Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First post, first serious model, anime girl

Shanira
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Shanira polycounter lvl 17
I once tried Maya long ago and couldn't get into modelling with it because it was too darn complicated. A while ago a friend of mine helped me figure out wings3d and I'm finding it much more user friendly! So today I mostly finished the base body for an anime girl I was working on.

isedone.jpg

Yes, she's supposed to be red. This was smoothed once before rendered in wings3d using opengl. To be fair my friend helped a lot with proper flowing natural looking topology and I had one or two goes on the head before doing the body.

Triangulated, including the eyes (which really probably shouldn't be two seperate spheres) the whole thing is 3960 faces.

I'm quite proud of myself right now. ^^; So ummm... critique please? ^^;

Replies

• yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    a wire would be usefull to give a crit cause right now not sure where your polys are going, seems like some anatomy issues pop up right away. by smoothed once you mean you used mesh smooth? if so this probably only added to the polycount, you can get e better result/control by using smoothing groups on the faces. cant say much more without a wire really. also maybe a concept or reference of what your goin for?
    welcome to the marvels of 3d modeling
  • Shanira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay then! And I measured seperate from the mesh smoothing, so, it's just insanely high on tris in and of itself. Which is probably bad, hee. ^^;

Anyway, stuff!
    isetopo_t.gif
    Wireframe Shots

iselsis_wip5.gif
    Character Reference #1

Character Reference #2 (for what it's worth)
    Character Reference #3 (for what it's worth)

Also since I'm lazy I might try to get the count down and use this base as the "girl base" for a game project I might be tinkering with.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Don't use 'smooth' on game-models (unless you are making a seperate highpoly model for a normalmap)!
  • Shanira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game model bit was more an afterthought, since I started the model before any of that and had smoothing in mind for it. smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The head needs to be smaller, the upper torso looks a bit weird (too wide). Remember, the boobs have to angle outwards a bit, they aren't parallel. There's a nasty hard edge below the knee, that needs softening badly. I'm not so sure about the arm proportions, the hand looks big while the upper arm is short. The shoulders need more loops for deformation while the knees should have less. There's also an unnecessary "loop" (that V thing) at the back of the knee. There are way too many triangles in the mesh for meshsmooth.