Home General Discussion

piracy stuff

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
well my second game is due to be released on feb 2nd which is rugby challenge 2006 and already it has been pirated.
amazing , when no one at our company has got his fingers on a copy yet

Replies

• thnom
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah seems he has the wrong body type.
    we had medium, small and large body types but they were all on the bulky side anyway.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There's a mole in the organisation somewhere!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    bah whats ur point realy? that just how it is in the industry, someone somewhere got is hand on it and voila its on the net. What can u do? nada
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are a lot more people involved in the process of 'getting a game in the shops' than just the development though, right? I mean, someone at the cd-pressing plant could've just slipped a copy in his pocket, since that's what happens with music regularly.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't say they have a mole exactly, they could. But we have seen games leaked from other companies, hackers and other departments besides dev. Even game review sites and mags have been known to leak games. You are just asking Bob the assist to the chief editor to post your game if you actually send it to them, instead of having them come and view the game on your hardware in your office.

Atari for a while had ever major release spoiled by someone leaking the full retail version weeks/days before it shipped. They managed to track it back to a group of QA employees. Under paid, bitter temps that didn't do thier jobs wanted to stick it to the man. Instead the man stuck it to them and hired some quality QA people. After that low and behold Atari games started getting proper testing and shipped with "less" bugs, oh and they actually started selling better.

Some people in the company blame those QA guys for two years bad times at Atari has suffered. While I think it had a hand in it all, I don't think its the only reason.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    posting to bitch about it only serves to make you look more guilty, ruz wink.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ha ha marine, I had limited success selling the game at the car boot sales smile.gif
    b1ll - I suppose I would n't have really posted about it if it wasn't the game I had worked on.

regarding moles , if you look at the pitch carefully, you may see one or two popping up.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    dunno If you caught this story or not but it looks like the guy that uploaded Revenge of the Sith onto the web is going to be doing time: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4527396.stm
    He's gonna feel pretty silly sat in prison just for uploading what was a shit movie onto the internet.
    Just trying to back up Vigs point really that a ton of people besides the dev. team have access to a near final product. It's incredibly hard to prevent it from getting out there. ROTS was leaked from a post production co.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Alot of times its one of the QA team thats doesnt know better or is pissed off at the company over something. Other ones i remember were people at the facory that make sthe game cd's or box. I have never heard of it being done by someone on the dev team.