Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    My god man! That last mage stuff is breathtaking, you made 300 poly models look like 30k polys. Simply breathtaking job with using the shading to create the fake depth that's left out by the mesh. Thumbs up for you my friend
    EbonyStallion - I think you're getting things mixed up. Those blue-ish models are the highpoly sculpts, and they are definitely more than 300 triangles. =P
    Yeah, they are high poly sculpts used maybe for Occlusion and helped the texture a lot, I dont think the models have normal maps on them..

Thanks for your comments guys, in fact the bluish models are highpoly ztools, I made them to define the shape of the creatures and bake an occlusion map to use as base for the diffuse texture. The lowpoly models in the pictures have just diffuse map applied, but finally ingame models have also normal map, in the last picture you can see some ingame screenshots and these models have normal map.
  • EbonyStallion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was actually refering to the lowpoly ones, I know about sculps. I'm just saying that even the lowpoly version of the model looks like the sculpt, and that's incredible.
  • aftslash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm new here :]

Love all the stuff you guys have been posting/working on!

Screencap from a simple game I've been working on the last few weeks. As shown, 14 tris!
    sQyUV.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    14 triangles? Why are you using a 3D engine and not simply something like GameMaker?
  • aftslash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The project is as much about making a game as it is about teaching myself some programming stuff from the ground up.

Like you said, it's rendered in 3D which is totally unnecessary for this project.. In reality, most modern environments render 2D in 3D. I don't have any experience with GameMaker, but I know that Unity and XNA are both built this way.

I'm think it's a bi-product of the highly optimized rendering pipeline on modern hardware?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah most 2d games now days are done that way. When i was making Glace the programmer did the same ting for that games engine.

Also it makes making an editor really easy, as everything is a tile anyway.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    ´nother ship for the game.

torusship.jpg

p3d link: http://p3d.in/5OKQd/shadeless+spin

And one of the environments, tiled 3x.

env3.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I like the environment, good sense of scale to it :)
  • Evanescfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    somedoggy wrote: »
    tumblr_m9honu9UHr1qk6eteo1_400.gif
    a quickie i made for a joke post in Pokemon Snap HD.

Excuse me, how can I do this?

like, how do I export a gif with transparency, AND have it sharply pixelated like that?
    I work with 3dsmax, haven't found a way on my own.

nice one btw
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    The red circle is dum and and doesnt match the rest, so I should redo that.
    50418c28a8a01.png
  • Gruckel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gruckel polycounter lvl 8
    EcoSack.png

Hello everyone, this'll be my first post here on Polycount.

Been looking through these past almost 400 pages, and it's inspired me to create some quick, low tech assets, for a small C# practice project.

Thanks for all of the inspiration!
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Evanescfan wrote: »
    Excuse me, how can I do this?

like, how do I export a gif with transparency, AND have it sharply pixelated like that?
    I work with 3dsmax, haven't found a way on my own.

nice one btw
    Thanks! I'm rendering with scanline, no AA, and saving out pngs with transparency, then using after effects to save as a .mov with RGB+A. Lastly in photoshop I import the .mov with video frames to layers, crop if needed, and scale the image with nearest neighbor.

alternatively you can scale it up in after effects and export as a draft (this keeps it from interpolating)

Here's one I did today.
    tumblr_m9pceaa4Uq1qk6eteo1_400.gif

If you guys like these I'm posting more here: http://doggysdoings.tumblr.com/tagged/pokebit
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack Skellington :D

CKHdN.gif

Keen, i feel like if seen this med pack ingame before?
  • Tili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tili polycounter lvl 7
    ´nother ship for the game.

torusship.jpg

p3d link: http://p3d.in/5OKQd/shadeless+spin

And one of the environments, tiled 3x.

env3.jpg

Could you kindly post a wireframe/tex of that environment? Looks extremely nice!
  • blorg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @somedoggy: love those animated renders, thanks for the explanation—
  • Evanescfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I'm rendering with scanline, no AA, and saving out pngs with transparency, then using after effects to save as a .mov with RGB+A. Lastly in photoshop I import the .mov with video frames to layers, crop if needed, and scale the image with nearest neighbor.

alternatively you can scale it up in after effects and export as a draft (this keeps it from interpolating)

wow. a lil more than I expected.
    still, final result looks worth it, thx for the share :)
  • Oleg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
    Some inspiring stuff going around here...
    I am working on the last collection of segments for the rts game , trying to give a scifi maya feeling to it.

still work in progress tho , I am trying to get the right colours.

D7WZC.jpg
  • ShinotoKnightZ
    So I was eyeing this forum for a while and was interested in creating a game with low polygons (Android). I made a custom character of my own... Tell me how I did?
    aldric_eberstark__origin__by_lancet13-d5d09jl.jpg
    According to Maya, this model has...
    340 Verts
    670 Edges
    332 Faces
    674 Tris
    1010 UVs
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    674 triangles is quite a lot, actually. I would try to bring it at least below 200.

Here's a model I made a couple of years ago, which feels sort of the same as yours. It only uses 100 triangles and a 32² texture.
    100%20polys%20-%2032%C2%B2%20diffuse%20and%20transparency.gif
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    Poopinmymouth: That ship remind me of the Bentusi ship from Homeworld :)

Update on a model I've been working on, trying hard to keep it under 1000 polys...

TransportDemon_WIP_01.jpg

Any Adventure Time fans out there?
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9

Here's one I did today.
    tumblr_m9pceaa4Uq1qk6eteo1_400.gif

If you guys like these I'm posting more here: http://doggysdoings.tumblr.com/tagged/pokebit

Couldn't you just import the PNG image sequence straight into Photoshop and skip the AA/.mov part of it altogether?
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Gruckel wrote: »
    EcoSack.png

Hello everyone, this'll be my first post here on Polycount.

Been looking through these past almost 400 pages, and it's inspired me to create some quick, low tech assets, for a small C# practice project.

Thanks for all of the inspiration!

Nice work! I realy liked the texture
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Couldn't you just import the PNG image sequence straight into Photoshop and skip the AA/.mov part of it altogether?
    Is there a way to import a sequence to be animated already? For some reason I've always thought you could only import a sequence as a bunch of frames. If not I have no idea how I've missed that all these years, haha.
  • kakapoopie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I'm a long time lurker and wanted to show what I've been working on recently and get some feedback. I recently began helping some local USC students on a video game project to learn about the process and have some fun. It's a fighter jet customization game, here's a low poly chassis model and texture I did for them. It's based on a Manchu concept painting although I tweaked it a bit and had to think up a front end. The orange areas are where different engines, guns and wings can be added.

987 polygons
    VlingManchuChass (View in 3D)
    iRnEI
    1024x1024 diffuse
    VlingManchuChassisDiff.png

Manchu Painting the chassis is based off.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to import a sequence to be animated already? For some reason I've always thought you could only import a sequence as a bunch of frames. If not I have no idea how I've missed that all these years, haha.

I'm not 100% sure cause it's been a while since I've done it but if I recall correctly you have to use the 32-bit version of Photoshop, then when opening an image (the standard 'Open' menu, not 'Import' or anything else) there should be a checkbox there called 'Image sequence' which - considering your images are properly named in an actual sequence - when checked, should import the whole thing as a "video". :D
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I'm not 100% sure cause it's been a while since I've done it but if I recall correctly you have to use the 32-bit version of Photoshop, then when opening an image (the standard 'Open' menu, not 'Import' or anything else) there should be a checkbox there called 'Image sequence' which - considering your images are properly named in an actual sequence - when checked, should import the whole thing as a "video". :D

Sweet! ill try this out on my next one, thanks!
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMiklas polycounter lvl 9
    Hello Polycount, I'm new here. :)
    Sweet! ill try this out on my next one, thanks!

You can also import frames in this way. I did it in Photoshop CS6. Not my solution though, found some time ago on the internetz:

- File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack
    - Then load all the frames. They should load as layers.
    - Turn on (if disabled) Timeline window (window > timeline).
    - In window properties (list icon in corner of the window) choose "Make Frames From Layers"
    - You should have all the layers loaded as frames. Now you can set their timing (f.e. select all of them and click on time value under frame image).
    - You can reverse frames order if they loaded in wrong order
    - To save: File > Save for Web

Here's a proof that it works. 802 triangles, diffuse + normal map

canchette_turntable_by_kmiklas-d5df97y.gif
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15

It works on 64-bits too. I do my turntables this way.
  • Leyto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leyto polycounter lvl 7
    Hello!

Here is where is my robot scout's texturing at this time:

scoutwip2.jpg

somedoggy : it looks nice, even if a cartoon shading with realtime shadows would looking a bit better :poly136:

Gruckel is this a zbrush baking or just hand painted?
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jramauri wrote: »
    It works on 64-bits too. I do my turntables this way.

Weird, I tried using 64-bit CS5 and didn't see the "image sequence" checkbox. :(
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I rechecked. It's there, on 64-bit CS5 open dialog.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    kakapoopie wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a long time lurker and wanted to show what I've been working on recently and get some feedback. I recently began helping some local USC students on a video game project to learn about the process and have some fun. It's a fighter jet customization game, here's a low poly chassis model and texture I did for them. It's based on a Manchu concept painting although I tweaked it a bit and had to think up a front end. The orange areas are where different engines, guns and wings can be added.

987 polygons
    VlingManchuChass (View in 3D)
    iRnEI
    1024x1024 diffuse
    VlingManchuChassisDiff.png

Manchu Painting the chassis is based off.

kakapoopie: Emory showed me your stuff.

I am INCREDIBLY excited and humbled. I'm assuming Emory will hash out further details with you, but we both liked it, for sure
  • Icarox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Icarox polycounter lvl 6
  • MrRik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
    Icarox wrote: »

I like this :) but maybe make the stone a little darker to make it look more solid
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    at least on my screen, the textures are using only a 1/3 of the available contrast range
    7942351940_c663741968_o.jpg
    could crank those textures a bit up level wise
  • MrRik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
  • Micah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    I would also give the saturation a boost along with adding some contrast.

scaled.php?server=109&filename=stoneeb.jpg&res=landing

Is it me or does that noes need some triming? tris triming that is, half the tris is on the noes.
  • jengy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jengy polycounter lvl 12
    ChristianB wrote: »
    Can anyone tell who this is?

Untitled-2.jpg

jackieedit.jpg

Jackie was my first guess, so you're not terribly off. :)

Here are the things I thought of while editing this:

1) Jackie has a HUGE nose. I would almost make sure to definitely put some geo in for his nose for the 3/4 profile view, if not just a bigger nose in the texture. The nose also hangs pretty far down near his lips.

2) His lips do contrast a bit in comparison with his face (unlike a lot of male faces) so I would darken them a bit more. Also, I added an upper lip since he does have a pretty visible one. His lower lip could use more volume too.

3) Because his hair is straight and layered, it forms almost a peach-like, soft-rounded silhouette because of the way he parts it to one side. I think adding some more volume on the top of his head will help him look less like Al Pacino. He also almost always has like a half-circle shaped bang on his forehead. Again, his hair is very round and bouncy.

4) Jackie has little beetle eyes. It makes him look like a puppy dog, and I think but emphasizing that will help tie in his signature look, and help pull him from looking too Caucasian.

5) His eyebrows, from the center of his face out, angle upward, not down.

One thing that always helps is constant reference. Take about 5 minutes, make a photoshop document with at least 10 images, and refer back to them if you think you've lost your way.

I also like not only photos but caricatures, since they really distill the main elements of a face in an exaggerated way. Try to remember to push the exaggeration until it breaks.

Otherwise I think you're on the right track! I've seen about 30 Jackie Chan movies so I had to chime in. :)

Keep on keepin on!
  • Icarox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Icarox polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the feedback on the statue, I made it basically in two days. And now with some fresh eyes I agree with it needing changes. It looks sloppy.

@MrRik - I agree, the contrast isn't there. It makes it look bland.

@renderhis - I agree it looks more vivid with your change. Would you make the change strictly with an adjustment layer? I feel like there is some painting left to be done here. Since the rock are simply shades of grey without colour. I also feel that the backside lacks some detail and polish that the side of the statue has received.

@Micah - Agreed, adding more contrast would make it pop more. And give it a higher appeal. As for the triangle count, yes it's quite tessellated indeed. I don't think I want to touch the mesh as it is now, but rather on giving adjustments to the diffuse according to the critique!Now I'm the first to admit I'm a complete rookie at hand-drawn textures. But godamnit I want this to look good.
    Especially now with the added feedback! :)

I've gone and done some changes using only the Photoshop layers adjustments, the third one is slightly over the top. (Or so at least I feel!)
    But why not realize the other end of the spectrum in order to find the middle ground, eh?

tumblr_m9y4x2aHTP1r4s4z0o1_1280.jpg
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
  • aaroon44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ower poly than the GC version.

xiaowang1.jpg
    xiaowang0.jpg
    xiaowang3.jpg
  • Icarox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Icarox polycounter lvl 6
    tumblr_m9wzv3qDKg1qk6eteo1_400.gif

shmowzow!

I think it's a bit low res, I think you should expand the tris count to 4 million and expand the texture reso to 4096 so you can see the details.
  • Nina I.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    A new low poly creature I made in my free time ( Approach with caution, they might snap or their parents could lurk nearby )

chiku_chiku_toddler.jpg
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    That's a fun little critter, Nina! :)
  • OverMarvelous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool bird! I'de dig to see him animated in a lil' gif ?:D
  • gUnter
  • Nina I.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks DemonPrincess and OverMarvelous! Might make some looping animations for the little critter sometime, but no promise :)
  • Icarox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Icarox polycounter lvl 6
    tumblr_ma10xaOjTS1r4s4z0o1_1280.jpgtumblr_ma10ouS7gr1r4s4z0o1_500.jpgtumblr_ma10luI0lG1r4s4z0o1_500.jpg
    Nina I. wrote: »
    A new low poly creature I made in my free time ( Approach with caution, they might snap or their parents could lurk nearby )

chiku_chiku_toddler.jpg

N'aww. I really like it. I think you should pose it in some kind of situation to expand on the "n'aww"-factor.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    one last time, again imo. there is still like a 3rd of range not used - its more obvious because of the amount of grey you used for the textures
    7954863516_d6b04a2a9b_o.jpg
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    tumblr_ma062yFkAC1qk6eteo1_400.gif
    these little models broke a thousand notes on tumblr which is pretty exciting for me since people have just started to catch on.