Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    very cool, been wanting those bright GBA screens on the DS for awhile
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    They should have redesigned the buttons so the A button doesn't murder your thumb anymore. The way they changed the start/select buttons doesn't make sense either, on the standard DS they were much easier to reach.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    How does the DS compare to the PSP? I really like my PSP.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Well, the DS is for playing games, not listening to music or watching movies or surfing the net, so if you only expect it to play games, I would say it is better, but if you want it to do all that other stuff, then it is worse. I don't own a PSP though, so maybe someone who has both would have a more complete answer than me.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Design is pretty cool. Biting apple's style a bit. But I really like it. Glad I got that 2 year warranty on my DS.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The PSP is pretty good for playing games on,too. But I did notice the huge price difference. My PSP cost over $100 more than that possible price for the DS lite. But then again it was really nice to have on the flight to New Jersey I had to take recently. I switched between playing GTA: Liberty City Stories and watching Beavis & Butthead: The Mike Judge Collection on it.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    It is cool, but the problem with most folks looking to 'upgrade' is that lot's of games are tied to the DS you have now, like MK and AC. I'm not sure I could give up my humble little town of Top Pond for the new system. Elmer the horse would never forgive me.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It is cool, but the problem with most folks looking to 'upgrade' is that lot's of games are tied to the DS you have now, like MK and AC. I'm not sure I could give up my humble little town of Top Pond for the new system. Elmer the horse would never forgive me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It saves on the hardware?? I tought it saved on the game cartridge...

Anyways the faster they release the new design the rarer my red Mario Kart DS will be cool.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bastards... what a marketing scam. They really learned how to sell the same thing just in a new box when they came out with the GBA-SP. I'm pretty sure it stetches back farther than the SP... Now they are doing it all over the place.

They make the DS big and bulky so it doesn't fit in my wifes purse, but she loves the DS/GBA games. We buy her a micro so she can have something smaller than a brick in her purse and still be able to play GBA games on the go. Now they they come out with this and I'm sure she will be itching to get a DS back in her hot little hands.

How many damn times do I have to buy the SAME damn system? Hopefully this one will allow GB-Color and old GB-B/W games to be played unlike the current DS. Hopefully this one will connect to the CUBE like the GBA's do...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might I suggest investing into a bigger purse for the wife instead?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig they made it sleeker, and to do so they would have to remove the GBA port perhaps? Because i cant really see other way to make it that much thinner...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The GBA port is a necessity because some DS games rely on it (Daigassou! Band Brothers expansion pack, Metroid Pinball Rumble Pack, probably the next Pokemon game, ...) and even if it's not vital there's lots of bonuses to be gotten with it (Castlevania DoS rare ring if you put AoS in the GBA slot, for example)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    How many damn times do I have to buy the SAME damn system?

[/ QUOTE ]

As many as you choose. I second the bigger purse comment.

I have the urge to buy a DS soon now that I've seen the game available. I'll most likely wait until this one is released.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The GBA port is a necessity because some DS games rely on it (Daigassou! Band Brothers expansion pack, Metroid Pinball Rumble Pack, probably the next Pokemon game, ...) and even if it's not vital there's lots of bonuses to be gotten with it (Castlevania DoS rare ring if you put AoS in the GBA slot, for example)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok then explain how they make it 7mm thinner (the lid of current DS is about that thick and so is GBA port).
    Slim PS2 is sold w/o harddrive support (and i dunno if it supports the network card) so you cant play FFXI with it...
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The PSP is pretty good for playing games on,too. But I did notice the huge price difference. My PSP cost over $100 more than that possible price for the DS lite. But then again it was really nice to have on the flight to New Jersey I had to take recently. I switched between playing GTA: Liberty City Stories and watching Beavis & Butthead: The Mike Judge Collection on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah the psp is good for playing the 2 games that are made for it. the "game" section for the psp is a joke when compaired to the selection of games for the DS. and i have really enjoyed every DS game i have bought, not to mention it plays all the gba games i have.

i like the redesign, but it doesent mean you have to go run out and buy one if you own one now. does the one you own now not play games as good? or are you just concerned about looking hip at the mall while playing it at the food court. i might get one only because my girlfriend and i share one now and we fight over it sometimes. we never had a problem until animal crossing came out, now i cant get her off the damn thing.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

It saves on the hardware?? I tought it saved on the game cartridge...

Anyways the faster they release the new design the rarer my red Mario Kart DS will be cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't save to the hardware. So far as I know, it saves a unique key it gets from the hardware to the game.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    don't forget that DS games are, on average, $15 cheaper than PSP games. I'm seriously considering picking this up when it comes out
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    This is awesome! I dont own a DS yet and I was thinking about buying one before, now Ill just wait till they release this baby and buy it asap laugh.gif
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    [ QUOTE ]
    Slim PS2 is sold w/o harddrive support (and i dunno if it supports the network card) so you cant play FFXI with it...

[/ QUOTE ]

network card? my ps2 slim has an ethernet port built-in, so i guess the network card has been integrated in that model.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I'm guessing they'll be releasing different colors at some point. I'd pick up a black or silver one.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dammit. I'm starting to wish I got a DS instead. I haven't been too impressed with Nintendo for years and I loved the Playstation (haven't played any PS2 games yet). So that's why I went with the PSP. Oh well. I only need it for the business trips I have to go on every other weekend this time of year. :P
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I gave them my concept but it just didn't work out in the end, despite some interest from shigero mamayoto

40946261_132.jpg
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    oh hawken-chan ^_^

the DS lite might finally fetch my pesatas. the original DS is nice, and i know i'd love a lot of the games on it, but the screens are too small/not bright enough. the sleekness of the redesign is fetching, but it's the improved backlighting of the screens that really grabs my attention.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Is it just me or does the new Nintendo design style seem to be emulating the Apple style a little?

Nothing really wrong with emulating an industry "best practice" but... There are a bajillion other compelling styles one could use.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well it's a path nintendo have been going down recently with the GBA micro and the rev, so it does fit in with their overall brand.

to say that it's "apple style" is to not understand product design, because there are also a bajillion things that have this style well before apple.

01v.jpg

vs

redesigned-nintendo-ds-revealed-20060126000945978.jpg

I'm not quite sure I see your point. And the DS lite only appears to be an illustration, I'll let you know when I've got one in my grubby mitts!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, nintendo are having a product showing on the 18th here in tokyo, I'll get some pics while I'm there, can't wait to sell my "old" DS!
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    I'm waiting for Hunters to come out.

Nintendo always suprises me, I remember thinking how nuts the rumble pad for the N64 was and how utterly psycho the DS sounded. Now I'm actually excited to see where they go with the Revolution.

I guess that's why Nintendo has been around for over a hundred years.