit.

The 3DS is a bit of a game changer, but lets cross that bridge when we know more about the system.

carry on!
  • A_Nub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well im new to the 3D modeling scene, and have onlt recently learned some of blender, so I made this primitive dude from a pixel art I did a while back.

advert
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm afraid you're not entirely getting the point, though. The name is what's making this difficult, before that we had a poly-limit, which worked just fine, as I see it. As cactus suggests, let's just update the rules as time goes, rather than tie them to hardware platforms.
    As mentioned before, this thread has always governed itself, and people will speak out when something doesn't fit the spirit of this thread, which is usually when people don't read the first post or look at anything else that's been posted in here.
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    i mean Final Fantasy: Chaos rings on iphone has characters and some monsters which are around 750-1200 tris out of the 7000 max. I wouldn't say that tri amount isn't low poly not to mention on of the key elements of low poly is the struggle for optimization. to get the most out of the least and with more poly per model it only increases the struggle and challenge.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carry on!

As bearkub used to put it: less talk more art
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    Hi everybody !

A lot of great work there, and really useful tips ! Here's my contribution for this thread.
    This is a character I did to test myself with ultra low poly character.

progression01.jpg
    Diffuse03-02.jpg
    Diffuse03-03.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    you had some typos .. less alk more fart

anyway

these are sitting both around 3k polys with 1024 diffuse + normal + spec and a special ao shader slot
    animations where done by an automatic script

I'm just lying so hard

made a redesign of the madcat battlemech with inspiration from marauder too
    again for mechcommander2
    poly 1048
    also did some slight polishing on the warhammer animations

and don't get hypnotized by the animation loops!

the gif animation speed differs from every browser and viewer it seems.. so could be its too slow or fast on your side

mcatl_walk_01_25.gif______________________ mcatl_run_01_25.gif

bt_walk_02_25.gif______________________bt_run_02_25.gif
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Rollin those are fucking epic!! <3
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rollin those are great!

My only crit is to think about balance - the legs are off the ground for long enough to make the upper part of the walker sway from side to side. Modern robotics solves this with fairly large counter weights that swing in the opposite direction to the leg that's off the ground to provide stability to the machine.

I know that's reading into it far too much, but mechanically, the only way to counter act this is to have a weight - and at speed the walker would have to tilt forward to provide the necessary momentum to raise the leg off the ground without falling over.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Looking nice Rollin - used to play a lot of battletech back in the late 90's, you've captured the style really nicely, they look a lot like painted miniatures. :)

Moved the pool table from the previous page from the midst of the heated discussion last page.

This was for a Fathers Day card, bashed out quick hence the snooker table having no markings or pockets. :poly124:

PoolSnooker_by_JohnnySix.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hawken wrote: »
    Rollin those are great!

My only crit is to think about balance - the legs are off the ground for long enough to make the upper part of the walker sway from side to side. Modern robotics solves this with fairly large counter weights that swing in the opposite direction to the leg that's off the ground to provide stability to the machine.

I know that's reading into it far too much, but mechanically, the only way to counter act this is to have a weight - and at speed the walker would have to tilt forward to provide the necessary momentum to raise the leg off the ground without falling over.

yes these are bit semi realistic cause it might not be possible to construct these big mechs and make them move so fast. So I've tried to match the animation style of the other mechs from mechcommander2 to blend into the game better
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    i don't think i could really comment on the motion until i also see it walk along a surface, (and what FPS was your intention>?) at 24fps it looks fine.
    rollin wrote: »
    bt_walk_02_25.gif______________________bt_run_02_25.gif
    for the poses i'd just suggest stay away from full extension, but it probably wont be noticeable once it is moving.

also your last frames = the first frames on your cycles, so you are getting a pose held on two's, Make sure you render the sequence minus the last frame, cut off @30 not 31.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Great texturing and shapes Rollin.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Guedin wrote: »
    Hi everybody !

A lot of great work there, and really useful tips ! Here's my contribution for this thread.
    This is a character I did to test myself with ultra low poly character.

progression01.jpg[IMG][/img]

really nice style, looks suspisciously like you did a sculpt and baked details..... would i be correct?
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    really nice style, looks suspisciously like you did a sculpt and baked details..... would i be correct?
    The only thing that looks even remotely sculpted to me are the folds, but more likely they are just taken from stock photos.

But who cares :P
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I say baked!!

but nonetheless great work!

Zoid: thx I was totally thinking in 30 frames length bc I do export it that way for the game. have fixed the gifs now
    I'll look into the run animation.. I think I see what you're saying and I'm curious how it will look, thx!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Guedin - that's really awesome, but the receding hairline and shadowed face strikes me as creepy. It is probably an issue of style but here are some alterations that I feel would make for a stronger character.

vanpo.gif

another thing relevant to style:, for some reason, I think it would be attractive to match, even if only very subtly, the shadow and highlight colours of the sprite. For example, to tilt the darks on the shirt towards a pale sea green, and the highlights/main colour of the pants towards a more saturated yellow-green. Not to mention the silvered soles; I feel they are an important part of the concept, tying her upper and lower body together. Of course, this is all just my opinion, and I should really just go make my own things...

rollin! inspiring work.
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments.

@Harry, 9skulls & Rollin : Absolutely ! I baked AO from an hi-res.

@Vrav : thanks a lot ! it's really appreciated. Your version looks much better and I'll try to fix the head as soon as I can
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the only issue I'm seeing there is that her tie is separate geometry but you didn't separate it in the texture - this seems like a waste considering the that the tie has the possibility to flap about in animation
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amazing work on those folds guedin, inspiring
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hawken : I see what you mean. That's a good point ! I'll try to keep this in mind for the next character I'll do. Thanks.

@Achillesian : Thanks, really appreciated.
  • ptoing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix wrote: »
    PoolSnooker_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Nice table, tho I think the balls are a bit blocky.
    You could try making the balls simple billboards with alphas. It looks like you have enough space in the lower right of the UV to make the textures for the balls bigger in case they look too pixely
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (a few posts have been removed - you'll find them in "technical talk" > 3ds hardware. Please don't reply to this message, rather, continue the discussion in the tech talk forum, thanks.)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hawken U R ninja

zoid: slight changes on the anim.. it's the same link so maybe you need to refresh the img manually
    edit: it's 25 fps
    bt_run_02_25.gif
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin I just have to say that is simply fantastic but please fix the face. But that texture man, it's amazing. I'd love to know how you do those folds.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Guedin:
    WHy not trying your hand at hand-painting the face? Would definitely come out better imo
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    rollin: In the latest animation the feet seem to pop when they're about to touch the ground. Otherwise looking good
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    PolyHertz: k! should be better now.. I kept the pop a bit to make it look like the feet hit the ground
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    rollin wrote: »
    hawken U R ninja

zoid: slight changes on the anim.. it's the same link so maybe you need to refresh the img manually
    edit: it's 25 fps
    bt_run_02_25.gif

Looks good. Rotate the foot a bit more on the push off and delay it on the passing position and I'd call it done.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    k thx! updated..
  • cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did these little guys after seeing the dragoon character very coolscreencapheros.jpg

question. iv never tried rigging for games b4. i wana make some characters to put in G mod, any got places for me to look at for tuts or info?
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Snipergen : Thanks a lot for the kind words, I hope to be able on working the face this week end. About the folds, I just sculpted it in ZBrush, then bake the AO with xNormal. Nothing really fancy I guess.

@Butt_sahib : That would be the best way imo but i'm really not confident with my hand-painting skills. However it would be a good opportunity to train myself. I'll see what I can do, I think to redo the face from the begininng this week end.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    shur.jpg

Yuffie's first weapon in FF7

512x256, 600-ish tris
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    @Millenia: I recognized that immediately. It really reminds me of the concept art for that game.

Also, answers as to what the 3DS can do...

http://www.destructoid.com/3ds-gpu-can-do-impressive-things-177537.phtml
    We don't know a lot about the innards of Nintendo's 3DS, but we know that it's a graphical beast for a portable. I was impressed by the visual output I saw at E3, and I know we only saw early stuff.
    It turns out that a company called Digital Media Porfessionals makes the graphics chipset for the 3DS. It's called the Pica200, and it supports per-pixel lighting, procedural textures and antialiasing. At its native 200MHz, it generates 15,3 million polygons. What's all that mean? Well, it means that the 3DS could be able to spit out graphics like in the above tech demo, which Engadget says was rendered directly on said chipset.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Yeah I referenced Yuffie's concept art for the texture direction, only thing I didn't really make it as brown but it looks better this way imo :p
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    @Millenia: I recognized that immediately. It really reminds me of the concept art for that game.

Also, answers as to what the 3DS can do...

http://www.destructoid.com/3ds-gpu-can-do-impressive-things-177537.phtml

Hawken will eat you alive!

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74388

Post 3DS hardware updates here :)