Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I really like that character Nina. Looking forward to see more progress. :)
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Hi people, I started to work with a programmer on a personal game project, it will be a classic top down ship shooter for iPhone/iPad. here are the first ships that I made for this project, if I have free time next week I hope to start to work on the environment.

I hope you like it, as always crits and comments are welcome :)

concept_ships.jpg

scorpion_ship.jpg

es_horseshoe_crab.jpg
  • Nina I.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    Hi Tucho, nice low concepts you have there! I think the ones you have modelled already seem to work well in tiny size, and if the other models are going to be as small I think it'd be good to be a bit careful that the more complicated/detailed vehicles maintain clarity in such small size. :)

Thanks S_ource! Here we go

baron_dollarsworth.jpg
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Snader wrote: »
    Well, yeah. Transparency-stacking (is that a real term? it is now.) is a sub-category of overdraw issues, and I wasn't claiming anything else. Just that having to re-draw transparent pixels causes overdraw. And since Vysuki asked about transparency, I only discussed transparency issues. Hence, I was confused a bit when Daaark posted.

There is a DISCARD shader instruction to just drop the current fragment/texel/pixel if need be, so it never has to be written to begin with!

Transparency is a type of blend. In order to do any type of blending, you have to read and write to a pixel's location in video memory, instead of just writing The instructions for doing the blend depend on if people are doing traditionally, or properly (pre-multiplied).

Overvdraw in general is not really a big issue. Every scene will have overdraw, because all the effects like bloom, color correction, Scream space ambient occlusion, edges, and etc are all done with a full screen quad.

Overdraw becomes an issue when you draw an object that had an expensive shader on it, and then draw something on top of it. You drew it for nothing, or you could have drawn it with a less expensive version of the shader (like just basic lighting and diffuse).

One way to get around that is to render the whole scene with a basic material, objects sorted closest to furthest, and get the occlusion query results back from the API. The GPU will return a number and tell you how many pixels passed the depth test and made it to the final frame buffer.

If something returns 0 (no pixels), then don't bother drawing it. If something returns a low number relative to the size of the frame buffer (something far away, or mostly obscured) then run a basic shader on it and reduce the time it took to write those pixels.

As for the alpha stuff.

When you stack 10 quads with an alpha texture ---
    -The opaque objects are rendered as normal.
    --Objects with transparent materials are pushed to the end.
    ---The 20 triangles that make up those 10 quads are sorted by distance
    ----They are rendered 1 at a time furthest to closest, possibly changing materials after each call

My point was that you should make your transparent things as simple as possible (preferably quads so they are only 2 triangles). Changing materials and settings is SLOW, and so is rendering small batches, or building up vertex buffers on the fly.

And also, when you have an object that is all opaque, but uses an alpha material just because a tiny bit of it is transparent, it's highly wasteful, because the whole object has to be torn up and slowly rendered transparent for nothing! why tear up, sort, and slowly render 3000 polygon character in alpha mode when only a tuft of hair on his forehead actually needs the alpha? Doing 3000x the work for nothing!

That should use a different material. It can be the same image. Just have 1 material using it as opaque, and the other as an alpha material. That's not an overdraw issue, it's a poorly crafted content issue.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    And you still seem to be missing my initial point.

From an purely artists perspective, discard and alpha-test are the same. You both end up with a 1-bit alpha for your texture, and you have to spend a slight amount of time checking whether or not the pixels are transparent or opaque. If I don't include all those transparent pixels (cutting them off by adding more triangles), I don't even have to use the discard function - as there are no pixels to drop.

Screenspace postprocessing is done as a quad, because our screen is a quad. There is no way to optimize that shape. But there are ways to optimize, say, grass planes:
    morepolieslessalpha.png
    Where all the dark blue are not ever rendered, and thus all those blue pixels never even make it to the 'discard' part of the shader.

Which is why I disagree with your statement of "use as few polygons as possible for transparent object". Though, yeah, my terminology was't quite correct.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    The way 3D graphics are rendered by the hardware keeps changing. A lot of the old stuff doesn't exist anymore. Alpha Test is something from the old '3D Acclerator' days, and not the 'GPU' generation.

The point was that ALPHA TEST was a state, supported in hardware, and it was very fast. It functioned nothing like a blend operation. You could render things normally without any of the sorting stuff I mentioned above, and resulting pixels could be written into the color and depth buffers properly.

The state and functionality for alpha testing were removed from the hardware and APIs (along with a good 90% of the old stuff). All you can do anymore is toggle a few states, and upload lists of vertices to be drawn, draw them, and set/manage materials and shader programs.

You can only simulate the alpha test effect by writing an alpha shader that does a slow(er) check, and doesn't write a pixel to the color or depth buffers. You must still go through the process I posted above. Slower because you have to stop and check the alpha value, and then decide to discard the pixel or not (dynamic branching), instead of just going through and multiplying the pixel, and getting a nicer, filtered effect.

Also one of the things removed from the old days was rendering polygons on the fly. Everything has to be created as a vertex list type object and stored on the card before drawing it.

This complicates things a bit for transparent surface rendering because you have to create and manage lists on the fly, on a frame per frame basis. These lists are also very small, which is also not optimal.
    Where all the dark blue are not ever rendered, and thus all those blue pixels never even make it to the 'discard' part of the shader.
    So you've added 4 triangles to be depth sorted, and slowly added to a dynamic vertex list, instead of 2, multiplied x the amount of grass objects in the frame. All to optimize away a problem you didn't really have. A simple alpha blend is a relatively in-expensive shader, you don't need to optimize away trivial bits of pixels. Best to keep them as quads.

*Transparent surface rendering and real time 3D rendering techniques don't mesh well, and never have. There is no 100% satisfactory way to do it. And doing it in the way that looks closest to correct is a slow pain in the ass. In a lot of games, you'll see artifacts in places that have lots of alpha planes because an accuracy trade off was made (sorting whole objects instead of individual polygons, sorting by material still instead of distance, etc). Decal style stuff can be especially problematic, and they tend to float above the surfaces they are supposed to be on to get away from depth test accuracy issues.

AndrejGrek, I love that.

Back on topic:

Here's a low poly figure I was working on until my HD died recently. Mostly inspired by the look of the character in Square's DS Final Fantasy games. I'm really bad at figures. I never got a chance to fit the hands, feet, or fix the elbows and knees before it was lost forever.

chibi_progressing____by_mrdaaark-d52d3ys.gif

I've got an environment to hopefully post soon.
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    I dont usually do this low poly type of stuff but i decided im gonna try making a generic-ish evil dictator/ muscle-head / soldiery type of dude. Right now Ive basically just painted in some light and shadow and havent really done any type of color work so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Currently:
    - 210 Tris
    - 512 Texture (Is this too high?)

sP43y.png

AyaaD.png
  • iammalte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iammalte interpolator
    Hi there,

the polycount is over the top and I´m out but I just wanted to show this one.

23jZU.jpg
  • RLPudding
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is Herbert.
    herbert3.jpg
    And his 3d counterpart at 570 tris with 128x128 texture.
    render_2.png

I'm currently trying to build a game in Unity. But Herbert for the Game is in a different style:
    hebert_neu_wip.jpg
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC0FFSDhEfo"][/ame]
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    Trying out some lowpoly trees! :)

Trees.png
    picture hosting
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RLPudding wrote: »
    This is Herbert.

And his 3d counterpart at 570 tris with 128x128 texture.
    render_2.png

I'm currently trying to build a game in Unity. But Herbert for the Game is in a different style:

why did you change the model for the game? i actually liked your first 3d model better. :)
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    011_Metapod_M.jpg
    Large Version

~425 tris, 1x 512 (Should have resized it to 256)
    Not too happy with this, not quite what I had first envisioned, so not too much effort put into it. But atleast it's recognizeable.

I plan on making more Pok
  • RLPudding
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-freak wrote: »
    why did you change the model for the game? i actually liked your first 3d model better. :)

the bottom model is actually the first :) maybe I can transfer the animations to the new model, then I can use that one instead :D
  • lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    zakhar2: i like it! i suggest more detail for his ears' texture. And maybe you could make a sharper shadow for the jaw, i don't know. i like him right now, bald and eyebrowless.
  • Micah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    Made a slime monster.

presentationslime.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Micah - why don't you do something like the orange lines? It doesn't cost any more polies, and it saves you texture space.
    AlphaCutMicah.png

Christian Nordgren - Looks pretty good, in particular the last tree. The textures might be a bit too noisy though.

RLPudding - I also prefer the rounder Herbert.

iammalte - *sigh* If you know this is over the top, then why do you post here instead of waywo?

I had a go at whipping up a scene in unity with two simple grass meshes. One made from quads, one made with a tent-shaped planes. The tent-shaped one is based on the quad with the top 2 corners clipped off to make the whole surface exactly 25% smaller.

On my Nexus 7, these were the results:

One Block (normal mapped)
    tents: landscape 25.00-25.15 portrait 23.70-22.85
    quads: landscape 23.65-23.80 portrait 22.20-22.30

Six Blocks (normal mapped)
    tents: landscape 5.50-5.55 portrait 5.10-5.15
    quads: landscape 5.75-5.80 portrait 5.05-5.10

Six Blocks (simple shader)
    tents: landscape 6.45-6.50 portrait 5.85-5.95
    quads: landscape 6.20-6.25 portrait 5.45-5.50

Three Blocks(simple shader)
    tents: landscape 12.50-12.60 portrait 11.70-11.80
    quads: landscape 11.95-12.05 portrait 11.05-11.10

And here are some *.apk files
    1 block, normals, Tent
    1 block, normals, Quads
    6 blocks, normals, Tent
    6 blocks, normals, Quads

So I'd say that cutting out alpha by adding more polygons is still useful, although it's not nearly as important anymore. What's particularly peculiar is that using quads seems to be a bit more stable if you change screen orientation.
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Aaand it's another pokemon, much more pleased with this one.

337Lunatone_Static.png

Turnaround

Texture (4x Zoom)

Tried to stick to the ingame sprites from the Black and White games.
    More will come eventually, hopefully with the same amount of work put into presentation :)
  • Micah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    Thanks Snader, I had intended to change it later because I needed the wasted uvw space, I made the model with the intent of making higher leveled ones, and used that layout so that I wouldn't have to guess where the slime was on the uvw.

I can remember you (I think it was) talking about font and layout of the presentation of peoples work, I would love some feedback on what you think about presentation at the moment and how I could improve.

presentationslimehorns.png

Thanks for any feedback.
  • RLPudding
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trying to get the hang of lowpoly and texturing.
    48tris and 64x32 texture.
    unfortunately Blender rendered with interpolation on, I think.
    tasserender.png
    tasse.jpg
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for your comments Nina I. :), and yep, I'm trying to keep the models as simpler as possible to they be readable at small size.

Here is a new model, it will be the smallest boss. I created a specific thread where I'll post all the pictures of the models related with this project, you can see it here.

dragonfly.jpg

es_dragonfly.jpg
  • Graphicalgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graphicalgeek polycounter lvl 10
    I've been experimenting with a shared gradient texture, and different shader and lighting settings. The idea would be to texture a whole game using this one texture.

cactus.jpg
  • Graphicalgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ichtyander wrote: »
    Greetings to everyone! My first time on this topic and I've got to say it's one of the most inspirational places on the web. The low poly stuff I've seen here makes me all warm and fuzzy on the inside. :)

Here's something I've made in a couple of days, inspired by a new game, still in development, Pixeljunk 1-6. I'm in no way affiliated with those cool people, it's just that the visual style seemed so very cool to me so I decided to try and make out a 3D version of one object.

I'd also have to say that this is my first attempt at a lower poly modeling and texturing so this model is still not perfect in any way, but I'm learning something new every day. The tris count is slightly above 1000 but I hope it's ok to put this here. I'll try to optimize the model even more, when I get the time.

U4Bv3.png

And here's a little turntable:
    eq3zE.gif

All suggestions and critique are welcome. Stay cool!

I love the style of this model, but you could definitely optimize the texture since its all a flat color, you only need a few pixels of each, and then some space for the text and the apple logo.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Two temporary spaceship sprites from my Speed/Fragment project:

RedRacer.gif
    142 triangles

BlueRacer.gif
    154 triangles

Rotation is slower when pointing forward because I needed more frames for that particular angle.

Here a playable tech demo on my dev diary (warning: it's quite difficult): Speed/Fragment Tech Demo
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    zakhar SDK pleasee! :P
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Mr_Drayton wrote: »
    Two temporary spaceship sprites from my Speed/Fragment project:

RedRacer.gif
    142 triangles

BlueRacer.gif
    154 triangles

Rotation is slower when pointing forward because I needed more frames for that particular angle.

Here a playable tech demo on my dev diary (warning: it's quite difficult): Speed/Fragment Tech Demo

Tech Demo looks cool BUT please make the music muteable. Not because its bad, but it blew up my ears when i tested it shortly. OH and a message how to control the ship would be good. After i found out its WASD all the other ships where far away.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT wrote: »
    Tech Demo looks cool BUT please make the music muteable. Not because its bad, but it blew up my ears when i tested it shortly. OH and a message how to control the ship would be good. After i found out its WASD all the other ships where far away.

I'm puzzled, when the demo starts there is a basic menu where you can enable/disable music and sounds, select difficulty, etc. Also on the page I wrote "Setup the options with the mouse, then drive with arrow keys.". Uhm... :poly141:

EDIT: now that I think of it, you may have accidentally played the previous demo, wich I linked in another post of the diary. :P
  • TheAfro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's something I did a while back with no particular goal in mind. Figured I'd post it here though, let me know what you think!

CvhNw.png

And here's the Diffuse:

a3jnb.png

update: removed attachments and fixed images
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    I've been experimenting with a shared gradient texture, and different shader and lighting settings. The idea would be to texture a whole game using this one texture.

cactus.jpg
    Interesting...looks good so far. :)
  • SleepingGiant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SleepingGiant polycounter lvl 5
    Hello Friends,

There is some really inspiring work on here! This my first post upon this thread, So I'm noob jelly. Here is my progress on The Herd Lord. All in all, only 1400 polys.

wip3.jpg

wire.jpg

Also Happy Thanksgiving all!
  • lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    mr_drayton: the ships look really cool, and the game is fun, but the textures for the different stages are kinda too boring compared to the ships and the whole speed feeling the game suggests. I was expecting pretty flashy and colourful spece-like stages, rather than regular grass and dirt. it's just what i expected after seeing the super saturated pink ship.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean wrote: »
    mr_drayton: the ships look really cool, and the game is fun, but the textures for the different stages are kinda too boring compared to the ships and the whole speed feeling the game suggests. I was expecting pretty flashy and colourful spece-like stages, rather than regular grass and dirt. it's just what i expected after seeing the super saturated pink ship.

That's exactly what I am working on these days! That's only a Tech Demo for showing off a glimpse of the gameplay, it's not meant to be final! :P

Thanks for the feedback! :)
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12

cactus.jpg
    Hmmm if that's your texture it seems you might even be able to make everything with vertex colors and ditch the entire texture! Cant really find any good tutorials on it but I know it could be possible!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Mr_Drayton wrote: »
    I'm puzzled, when the demo starts there is a basic menu where you can enable/disable music and sounds, select difficulty, etc. Also on the page I wrote "Setup the options with the mouse, then drive with arrow keys.". Uhm... :poly141:

EDIT: now that I think of it, you may have accidentally played the previous demo, wich I linked in another post of the diary. :P

I played this: http://ftp.artdrayton.altervista.org/SpeedFragment/03/SpeedFragmentWEB.html

Right, i saw the menu now...but since in this menu no music is playing, i didnt looked for the option there :D then the game started and played the music pretty loud :D
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    Cheeky cross-post time!

Wrapped up on a few of weeks making assets for an iOS game called Danglesmash that just launched yesterday;

Aliens_01.jpg
    Alien - 260 tris // Ship Base & Canopy - 292 tris

Dog.jpg
    Sputnik Rocket - 972 tris // Space Dog - 582 tris // Sputnik 1 - 424 tris // Sputnik X - 536 tris

Aliens_03.jpg
    Top Row L-R - 260 tris // 386 tris // 408 tris // 412 tris
    Bottom Row L-R - 418 tris // 484 tris // 236 tris // 406 tris

Planets_02.jpg
    Planets - ~600 tris each

Baikonur_01.jpg

Screen_00.jpg

You can see some more stuff here; http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110344

Cheers!
  • diamond3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diamond3 polycounter lvl 7
    God damn people, stop using Cyrillic letters in English words! People from slavic countries (like me) will struggle alot to read this mess! The same goes to Greek letters, too I think.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    yeah but it does ring with being a cosmonaut game

sick stuff stabbington, and pierate last page
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lovely work on those textures/materials in danglesmash
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    kwakkie wrote: »
    Hmmm if that's your texture it seems you might even be able to make everything with vertex colors and ditch the entire texture! Cant really find any good tutorials on it but I know it could be possible!

Yeah the cactus has a nice look, but i imagine it could be quite a bit of work to fit all models uvs to fit nicely.

I think I'd rather just vert paint em.
  • Graphicalgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Yeah the cactus has a nice look, but i imagine it could be quite a bit of work to fit all models uvs to fit nicely.

I think I'd rather just vert paint em.

Vertex painting can get you the same look, but it requires separating the mesh into separate elements, or splitting edges to get hard edges on color separation. I do agree that painting vertex colors is a lot faster though.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10

Ф = F, Д = D, И = I, all text seems unreadable for me, if you like to use Cyrillic letters, make an equal transliteration, there are full tranliterations below.

ГO = GO, ПЛУТО = PLUTO, ЛАЙКА = LAIKA, ВИНОН = VINON(i belive this is not an actual english word)
  • JimJupiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimJupiter polycounter lvl 9
    I can read it and I like it!

I guess Vinon is the name of a character, like Laika the dog on the left!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    @sauron there's really no need to quote a post a couple posts above you, which is full of images. just @username will suffice.
  • waf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waf
    11uUu.jpg

No textures, just straight up vert painting, worked out pretty nicely. I ended up rigging this one too in a basic rig and he turned out pretty well :)
  • gUnter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ stabbington agree with Sauron - do not read the text in both English and Russian. Excellent picture!
  • achillesian
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Laika Boss
    I see what you did there ...

can't find better words myself.
    Great work stabbington!
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Hey stabbington, you made a really cool assets for Danglesmash, love the style and they're really clean, congrats!

One more model for my game, this time the player ship, the full thread of this project here.

player1.jpg
  • Nina I.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    That texture is so so clean, Tucho! Looks like really well used texture space!

Because roses are red; violets are blue... And I was inspired by Spazzme's thread

violas_01.jpg
  • Blizz_kathyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blizz_kathyz polycounter lvl 7
    Ledi wrote: »
    For our last project of our 2-year Game Art course we were given a brief to create a "low-poly self" - 1000tris and 256 texture space, with an extension to that of some form of vehicle (mind you, the suggested vehicle was a motorbike, I kind of... wandered from that). About half the class chose a 500 tri limit instead, as did I for myself without the accessories.

MichelleBritton_ChibiMeModelSheet.jpg

I was just planning to surround myself with cats, but then one of my classmates threw in that it should be my mount. So I scaled it up and gave it a saddle. It's a testament to how great this industry is that I sat back one afternoon and said to myself, "I'm painting a saddle. For a cat. A saddle for a cat"

I wish I could have gotten a bit less blurry in the face, but I wanted to match texel density and couldn't mirror across without the highlights ending up in the wrong places, giving me a bit of a derp expression.

Both of the characters are rigged (incredibly simply), and once I've finished my other class projects I'm very tempted to try and animate them.

Cute! I love that you are riding a cat :)
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    tucho wrote: »
    Hey stabbington, you made a really cool assets for Danglesmash, love the style and they're really clean, congrats!

One more model for my game, this time the player ship, the full thread of this project here.

player1.jpg[img][/img]

this is very dope. It's like an A10 plowed a mig21 and this is the baby. Style and rendering are great too. Good feel.